PDA

View Full Version : Shuttles in Damascus

Pete76543
04-17-2007, 22:42
Anyone know of shuttle services in Damascus/the Mt. Rogers area?

Pete

Lone Wolf
04-17-2007, 22:43
Anyone know of shuttle services in Damascus/the Mt. Rogers area?

Pete

yeah, whatcha need?

steve43
04-18-2007, 12:32
l. wolf

sorry to jump in on this thread, but i too am looking for a place to park my car in damascus and a shuttle ride to elk park/19E around june 10th or so.

any help or advice or a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Lone Wolf
04-18-2007, 12:37
l. wolf

sorry to jump in on this thread, but i too am looking for a place to park my car in damascus and a shuttle ride to elk park/19E around june 10th or so.

any help or advice or a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

I can shuttle you and you can park at my place. let me know when you have an exact date.

Ron Haven
04-18-2007, 14:40
yeah, whatcha need?He's a good shuttler and knows the area well ;)

steve43
04-18-2007, 14:58
l. wolf,

thanks for your help. i'll shoot you an email when i get things firmed up in the next few weeks or so.

Lilred
04-18-2007, 14:59
He's a good shuttler and knows the area well ;)

He may be a good shuttler, but dang, riding on those handlebars hurt!!!;)

orangebug
04-18-2007, 22:31
He is more than an excellent shuttler. Elk Park is a great spot to start a walk. What are your plans, because you are starting south of the ponies and Mt Rogers and only a day and a half north of Damascus?

CaseyB
04-19-2007, 15:42
Orangebug: I think Steve43 is trying to get to Elk Park over by Roan Mtn. TN on the NC state line, the place you are thinking of is Elk Garden at Rt. 600 between Rogers & Whitetop.

Pete76543
04-19-2007, 15:45
yeah, whatcha need?

I'm hiking from Fontana to either Pearisburg or Daleville, and my dad is going to join me on the Mt. Rogers segment. This would be about June 1. So what I would need is for someone to pick him up at the Mt. Rogers NRA headquarters (where he'd leave his truck) and drive him into Damascus where he'd meet me and start hiking.

(He'd probably stop by Damascus first, so we could meet up with a shuttler there before going to the NRA headquarters to park the truck). Is there a way to get in touch with you off of this forum, L Wolf?

Pete
[email protected]

cannonball
04-19-2007, 17:16
Does any one up there give "short rides and long advice"? I had back surgery a few months ago and am far from trail shape.Its hell being fat and fifty. Since I was on my back for over a month before the surgery my leg muscles are mush. I have a feww weeks blocked out at the end of May first of June for my annual section hike.
Heres my thinking- drive to Damascus, after trail days of course, get shuttled north about 20-30 miles then hike back to my truck. BTW, can one buy beer in that part of Va.?
Whta is the trails terrain N of Damascus? Is ther any trail heads that you could get on and be able to walk through the G. Highlands?

jlb2012
04-19-2007, 18:52
Four trailheads for walking through the Grayson highlands on the AT: Rt603 / Fox Creek; Scales (need high clearance vehicle or be good with driving on rock); horse trail to Wise Shelter from entrance to campground/camp store; and Massie Gap (from Massie Gap there are two main ways of getting to the AT - either the AT Spur Trail or the horse trail up to the gap) Massie Gap also costs $3 per day if I recall correctly. The horse trail up to Massie Gap is probably the easiest hiking of the four.

Skidsteer
04-19-2007, 19:00
And yes, you can buy beer in that part of Va.(Damascus)

Lone Wolf
04-19-2007, 19:13
Does any one up there give "short rides and long advice"? I had back surgery a few months ago and am far from trail shape.Its hell being fat and fifty. Since I was on my back for over a month before the surgery my leg muscles are mush. I have a feww weeks blocked out at the end of May first of June for my annual section hike.
Heres my thinking- drive to Damascus, after trail days of course, get shuttled north about 20-30 miles then hike back to my truck. BTW, can one buy beer in that part of Va.?
Whta is the trails terrain N of Damascus? Is ther any trail heads that you could get on and be able to walk through the G. Highlands?

get in touch with me when the date gets closer, i'll help you out

Pirate
04-19-2007, 19:27
I need a shuttle from Baja to Dots Inn.

Lone Wolf
04-19-2007, 19:38
I need a shuttle from Baja to Dots Inn.

$5 minimum

Pirate
04-19-2007, 20:45
Wolf, I will set you up with a date with Pam.

cannonball
04-20-2007, 09:36
get in touch with me when the date gets closer, i'll help you out
Many thanks. I'll get with you next month.