PDA

View Full Version : florida

austrianhiker
09-08-2003, 02:51
my girlfriend and i are both going to florida for 2 months. ft meyer area.

does anyone know of any good hiking trails?

manzana
09-08-2003, 07:15
Where to start? Visit the Florida Trails website. My favorite is Big Cypress on the road from Ft. Meyers to Ft. Lauderdale. It is a different experience from the AT for sure. You can pitch your crampons. 8-)
manzana

highway
09-08-2003, 07:41
Look at:

http://www.florida-trail.org/

For the Florida Trail asociation

To use an understatement, it may not be what you are used to, but it has it's own unique beauty...you just have to get used to it!
Good Luck!

highway
09-08-2003, 07:54
There is an interesting and very pretty trail through the Ocala National Forest, 60+ miles, easily broken up which I highly recommend. It is located in central Florida, north of Orlando and Disney World, west of Daytona Beach.

It is interspersed with campgrounds with swimming areas of crystal clear water bubbling up from the ground from the Appalachian aquifer. When it rains in the Appalachian Mountains and seeps underground, much of it comes to Florida inside that natural aquifer. No mountains, though, but it's quite a pleasant and interesting hike.

But if you are not accustomed to the heat, start it in the Fall-cooler with fewer insects(mosquitos)!:D

gravityman
09-08-2003, 10:00
I vote for the florida trail through Ocala National Forest. It's VERY cool in sections. I have hiked other sections of the florida trail. This is the only one that I know of that is worth mentioning. (well, actually, the section along the sawannee river is very good too).

But I would really concentrate on canoeing while you are down there. The wilderness waterway from the 10,000 island area to Flamingo key is one of the best. There are lot of GREAT spring fed rivers too. That's what I did most of when I was in florida for 5 years. Sea kayaking as well...

Gravity Man