PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Pole & Glasses Question

campbell
04-19-2007, 12:03
I have an older pair of Tracks hiking poles made by Cascade Designs in Seattle. I am certain they don’t compare weight wise to a modern pair. I am comfortable with them but would be willing to replace them if necessary. I have two options in regards to the bottom of the hiking pole. Currently I have approximately a one inch piece of rubber on the bottom, which has served me well in Yosemite and the Grand Canyon, but I am not sure about how well the rubber will work on the A.T. from Springer to Hot Springs. If I remove the rubber I then have a piece of steel about a quarter inch in diameter with a point on it. This also exposes the threads that attach the rubber section to the pole and I suspect the threads would become ruined over a period of use on the trail. Should I hike with the rubber section attached, rubber section removed, or consider new hiking poles? I am one that is a supporter of hiking poles and I feel naked without them. Eliminating them is not a personal option for me.

Also, I will be carrying an extra set of glasses in my pack in the case they came in. I noticed that the case for the glasses is somewhat heavy. What is the most common item on the trail to carry an extra set of glasses in?

Thanks

Touch of Grey
04-19-2007, 12:13
During my time out there on the AT this year I saw both arrangements. The bare tips and people using the rubber tips. I guess I can see both sides of the coin on this and so I would say take the rubber tips with and try them out with and without.

Personally there might be times like wet rocky areas that the metal points might be more advantageous. On the other side are those who say that the metal points are causing damage to the environment and in a way I can also see that point also.

You are the one using thema dn the one who needs to feel comfortable in the placement and ability of the pole to do what you want it to at any given moment.

TOG

Fiddler
04-19-2007, 12:44
Also, I will be carrying an extra set of glasses in my pack in the case they came in. I noticed that the case for the glasses is somewhat heavy. What is the most common item on the trail to carry an extra set of glasses in?

Thanks
I use glasses for reading, but don't need them for normal activity. If you need glasses for safe vision during a hike use a hard case that will offer proper protection for the extra pair and don't be concerned with an ounce or two more for that protection.

Outlaw
04-19-2007, 13:33
I concur with Fiddler, if you're going to carry an extra pair of glasses, be sure to use a hardsided and well padded case. My question (as a full time eyeglass wearer) is why carry a second pair?

I carry duct tape that will serve me well if I lose a nose pad. I carry a mini screwdriver with extra eyeglass screws in the handle for missing temple or frame screws and I can fashion a temporary temple out of a piece of wire. When I get back to civilization, I can get them repaired correctly then. If you are going to use a bounce box, you can put your spare pair in there and send them ahead until you need them.

mudhead
04-19-2007, 17:48
Third the hard, falluponable case. I would rather be safe.

Smile
04-19-2007, 18:47
Yup.
Have a great hike :)

onesocktwin
04-19-2007, 19:06
Ditto the hard case for glasses because the odds are that you will fall down. I carry/wear regular and sunglasses as my eyes are very light sensitive. I need the regular in heavily wooded areas and at night.

I use 2 hiking poles with rubber tips. I find the rubber more secure on wet slick rocks and scree. I can't remember any instance where the points would have helped and I don't like to see the damage to the trail either.

Have a great hike!

Appalachian Tater
04-19-2007, 20:27
I carried an extra pair of glasses in a cylindrical pill bottle that the drugstore gave me. It was a tiny bit too short so I heated the bottom and pushed it out while the plastic was soft. I cut out round pieces of thin foam packing material to pad the ends. Strong and very lightweight.

However, they were a spare pair, I never used them, and wish I hadn't carried them. (But hindsight is better than foresight!)

Pirate
04-19-2007, 20:42
Throw your hiking poles away. If you need a pole there are plenty of sticks you can use. Why pay $60.00 for a piece of fiberglass that you will not use.

warraghiyagey
04-19-2007, 20:43
. . . (But hindsight is better than foresight!)

