PDA

View Full Version : Gift of gear

Pennsylvania Rose
04-19-2007, 15:20
My son is turning 16 in June. He is NOT getting a car. I asked him the other day if he'd be interested in getting backpacking equipment. He said yes, but I'm not exactly sure what to get him. He has a relatively new sleeping bag. It's kind of heavy and bulky, but I don't think I can afford to get him a nice down bag (besides, I want one first!). I've been thinking about getting him a new backpack. He's always used an external frame pack - first an REI youth pack, and now my old 70's era one. He really likes the pack he's using - it's light, not a lot of bells and whistles, the right number of pockets, and about the right size (not sure of the cc, but it works for 5 day trips just fine). It's unfixably falling apart at this point.

We mostly do 2-3 night trips, although he has plans for a thru when he graduates hs. I can't spend a ton of money, but I want to get him something he'll get years of use out of. Do you guys have any pack recommendations? Or any other gear recommendations that he might like?

Whistler
04-19-2007, 15:30
Packs are such a personal thing, I'd look for a different gear gift. How about a shelter of some sort? Tent, tarp, tarptent, hammock?

-Mark

TN_Hiker
04-19-2007, 15:37
ditto on the shelter. for a $100 bucks or so you can get him a Hennessy Hammock and he will be the coolest kid on the block.

Matteroo
04-19-2007, 15:53
If you go with packs, certainly, it can't be a 'surprise' custom fitted and the one that works best for him-unless you go to the store ahead of time and try them on-in which case it may not be much of a surprise. If the pack is the thing you want to go with-maybe go to the best backpack place around and have the time and moolah set up so that you can tell him-we're going to spend as much time as you need trying a pack on. Prepare in case for a bit of disappointment if not a single one seems to work-but it could spur him to want to find out which pack he thinks would work or whatnot, by scouring the internets.

cool gift idea though! : ) Some cool, lightweight, and usable camping gear is a great gift for a young guy interested in the out of doors, I would say. Better than any video game or piece of electronics!

rafe
04-19-2007, 15:57
Why not just a gift certificate at your favorite outfitters? You could of course supply "guidance" or advice on the final purchase.

Earl Grey
04-19-2007, 17:15
Whatever you do get him an Atmos 50 then he can be stunning like this guy here.

:p

/I wish

mudhead
04-19-2007, 17:39
Pocket Rocket.

Blacklite pot.

Quality, two person tent. (Trust me.)

JetBoil is cool, but you want long term. Pocket Rocket has cool case and you don't have to worry about him spilling fuel while watching his hiking partner pop the tent.

Whistler
04-19-2007, 17:58
Good idea, Mudhead. A nice, light kitchen set could be cool. Maybe something like this (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/MSR104) or this (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/SN900), with some fuel and a lexan spoon thrown in.
-Mark

Pennsylvania Rose
04-20-2007, 09:30
cool gift idea though! : ) Some cool, lightweight, and usable camping gear is a great gift for a young guy interested in the out of doors, I would say. Better than any video game or piece of electronics!

Thanks. He and his dad are computer geeks, so the electronics is well covered (too well, in my opinion). Backpacking is the only "sport" he's interested in, so I want to encourage him.

Thanks for the ideas! I've been messing around with making a hammock. I was thinking of making each of us one if we like it when I'm done with the first.

Funny, I just replaced my ancient whisperlite with a pocket rocket specifically so I wouldn't freak when the kids cook. We're going to experiment with alcohol stoves this summer.

I wanted to replace his pack because the one he's been using is totally torn up. I've repaired it several time, but it's on its last legs. It doesn't have to be a surprise, but I'll probably end up ordering, rather than buying it in person. Any companies/brands you've been really happy with?

Whistler
04-20-2007, 10:17
Get him a ULA pack (http://www.ula-equipment.com). They're lightweight with heavy-duty construction.
-Mark

DawnTreader
04-20-2007, 12:01
I second the ULA