PDA

View Full Version : First try - section hike

dzierzak
04-18-2007, 09:58
I've wanted to a longer hike for a while - this summer looks good (~May 20-June ?). Anyway, I'm planning on Rock Fish Gap to Harpers Ferry. I can do this easily because of Amtrak. My questions are: Typically, how long does it take (I know everyone's different)? Food/resupply (how many days usually carried)? I've got the ATC maps and guidebooks for Shen and NoVa.

I've done a few Philmont treks as a crew advisor and have been one of the slower in the crew (it's the years-58, not the miles). Treks we've done were 70-80 miles over 11 days. I'm planning on being out for 2-3 weeks. Is this reasonable?

My only other AT experience was with our Venturing crew - a weekender, Catawba to Troutville - McAfees knob was awesome!

Any advice is welcome.

Ed Dzierzak
Huntington, WV

Touch of Grey
04-18-2007, 14:43
Having tried twice this spring to thru starting in GA, I can say that the second timw I came home my legs were swollen from the knees down for three days after getting home. Doctors have yet to determine if there is a medical condition involved. It might just be that I overextended my abilities (flat-lander who can walk 8 - 12 miles with no problems).

As someone has said on here (WB) walk slow and then slow down some more, I can totally get behind that concept. Depending on your own perceptions of what your body is telling you I would suggest the following:

1) Get up in the morning and eat a BIG Breakfast
2) If it is warm or going to be warm thru the morning hydrate by pushing 2 liters of water into your system before leaving camp for the day.
3) Carry a minimum of 3 liters of water after every water stop and force 1 liter into your system before leaving.
4) Walk 60 - 90 minutes an then take a pack off, shoes off break for 15 - 30 minutes. Change your socks often! Put on DRY socks before heading back out! Hang your wet socks on your pack to dry.
5) For the first week at minimum DO NOT walk from dawn to dusk. Depending on your hiking speed walk no more than 4 to 6 hours. Your legs will thank you in the long run for all of the rests.
6) Only keep up with yourself and not everyone else. I watched young and old alike knocking off BIG miles from Springer to Neels only to catch them at Neels because their feet was hamburger and they HAD to take a break off their feet.
7) Enjoy yourself!

Except for a couple of days and the water issue, I did 61 miles in roughly 8 days of travel on the AT. Not a blistering pace by any means. My longest day was a 10.5 miler. I only suffered one blister between my toes early on. The other advantage to quitting earlier in the day is that should some of your gear need to dry out from the night before you still have 4 - 6 hours in the evening of sun to hang the clothes to dry.

I'm done with a thru attemnpt for this year until I find out the leg issue. Then I'll next year either section hike or more closely follw my own suggestions printed here.

TOG

rjridgely
04-18-2007, 15:26
Speed will be of no issue to me. I don't want to try to do the entire AT in one swoop. In 2009 i will trek from GA to Gettysburg and plan on taking 4-5 months to do it. If I have been waiting all these years, I want to see what I am there to experience. I just can't wait!

rafe
04-18-2007, 18:11
It all depends on what kind of shape you're in and how hard you're willing to push yourself. I'm 54, mildly overweight, but with lots of miles of hiking experience. I can walk 15-17 miles a day on most parts of the AT, but long-term average is always somewhat lower -- one wants a zero day or "nero" day once a week or so. In places like the Whites where the terrain is much steeper, a good day (for me) is 10 miles or so.

orangebug
04-18-2007, 22:19
Back to the original question.

Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry offers several options to the new hiker. You are on a busy section with many opportunities for resupply, food at road stops, fairly level walking, but many road crossings. You will definitely not be in a very remote area, becoming urban as you move further north.

You won't have the problem with ups and downs of Georgia and NC, so less major problems with your legs unless you try to keep up with thru hikers hitting their prime and 20 mile days.

One of the problems for us section hikers is getting into shape each outing and dealing with the weather we find, as well as dealing with our schedules of hitting a distance within a pre-set time. I would give myself a 12 mile per day budget, and occasionally push further after 3-5 days, but allow myself a slow or zero day for cleaning and resupply.

I suspect you are chosing a very good first section hike area, but suspect you are looking at 2 weeks or so for your walk. Since you will be fairly close to home, and likely to be using a cell phone, I suggest you go for it and enjoy all of the opportunities for learning it will provide.

Almost There
04-18-2007, 22:46
I echo what OB says, I believe it's 160 miles from end to end for your hike. Easily doable in 3 weeks, plus you shouldn't have to carry much food due to all the places you can get daily meals in SNP. Should be a nice hike if you don't mind the crowds, just remember to hike your own pace and don't try to keep up with the thru's or you'll burn yourself out!

orangebug
04-18-2007, 23:44
One more thing, I would carry the water that you feel is necessary, until you are heat acclimated and learn the current water availability in the area. Each liter is another 2 pounds. I tend to avoid carrying more than 2 liters, until I begin to search for a place for dinner and campsite. As a newby, I'd carry up to 4 liters. I've been pretty happy with carrying only a liter at a time, and using frequent stops for resupply.

dzierzak
04-19-2007, 07:42
Thanks for all the advice. This section did look to be a bit flatter than some others. I liked it also because I could get Amtrak out and back.

I was a bit concerned about water because of how much I drank and sweated on the weekend last year. I gues that a weekend is not enough to get acclimated. I did see this elsewhere - start slowly then slow down - (paraphrased).

I'm really looking forward to getting out there!

ed