But is farsight better than nearsight?:rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
04-19-2007, 20:47
Throw your hiking poles away. If you need a pole there are plenty of sticks you can use. Why pay $60.00 for a piece of fiberglass that you will not use.

I bought my hiking poles on the trail. One at Hurd Brook and one near Gentian pond. They were lost beaver sticks from dams, more sturdy than any you can get at an outfitter and the same weight as my friends' $60+ sets. And they cost exactly 0 dollars and 0 cents. They are with my gear and headed back to Katahdin in June.:) :)

Moon Monster
04-20-2007, 11:21
but I am not sure about how well the rubber will work on the A.T. from Springer to Hot Springs. If I remove the rubber I then have a piece of steel about a quarter inch in diameter with a point on it. This also exposes the threads that attach the rubber section to the pole and I suspect the threads would become ruined over a period of use on the trail. Should I hike with the rubber section attached, rubber section removed, or consider new hiking poles?

In my experience, the biggest problem with the rubber feet of most makes is that they get sucked off in mud. This is for feet that just slide over the metal tips (found on Leki, Komperdell, Masters, etc.) No matter how tight they seem to fit, they can come off, and if the mud is deep enough, you will loose them. Another issue with push-on feet is the metal tips cutting through the rubber and poking out the end.

However, your make's screw-on feet is a really nice feature, so you probably won't have the mud sucking or poking-thru problems since the threads would secure the feet. I wish new makes offered that feature.

But, indeed, I think you may have a problem ruining the threads if you go without the rubber feet from banging against rocks all day. (Though, the southern AT segment you mention is less rocky than Yosemite and the GC.) Also, metal tips can themselves become damaged, bent, or pushed up into the shaft--all problems preventable with the rubber feet.

I have found benefits with both rubber feet and the metal tips. I think the rubber softens the sound of the poles hitting the ground and it acts as a wider, more stable base on dirt. But, I do find that the metal tips on Lekis and Masters poles grip rock more securely.

The only reason I do not use rubber feet, is because on my poles, they push-on and I keep loosing them in the mud.

saimyoji
04-20-2007, 11:26
Get the bendable indestructible types that are out there. A little more pricey perhaps....

Try this: wrap your extra pair in a ziplock, then drop that in your water bottle (assuming you use a wide mouth). You'll always have them protected, even when there's only a little bit of water in there, and you'll always know where they are.

hammock engineer
04-20-2007, 11:34
I like my hard case. Worth a couple oz to me. My spares are also my sunglasses. So if you see someone at night with sunglasses, it's either me or Ellwood Blues

rswanson
04-20-2007, 12:58
My glasses are in my pack (hike in contacts) in a hard case. I scrounged the free eyeglass case bin at my optometrist for the lightest case I could find. It weighs right around an ounce or so.

As for poles, use the ones you have until they break. I've hiked both with and without the baskets. Without, the threads do get chewed up, but I don't really find they add much unless I'm hiking in deep mud or snow...

Earl Grey
04-20-2007, 14:03
I like my hard case. Worth a couple oz to me. My spares are also my sunglasses. So if you see someone at night with sunglasses, it's either me or Ellwood Blues

I thought of Corey Hart, Sunglasses at Night when I read that. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXw4qqQqTrY

mythicyeti
04-24-2007, 11:54
Try this: wrap your extra pair in a ziplock, then drop that in your water bottle (assuming you use a wide mouth). You'll always have them protected, even when there's only a little bit of water in there, and you'll always know where they are.

:-?

This is funny and functional...It would probably only displace a very small amount of water and would be bomber in protecting your glasses.

johnny quest
04-24-2007, 12:46
heres a reason to carry an extra pair of specs:
while hiking once i had to jump a stream. it was hot and sweaty and i wasnt wearing a glass strap. as i landed the glasses flew off my head. it took 20 minutes of very careful searching to find them.
yes, i felt stupid. and yes, im glad no one was around to see it.