PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wilderness

mountainman2510
04-17-2007, 22:11
Hello Everyone, I was wondering if anyone here has hiked the 100 mile wilderness in May. I know it is going to be wet, but I was hoping for some more advice, like if rivers will even be passable. I have like 2 weeks between graduation and starting my job so this really is the only time I will be able to do the hike.

Thanks for any help!!!

spittinpigeon
04-17-2007, 22:12
You'll need rivers of DEET.

warraghiyagey
04-18-2007, 02:47
It's bound to be a soggy trail but it is at the end of June too so just go for it, enjoy Katahdin and make sure to stay a night at Shaws' in Monson.:)

TJ aka Teej
04-18-2007, 07:26
Hello Everyone, I was wondering if anyone here has hiked the 100 mile wilderness in May. I know it is going to be wet, but I was hoping for some more advice, like if rivers will even be passable. I have like 2 weeks between graduation and starting my job so this really is the only time I will be able to do the hike.

Thanks for any help!!!
:welcome #2510
May is a great time to be up in the 100 Mile. The woods will open, just budding out, full of spring birds, flowers like trillium and early lady slippers, and if you keep your eyes open - cubs, fawns, and calfs. You'll be in there before the maintainers have cleared blowdowns, that'll just add some 'wild' to your adventure. You're too early for the height legendary blackflies. It'll be a late spring I think, lots of rain and snow came late this year, so the fords september northbounders see as rockhops will be waist deep for you. Some, like Little Wilson down toward the Monson end, will be challenges for sure. You might find snow still up on Whitecap, and for sure you'll see snowbanks in shady spots. I've been through twice in May, both N>S, one time was mostly chilly and muddy, and the other was warm and dry. That's Maine for ya.

mudhead
04-18-2007, 09:33
The rain we have had may enter into your decision. Not as much snow went as I expected. Cold rain. Sleety. Couple of the big rivers up north just opened up, some are still ice affected at guages. Mother Nature has a way of evening things out. We shall see this weekend.

The amount of water roaring around is really quite impressive.

Might be the Spring to seek waterfalls.