PDA

View Full Version : White Blaze Personals

Preacher Dude
09-07-2003, 10:15
Hey powers that be at White Blaze....any chance of installing a "Personals" forum for those of us who are looking for lifetime partners that are AT Backpackers? I tried joining Yahoo Personals and created a profile that stated that I was a male looking for a female between the ages of 48 and 58 that enjoyed backpacking the Appalachian Trail. The responses were downright humorous.Most were horrified at the thought of doing something that strenuous. One lady wrote back that she was very impressed with what I do ...but that she could never, ever do that!.......I have met several women my age on the trail...so I know they're out there somewhere.....so how about it guys..why not design a forum where we could meet?

MOWGLI
09-07-2003, 21:36
I would think your chances of meeting a "life partner" would be much better in a hiking club. Backpackers are a small minority of the hiking community. The Chattanooga Hiking Club has several hundred members, and has singles hikes from time to time. Perhaps there is a hiking club in your area. Check it out!

Papa Bear
09-07-2003, 21:42
Likewise the AMC, which has chapters in most New England areas, NY, NJ and maybe elsewhere has singles events.

I get a fat booklet every quarter with dozens if not hundreds of hikes and socials and a fair number are for singles. Most are dayhikes, but there are definately overnight treks as well.

Hey, and if you don't meet a life partner you may meet a hiking partner.

Pb

smokymtnsteve
09-07-2003, 21:53
Yes local hiking clubs are a good place to meet people. but just local people and in limited numbers..where this site has HOW MANY members..way over 1OOO...so lots more people to meet and maybe just maybe someone else would like to meet someone too...I don't see why whiteblaze shouldn't ...no one would be hurt by it ....and just think how neat it would be if we did have us a WHITEBLAZE wedding...who would wear the white outfit???and could all the members wear thier hiking shorts/kilts/ to the ceremony...

foodbag
09-08-2003, 22:49
That's an excellent idea! What do you say Sarge? Give us single folks a chance to meet like minded people? Just add a forum with the singles label. I had the same experience as Stonewall, on Match.com. I don't know how many women I scared off when I told them I liked to go for long walks of 2,150+ miles LOL. I'm still looking...DWM, age 46, seeks like minded lady hiker 40-48. Hmmmm, some potential there???

attroll
09-09-2003, 00:11
I met a women on match.com. We dated for four months and she was not everything she said she was. So I know where your two are coming from.

But we already have a section in the forums called "Hooking up" for Finding and meeting hiking partners. That would be a place to start. As for running a dating sevice here. I don't think that would be fesable. It would turn a lot of people away from this site. The site was not intended for that purpose. But if you want to find a hiking partner then try posting something in the "Hooking up" forum. Then maybe you will find someone and it can lead from there.

foodbag
09-09-2003, 06:45
I see your point. I wouldn't want to see anything jeopardize the real purpose of the website. Just a thought though....

Preacher Dude
09-09-2003, 09:13
Ditto!!!!!!!!!! I love this site! You guys do a terriffic job on keeping us posted on what's happening on our beloved trail, and I wouldn't want to see anything change the site's main purpose.

Foodbag.....that line about going for a 2150 mile walk is great !Man, I wish I'd thought of it. Thanks to all of you for your input.

tlbj6142
09-09-2003, 09:15
Check out the latest issue of BP mag. There is a 3-4 page article about finding love in the outdoors. Seems to be quite difficult.

ga>me>ak
09-09-2003, 11:58
Didn't work well for me either(dating sites). There seems to be something about going for days without showers, beds, bathrooms, and contending with bugs, bears, etc that turns alot of people off. What's their problem??:-?

Downunda
09-10-2003, 03:27
I think having a website where hikers can meet potential love partners is a great idea.