PDA

View Full Version : The Barn (Gorham)

pedxing
09-08-2003, 15:16
I found this to be a good place. People there are helpful and respectful. I was glad I stopped in for a night.

10 $ for the bed, 4$ for shower, 1.50$ each to wash or dry clothes (i.e. 3$ for both). Bikes available for errands, free shuttle to nearby trail heads and for nearby errands.

peakbagger
11-18-2003, 13:52
The Libby House Inn which also contains "The Barn" was recently sold. No information on the new owners or if they will continue the tradition of hosting thruhikers

I found this to be a good place. People there are helpful and respectful. I was glad I stopped in for a night.

10 $ for the bed, 4$ for shower, 1.50$ each to wash or dry clothes (i.e. 3$ for both). Bikes available for errands, free shuttle to nearby trail heads and for nearby errands.

Jack Tarlin
11-18-2003, 15:57
Peakbagger---If this is true, then it happened in the last 4 weeks. Please post details if you've got them.

rickb
11-18-2003, 18:48
I know its been up for sale for some time. A heck of a property for $300K. If only it had a few more rooms to offer...... If only I had a few more dollars to spare. So close, yet so far.

The Colonial Comfort Inn (Hikers Paradise) has been/was/is up for sale for some time too.

BooBoo
03-16-2004, 00:25
If Paul and Maggie have indeed sold the Libby House I hope that the new owners will keep the Barn running. Yogi and I didn't stay at The Barn in '98,we stayed with some family friends that lived nearby. We ended up living at The Barn during the summer of '99 doing shuttles for our stay. Paul,Maggie and Scavenger are some of the best folks that you will ever met. If the new owners continue to operate The Barn they will have some very big shoes to fill.

PS I still have my Barn shirt. As it is a bit holey I've retired it except for Trail Daze.

BooBoo

TJ aka Teej
03-16-2004, 09:38
If Paul and Maggie have indeed sold the Libby House I hope that the new owners will keep the Barn running.
Hi BooBoo :welcome

Yup, the Barn was sold. It was posted about on the at-l a few weeks ago, a hiker named Doc bought it, will keep it running in just about the same manner, although Scavenger wasn't kept on.

Lone Wolf
06-10-2004, 08:12
According to "Dirty Bird", The Barn in Gorham IS open for hikers. He was there recently. Guy named Doc owns it. This was on Trail Journals.

Jack Tarlin
06-14-2004, 22:46
Some very good news: I spoke today with the new owner of the Barn, Dr. Regan.

The Barn WILL be open (and already is) as a hiker hostel this year, and apparently, very little has changed. A bunk and shower will be $14.00.

Rooms are also available in the main house, the Libby House B&B.

Dr. Regan sounded very enthusiastic about the upcoming hiker season and said he's really looking forward to meeting this year's hikers.

This is great news, as the Barn was, for many years, one of the best hiker facilitiies on the whole Trail and was absolutely the best place to stay in Gorham. Anyone needing more information regarding services, prices, etc. can call 603-466-2271

ridgewalker777
07-09-2004, 11:26
I've heard good and bad about the two main hostels in Gorham--Hiker's Paradise is the popular spot, but the owners have gotten some flack for occasionally being unfriendly. The Barn's new owner is a professional, strict with his rules and a bit inflexible--he does offer shuttles, to be paid up front...There are a couple alternatives in "Alpine lodge" or something to that effect, which runs a little more dough with more privacy and a lot of 38 buck motels which would make a lot of sense split two or three ways.

Hammock Hanger
07-09-2004, 12:59
... occasionally being unfriendly. .
I just spoke with a gentleman over at the Hiker Paradise. All I did was ask if they took maildrops. He really bit my head off. NO NO NO!!! -- Then again who knows what kind of day he has had. I'm not always so chipper myself!:o

So do not send them there. Unfortunately I used an old thru-hiker handbook and sent one there (which I didn't mention when I spoke to the guy, mainly because he did not give me a chance.)

Use CURRENT data when planning maildrops. Also call for confirmation even if the book says they do in case there has been a policy change. No sense spending good money after bad.

Sue/HH

Hammock Hanger
07-09-2004, 13:03
I just spoke with Doc over at the Barn. Just checking in advance to see if there was any need for a reservation. The hostel is a first come first serve, as most are.

