PDA

View Full Version : The wonderful world of civil online discourse. :)

Mags
04-18-2007, 10:28
I heard this program on NPR this morning. Interesting take on online discussion. Apparently, it is not just hiking forums that get nasty. The nature of the beast? Worth the less than five minute listen.

From http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9642178 :

The Web and the blogosphere can get plenty nasty. But blogger Kathy Sierra's call for a code of conduct was greeted by a torrent of posts threatening her with violence. Now some of the Web's leading voices are pushing for more civil behavior.

The woman referenced is actually here in Boulder. If you are curious, you can read the original article:
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/apr/03/boulder-blogger-a-target-for-violent-threats/

With the sometimes heated discourse on this (and other sites I frequent), seemed an appropriate post.

Heater
04-18-2007, 12:07
I heard this program on NPR this morning. Interesting take on online discussion. Apparently, it is not just hiking forums that get nasty. The nature of the beast? Worth the less than five minute listen.

From http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9642178 :

The Web and the blogosphere can get plenty nasty. But blogger Kathy Sierra's call for a code of conduct was greeted by a torrent of posts threatening her with violence. Now some of the Web's leading voices are pushing for more civil behavior.

The woman referenced is actually here in Boulder. If you are curious, you can read the original article:
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/apr/03/boulder-blogger-a-target-for-violent-threats/

With the sometimes heated discourse on this (and other sites I frequent), seemed an appropriate post.

If you want to see real incivility, visit the USENET newsgroups. ;)

Ender
04-18-2007, 12:17
You blankity-blank blank blank... how dare you post this on this site. I'm gonna blank your blankity-blank till the blank in your blank gets blanked. Blank you, blanker!

:p :banana

RadioFreq
04-18-2007, 12:29
You blankity-blank blank blank... how dare you post this on this site. I'm gonna blank your blankity-blank till the blank in your blank gets blanked. Blank you, blanker!

:p :banana

OH, YEAH? WELL #$%*&!^*%$##%!!! AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!!! :D

Mags
04-18-2007, 12:52
If you want to see real incivility, visit the USENET newsgroups. ;)

Been there. Done that. No thanks! :D

(Been using BBSs since 1987 (C= 64 with a VicModem!) . Usenet groups on and off since 1989 (or was it 1990?). Was not any better then!)

woodsy
04-18-2007, 13:13
I can see why MAGS posted this story. He has stepped into some "Goin to the dogs" threads here on many occaisions and helped quell the violence.;)

weary
04-18-2007, 13:36
Actually, as internet chatting goes, White Blaze is far more civil than most, and seems to be getting more so -- possibly only because we have worked such issues of cell phones hiking sticks. and dogs to death. We could do a bit better, however. The big advantage of civil discourse is that civility is both more interesting and more valuable for most participants.

Weary

Mags
04-18-2007, 13:57
Actually, as internet chatting goes, White Blaze is far more civil than most,

True. The hiking sites do tend to be better than most overall. I used to read soc.history.what-if (an alternate history usenet group) on a regular basis. You think we sound heated getting in arguements about cell phones? You should see these professional historians and authors get into a a discussion of a PzV vs. T-34 vs. Sherman! Talk about er....interesting.

Then there's the rec.backcountry group. Egads!

Scary online world at times. WB reminds me of some families. A bit loud and heated at times, but even when disagree we still (mainly) get along...

warren doyle
04-18-2007, 14:09
The mean-spiritedness I have seen and read on the the 'long distance hiking' internet sites, along with hiker behavior I have experienced on the trail during the last decade, has moved me to rely on the 'contra dance' subculture to be my main source of community to recharge my faith and confidence in the beauty of humanity. I used to like almost all long distance hikers I met; now, it is probably down to 75% of the folks I meet on the trail. I now enjoy almost all of the dancers I meet on the dance floor.

I need movement in my life whether it be by walking by foot on trails or dancing to music on the floor. It is more satisfying when one can share there passions with in a community of like-minded individuals.

Heater
04-18-2007, 14:10
Been there. Done that. No thanks! :D

(Been using BBSs since 1987 (C= 64 with a VicModem!) . Usenet groups on and off since 1989 (or was it 1990?). Was not any better then!)

