PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike GSMNP Transport

Shrkbit143
04-19-2007, 11:32
I would like to section hike the GSMNP AT trail from one end to the other. I am having problems figuring out transportation. How can I get to Fontana Dam from some town by the GSMNP like Gatlinburg. And then when I come out at 40, how do I get back to where I started? I was thinking of driving to Gatlinburg and then getting a bus to Fontana dam but can't find a bus. Any suggestiong welcome.

lobshot
04-19-2007, 11:37
I would like to section hike the GSMNP AT trail from one end to the other. I am having problems figuring out transportation. How can I get to Fontana Dam from some town by the GSMNP like Gatlinburg. And then when I come out at 40, how do I get back to where I started? I was thinking of driving to Gatlinburg and then getting a bus to Fontana dam but can't find a bus. Any suggestiong welcome.

Leave your car at Standing Bear Farm which is just outside the northern end of the park. Curtis owns it and will shuttle you to Fontana. The trail goes right past his hostel.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-19-2007, 11:39
Curtis at Standing Bear hostel (http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/) or Jeff and Nancy at The Hike Inn (http://www.thehikeinn.netfirms.com/)

Captain Slider
04-19-2007, 11:55
Slider and Big Hose are arriving in Erwin this Sunday.. April 22 around noon. We need a shuttle to Carver Gap to start our section back to Erwin. Anyone able to suggest a shuttle that will work on Sunday? .. Also.. what is the trail condition after all the cold weather..

Small Steps
04-19-2007, 14:09
I am doing a section hike in about a month and have been checking into shuttle services from Newfound Gap to Springer. After contacting several services I got a real good offer (IMHO) from Mr Johnson @ [email protected].

You might ping him and ask for a quote.

Lilred
04-19-2007, 17:25
I agree with standing bear farm. Leave your car there, shuttle with Curtis to Fontana and hike back to your car. It's always nicer to get to your destination and have your ride waiting there for you, rather than have to figure out the logistics of getting back to it.

Jeanette
04-19-2007, 17:33
Last year I did just what LilRed suggested above... left my car at Standing Bear Farm and had Curtis shuttle me to Fontana. It worked out great. Standing Bear Farm is a stone's throw from the trail, literally.

Shrkbit143
04-20-2007, 13:55
Thanks everyone, great input.

ken209
04-20-2007, 20:42
Thanks everyone, great input.
When are you going, planning same hike soon.

Photofanatic
04-21-2007, 11:41
We are driving down from Southern Ohio June 8th to Fontana Dam then doing a 10 to 12 day section hike. Would be happy to help out. You can e-mail us.

Bilko
04-21-2007, 14:07
Mountain Moma's (and Papa) gave me a ride from Davenport to Fontana Dam. I parked my car a short distance from their place at a Ranger Station. Car was safe from vandals.