He says he hasn't had any problems yet with not having enough space. -- He was very friendly and nice to chat with. Sue/HH

big_muddy
07-30-2007, 13:20
Just got done with doing a section, Hanover to Pinkham Notch. Stayed two nights at the Barn. I had heard a lot of negative things about Doc and the Barn from some SoBos. Turns out that is wrong. I had a lovely and positive experience with Doc and the Barn. Still a great place to stay. Yes there are rules and you should follow them. If you're not immature and planning on hitting Gohram the Barn is a fine place to stay.

Time To Fly 97
07-30-2007, 16:15
I stayed at Hiker's Paradise in '97. The owner is foreign and if you listen closely to his impatient sounding responses, you may pick up the family guy, kindness and genuine interest in hikers that is more evident when you meet him in person. This is just an IMHO post and not meant to sidetract from the Barn which I know nothing about. : )

Happy hiking!

TTF

peakbagger
06-15-2008, 17:05
While driving by The Barn in Gorham over the last few weeks I noticed that there is a closed sign on the barn and the usually AT hostel signs were not evident. This is rare as its usually open by now. I will check it when I am back in town next week.

Jack Tarlin
06-18-2008, 00:06
The best thing hikers can do these days in Gorham is find a friend and share a motel room.

And this has been true for several years at least.

rafe
06-18-2008, 00:27
From personal experience, I'd recommend the "Royalty Inn" in Gorham -- it has a huge, beautiful indoor pool and hot tub on the premises and is reasonably priced. It's a stone's throw from where Rtes. 16 and 2 intersect, on the east end of the main strip. (Link (http://www.royaltyinn.com/rates.htm) to room rates.)

warraghiyagey
06-18-2008, 00:54
I have found Hiker's Paradise to be an adequate and fun if you can apreciate Bruno kind of place. I'm glad to hear Doc is no longer associated with the barn. Harsh dude. My experience. Stayed there for about eleven minutes in '06. Left when he started talking. Bad energy. My experience. Didn't have another experience like that either year.

minnesotasmith
06-18-2008, 06:53
I stayed at Hiker's Paradise in '97. The owner is foreign and if you listen closely to his impatient sounding responses, you may pick up the family guy, kindness and genuine interest in hikers that is more evident when you meet him in person. This is just an IMHO post and not meant to sidetract from the Barn which I know nothing about. : )

Happy hiking!

TTF

And it was fine IMO. The owners are simply consistent, expecting that guests will follow the rules and do what they say they will. Do those, and they're fine. Good Germanic people, salt-of-the-earth types, IMO.

peakbagger
06-20-2008, 15:58
As of toay 6/20, the Barn appears open again. The closed sign is gone and the the AT hostel sign is out. Must have been closed for bug season!:confused:

Jack Tarlin
06-20-2008, 19:47
Um, note to Smitty:

The proprietor of Hiker's Paradise is Bruno Janicki, who, unless I'm very much mistaken, is of Polish heritage.

I know you're into the Nordic Aryan thing, Smitty, but referring to a proud son of Poland as being one of the "good German people" is not a remark that will win you many friends in certain places.

I know you meant well with your post, Smitty, but believe it or not, not everyone feels that being called a good German person is necessarily a compliment. :rolleyes:

Slo-go'en
06-20-2008, 21:00
Be aware the motels in Gorham get very expensive during the summer and fall tourist season. Weekend rates are even worse. The $38 room signs (I think this has gone up to $45) are a come on and are never available. (well, they might have one room at this price in Decemeber!)

Jack Tarlin
06-20-2008, 21:47
Aw, c'mon! You were the guy that just told us you were all set to leave a hundred dollar bill in the donation box at The Place in Damascus

Surely you have enough leftover to pay for a motel room in Gorham without quibbling about it...... :rolleyes:

I hear some of these places allow smoking, too. :D

Slo-go'en
06-21-2008, 00:10
I decided to donate it here to WB instead, now I can't afford a hotel room!

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 00:10
Good show! :D

double d
06-21-2008, 02:05
Gorham, great town, bad Chinese food! Can't get much better in life then Rt.16 through the heart of N.H. to Pin. Notch on Rt.16.

double d
06-21-2008, 02:06
Slo-go'en, if that had been a Catholic church down in Va., they would have waited for the $100 spot, then asked you to leave!