Shell account, Pine... Ahhh the memories. :)

I just got a new laptop with VISTA. I am now 100% convinced I am going to LINUX as my main OS. Vista will soon be outta here as I have the latest version of SLackWare DL'ing now. Back to the basics, so to speak.

Or maybe a MAC later... ;) :D

Rainman
04-18-2007, 14:16
my blankety-blank dog will continue to use his trekking poles no matter what any other blanker says. He needs the extra support to carry my cell phone.

HickHiker
04-18-2007, 14:17
We all know the p.c. drill but dang it’s fun to break the rules of civility now & then. By and by, the Rockster or someone else steps in to keep the peace. Case in point: the GatorGump fracas, by far the most excitement on this board since Little Bump & Flounder’s ‘04 pix of Wal Mart’s naked summit at Springer "smoking a cigar, playing a harmonica and swinging a raw turkey neck."

Post Script: the Frolicking Dinosaurs cartel will probably hunt me down here, so before this goes to Round 2, check out F’ing Dino’s extremely generous olive branch on GatorGump’s journal. BTW, Gator tail is highly prized in the Florida section of these United States. Dinosaur tails look quite similar. So there, we found common ground. :)

Any trail intel on Barking Spider?

Heater
04-18-2007, 14:18
I need movement in my life

Try Dulcolax. :cool:

Sorry, could not resist. :o

Heater
04-18-2007, 14:27
We all know the p.c. drill but dang it’s fun to break the rules of civility now & then. By and by, the Rockster or someone else steps in to keep the peace. Case in point: the GatorGump fracas, by far the most excitement on this board since Little Bump & Flounder’s ‘04 pix of Wal Mart’s naked summit at Springer "smoking a cigar, playing a harmonica and swinging a raw turkey neck."

Post Script: the Frolicking Dinosaurs cartel will probably hunt me down here, so before this goes to Round 2, check out F’ing Dino’s extremely generous olive branch on GatorGump’s journal. BTW, Gator tail is highly prized in the Florida section of these United States. Dinosaur tails look quite similar. So there, we found common ground. :)

Any trail intel on Barking Spider?

Shhhh... intel says, Barking spider is a super secret code name for a fart. :eek:

Really though, the Gator Rump deal is in the past. Old news.
You should really try to let it go.
:cool:

HickHiker
04-18-2007, 14:39

Straight from your brain to your piehole.

Mags
04-18-2007, 14:43
I love it! A thread about how heated online discussion can become is now turning into name calling! :D

Next, I am going to start a thread about me winning the lottery. Who knows what will happen? ;)

Small Steps
04-18-2007, 14:45
Shell account, Pine... Ahhh the memories. :)

Memories..... I still use it today..... Are you saying someone finally created a good UI....

bfitz
04-18-2007, 14:57
I find a sense of humor goes a long way to alleviate my offense-sensitiveness. If I'm in a room full of jerks I just laugh and leave, unless I feel like fighting. Or mocking. Mocking fools online is even more fun, cuz it's less dangerous. Which is why it happens so much more. No BFD. My faith in humanity is unshaken.

Some swearing....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LbZ6buFbaQ

Heater
04-18-2007, 15:03
I love it! A thread about how heated online discussion can become is now turning into name calling! :D

Next, I am going to start a thread about me winning the lottery. Who knows what will happen? ;)

I think Hiskhiker has a teenyweenie problem with me... :-?

ShakeyLeggs
04-18-2007, 15:13

hehe it has a problem with a few of us on here. Typical 10 year old behavior. It is ticked that we called it's friend on the carpet for an infraction to hiker behavior. (it is on my ignore list)

HickHiker
04-18-2007, 15:25

No prob w/ Austexs. Except the term "teenyweenie" is female terminology that I don't understand. :banana

Heater
04-18-2007, 15:29
No prob w/ Austexs. Except the term "teenyweenie" is female terminology that I don't understand. :banana

Denial?.....

