PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP conditions??

Fannypack
04-18-2007, 19:21
See extract below from Catchup's Apr 18 journal entry, http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=174714 :

"During the hike, we met a Trail Runner who told us there were 57 blow downs in the next 3 miles."

I assume she is referring to the 3 miles from Newfound gap to Icewater Shelter....

Has GSMNP been hard hit by the recent wind, snow, rain, etc?????

humunuku
04-18-2007, 20:17
Has GSMNP been hard hit by the recent wind, snow, rain, etc?????

Light snow last sunday, little rain this week, but its been quite windy the past few days. so I guess I could sum it up as yes

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-18-2007, 20:17
They had winds of about 100 MPH several times from Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday morning.

Pennsylvania Rose
04-19-2007, 12:36
Our spring break trip to the Smokies was at the perfect time - warm and sunny, with spring beauties blooming in all the gaps, trillium and bloodroot lower down. We went home the afternoon of Apr 4th - just ahead of a cold front. My girls would have been sad when they couldn't have climbed Shuckstack firetower this week

FishBone
04-19-2007, 13:38
According to the GSMNP website, there were many blowdowns from Clingmans Dome to Cosby Knob, particularly bad from Clingmans to Newfound Gap. Trail crews will be out today to Sunday to clear the mess. :banana Pretty quick, me thinks! Many thanks to the folks that maintain the AT in more than just passable condition!

lobshot
04-19-2007, 13:50
I spent Sunday nite at the Birch Springs campground (#113). It was a night to remember. I have never seen a prolonged wind like that.

Chaco Taco
04-19-2007, 14:10
when I was up last month, the worst spots were Mt Collins to Newfound.

Brushy Sage
04-21-2007, 09:55
GSMNP officials advise AT hikers that their hikes will be slowed down, but not stopped, by trees fallen across the trail:

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770420102

jettjames
04-22-2007, 16:47
most of the blow downs are cleared at this point. the last few were between icewater spring and tri corner knob shelters. maybe a dozen or so, including one that took 10 feet of trail with it, and one 75 footer that fell ON the whole trail, making a nice walk around. fun fun fun. last monday one hiker counted 80 blow downs in a five mile stretch from clingman's to newfound gap.
I hiked out of the smokies this afternoon at 1pm with 80 degree weather and a clear sunny sky, better than the snow and rain we had the last few days, well, beore yesterday which was overcast and 60.
I'm at standing bear, just chillin. on to hot springs in the morning.

jettjames

Nightwalker
04-22-2007, 20:37
I was on a different trail last week, and the wind and blow-downs were some of the worst that I've been in. It was WILD!