The Old Fhart
06-21-2008, 08:50
BJ-"...You were the guy that just told us you were all set to leave a hundred dollar bill in the donation box at The Place in Damascus."For some reason this reminds me of the famous quote: "The smallest good deed is better than the grandest good intention.":rolleyes:

Appalachian Tater
06-21-2008, 09:38
Um, note to Smitty:

The proprietor of Hiker's Paradise is Bruno Janicki, who, unless I'm very much mistaken, is of Polish heritage.

I know you're into the Nordic Aryan thing, Smitty, but referring to a proud son of Poland as being one of the "good German people" is not a remark that will win you many friends in certain places.

I know you meant well with your post, Smitty, but believe it or not, not everyone feels that being called a good German person is necessarily a compliment. :rolleyes:
He called them "Germanic" not "German". The Germanic tribes were in that area before the Slavic people were. I don't want to get into the thing with Minnesota Smith's issues but that is important historically.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 09:42
Sure, Tater. Now go call a Pole, any Pole, a "good Germanic person."

Then tell us what happened.......after you get out of the hospital. :D

Appalachian Tater
06-21-2008, 09:47
Sure, Tater. Now go call a Pole, any Pole, a "good Germanic person."

Then tell us what happened.......after you get out of the hospital. :DWell, they would probably tell you what I just did. Like many other people, they're proud of their history.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 09:54
Um, no, they wouldn't tell you this, and they wouldn't be proud, either.

Tater, the Poles are considered West Slavic people, not Germanic.

This was precisely one of the excuses and justifications used by the Germans in regard to their treatment of Poland in 1939 and the years that followed.

No Pole would consider being identified as "Germanic" as a compliment, Tater.

Appalachian Tater
06-21-2008, 10:00
No Pole would consider being identified as "Germanic" as a compliment, Tater.Well of course you're intelligent enough to know that almost all absolute statements like "No Pole...." are false on their face.

You have as much of a problem as Minnesota Smith does, he's the reverse and you're the obverse of the same coin.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 10:03
Um, the only problem Tater, is that you insist on being an expert on everything and have a real problem ever acknowledging an error. :D

I think I'll sit back and wait til someone of Polish descent sees this and hands you your head.

Then, of course, you'll no doubt tell them how ill-informed they are. :D

If nothing else, Tater, at least you're predictable.

Appalachian Tater
06-21-2008, 10:05
Um, the only problem Tater, is that you insist on being an expert on everything and have a real problem ever acknowledging an error. :D

I think I'll sit back and wait til someone of Polish descent sees this and hands you your head.

If nothing else, Tater, at least you're predictable.pot-kettle-black-jack

Appalachian Tater
06-21-2008, 10:07
No, if you would READ what people wrote before responding to it, you wouldn't waste so much time with your silly posts. This is another good example. Before you go off on a rant, re-read slowly and carefully what you're responding to. You might save your fingers a little work.

The Old Fhart
06-21-2008, 10:18
Let the 'dupa' whooping begin! :D

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 10:49
Um, I suspose first generation and maybe second folks feel strongly about their heritage. But the rest of us are simply Americans, no?

rafe
06-21-2008, 11:23
Hey, Tin Man, I've got an idea, what with Summit organizing a Christian Brotherhood Hike, maybe you and Jack and kindred spirits might want to organize a Winger's Hike?

Seriously kids get yer a$$es outside and play. It's freaking gorgeous outside (I just got back from a 15-mile bike ride; thought I'd check in on the fun.)

OregonHiker
06-21-2008, 12:03

If nothing else, Tater, at least you're predictable.

Poor Jack...can't get out of the way of his own ego

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 13:06
Hey, Tin Man, I've got an idea, what with Summit organizing a Christian Brotherhood Hike, maybe you and Jack and kindred spirits might want to organize a Winger's Hike?

Seriously kids get yer a$$es outside and play. It's freaking gorgeous outside (I just got back from a 15-mile bike ride; thought I'd check in on the fun.)

Just in from a short hike around the yard behind a well barrow. Now it is time for a cold Heineken on tap, while I loligag around the pool before Little League kicks in later, but I will be thinking of ya - NOT! :)