PDA

View Full Version : Pass Mountain Hut

rswanson
04-17-2007, 17:01
Two questions:

1. My Nat'l Geographic Trails Illustrated map has a notation by the Pass Mountain Hut of PATC. I'm assuming this just means its maintained by the PATC and is a normal AT shelter, not a locked rental cabin, right?

2. I'm planning on parking about 10 miles north of the Pass Mountain Hut and hiking southward. Will I have any problems parking at the Elkwallow area and leaving a vehicle for 3-4 days?

Skyline
04-17-2007, 17:10
Two questions:

1. My Nat'l Geographic Trails Illustrated map has a notation by the Pass Mountain Hut of PATC. I'm assuming this just means its maintained by the PATC and is a normal AT shelter, not a locked rental cabin, right?

2. I'm planning on parking about 10 miles north of the Pass Mountain Hut and hiking southward. Will I have any problems parking at the Elkwallow area and leaving a vehicle for 3-4 days?

Pass Mt. Hut is an overnight shelter intended for use by long-distance hikers. The Park defines that as being in the backcountry for at least three consecutive nights. There is a shelter which sleeps up to 10, an excellent-flowing spring, a firepit, a double privy, and nine designated tentsites. It is maintained under the auspices of PATC.

Elkwallow is usually a safe place to park. You can park near the wayside grill/gift shop/campstore/gas station, or over at the picnic area.

Footslogger
04-17-2007, 17:20
Elkwallow is usually a safe place to park. You can park near the wayside grill/gift shop/campstore/gas station, or over at the picnic area.

==================================

Excellent hamburgers and ice cream ...

Ahhhhh, the memores !!

'Slogger

rswanson
04-17-2007, 18:29
Pass Mt. Hut is an overnight shelter intended for use by long-distance hikers. The Park defines that as being in the backcountry for at least three consecutive nights. There is a shelter which sleeps up to 10, an excellent-flowing spring, a firepit, a double privy, and nine designated tentsites. It is maintained under the auspices of PATC.

Thanks Skyline, and thanks for the quick reply. We're hiking more than 3 nights but probably not stying in the shelters anyway. Just wanted to make sure there are tenting areas at Pass Mt. so we're not breaking the 100 yards from structures rule. Thanks for clarification on Elkwallow as well...

BTW, whats the trail grade like between Elkwallow and Big Meadows? Par for the course for SNP? I don't want to wear my wife out before we get to White Oak canyon!

Hikerhead
04-17-2007, 18:51
If she's going to drop, she'll probably do it going up Mary's Rock. I slacked packed it coming down, nobo. But it was a long down.

Passing by the Closed Panorama almost did me in, I just knew there was a cheeseburger in there with my name on it.

FYI..On the west side of SNP on 211 just before you start climbing up the mtn is a restraunt called Brookside. Pretty good AYCE if you're coming that way.

rswanson
04-17-2007, 19:03
If she's going to drop, she'll probably do it going up Mary's Rock. I slacked packed it coming down, nobo. But it was a long down.

Passing by the Closed Panorama almost did me in, I just knew there was a cheeseburger in there with my name on it.

FYI..On the west side of SNP on 211 just before you start climbing up the mtn is a restraunt called Brookside. Pretty good AYCE if you're coming that way.
Unfortunately for our bellies were coming from the east. Mary's Rock looks like about 1,200-1,300 over a mile or so. Steep but I think she'll manage...if she can't then White Oak is going to be a real chore!

bigcranky
04-17-2007, 20:36
Elkwallow to Panorama is nicely graded, but it gets steeper south of there. Not too bad, overall, though. Pass Mountain Hut is great, and we truly appreciated the trail magic from Skyline and Dr Dick :) . There is great tenting there.

Skyline
04-17-2007, 21:45
If you are hiking SOBO, you will have significant climbs from where the AT and Jeremys Run Trail intersect up to the ridge, from Beahms Gap to the summit of Pass Mt., Thornton Gap to Marys Rock, from Byrds Nest Day Use Shelter #3 to the Pinnacles, from the Hughes River Gap to Stony Man, and from Fishers Gap to Big Meadows. The rest is really easy. And compared to much of the rest of the AT, and many side trails in SNP, even these ascents aren't THAT bad.

If you can hike this section NOBO, you will still have some less strenuous climbs but can eliminate the ones mentioned above.

The map's elevation profile for the climb up to Marys Rock (1.7 mi. on the AT, 0.1 blue blaze to MR) would give you the impression it is a relentless, non-stop climb. It isn't. There are several reprieves where it gets easier, and a couple where it is perfectly level. Unless it's fogged in, do make the 0.1-mi. effort to go to Marys Rock for one of the best views in the Park.

rswanson
04-18-2007, 14:23
Thanks Skyline...I'll keep the info about the climbs to myself...probably best that way :) I'll make sure to stop at Mary's Rock as well.