Heater
04-18-2007, 15:33

I think you need to get in touch with your feminine side. :D

Have her message him and sort this whole thing out 'cause I really hate to see you like this... really! You have me worried.

woodsy
04-18-2007, 15:33
Straight from your brain to your piehole.

That's the civil discourse spirit! And only 15 posts into the thread!:D

RadioFreq
04-18-2007, 15:51

STICK 'EM UP! :eek:

HickHiker
04-18-2007, 16:07
She-cats stalking male hikers with Venus-speak! Teenyweenie. Hehe. Then there's the adverbial overdosage of words ending in -ly, like really, which is a girl word from the get-go. Exclamation points are another heavy clue.

Ex: I'm Austxs and I'd really like a teenyweenie bit of luck winning the lottery, hehe!

Doesn't mean you're not loved, girlz. ;)

Ender
04-18-2007, 16:39
huh? :confused:

Heater
04-18-2007, 16:40
She-cats stalking male hikers with Venus-speak! Teenyweenie. Hehe. Then there's the adverbial overdosage of words ending in -ly, like really, which is a girl word from the get-go. Exclamation points are another heavy clue.

Ex: I'm Austxs and I'd really like a teenyweenie bit of luck winning the lottery, hehe!

Doesn't mean you're not loved, girlz. ;)

Yeah. Ok, Peewee. :rolleyes:

Heater
04-18-2007, 16:41
huh? :confused:

He is a troll with penis envy.

Glad I could clear that up. :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-18-2007, 16:42
::: I feel an act of uncivil behavior coming on :::
C H O M P right on HickHikers big toe with my pointy little dino teeth.

Heater
04-18-2007, 16:43
::: I feel an act of uncivil behavior coming on :::
C H O M P right on HickHikers big toe with my pointy little dino teeth.

Stay away from the pinky. :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-18-2007, 16:47
Darn you, Austexs. I sprayed my keyboard with diet rootbeer.

Heater
04-18-2007, 16:53
Darn you, Austexs. I sprayed my keyboard with diet rootbeer.

This link might help him with his most unpleasant malady:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002KC6001009/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_009/102-9827334-9160169

EWS
04-18-2007, 23:32

Those things are like black powder for MREs.

Jester2000
04-20-2007, 18:17
I think that once in a while someone on whiteblaze posts and then regrets it. I know that many times I've typed out a post and then upon reading it before posting I've decided to not post it at all. Believe it or not.

For the most part I find that the discourse on whiteblaze rarely reaches a point that I find offensive, but then again it's hard to offend me.

One thing that I find funny is that often a member takes a shot at another member and then other folks are offended, not realizing that the two people involved are actually friends. This would be apparent at a camp fire, but not so much in this disconnected little world.

All in all I'll take what we've got. Being surrounded only by like-minded individuals sounds rather boring.

Nightwalker
04-21-2007, 01:40
I think that once in a while someone on whiteblaze posts and then regrets it. I know that many times I've typed out a post and then upon reading it before posting I've decided to not post it at all. Believe it or not.

For the most part I find that the discourse on whiteblaze rarely reaches a point that I find offensive, but then again it's hard to offend me.

One thing that I find funny is that often a member takes a shot at another member and then other folks are offended, not realizing that the two people involved are actually friends. This would be apparent at a camp fire, but not so much in this disconnected little world.

All in all I'll take what we've got. Being surrounded only by like-minded individuals sounds rather boring.

A couple of months ago, I was so messed up emotionally that I just flew off at everyone and everything here. I really wish that I could take that back. I don't actually have enough friends to run off any of them, and acting like I did makes me, or anyone doing that, appear to be a real bouncing Betty. It's hard to argue with someone over anything when you don't know if they're going to go ballistic over the least little thing, and I believe that I have managed to become that person. I wish that I knew how to change that perception!

The strangest thing is that people who know me in person would probably tell you that I am a nice, not too weird guy. I do burn way too many bridges, though...

Good thread, Mags. Thanks a lot for the topic.

SGT Rock
04-21-2007, 06:35
I heard this report the other morning as I was getting ready to head up here to Ft Thomas. It sounded very familiar. VERY familiar.