PDA

View Full Version : Hitch-hiking to Amicalola falls?

echo
04-19-2007, 21:55
I'm getting ready to take off for a low budget thru hike. I'm planning to go greyhound as far as I can. I'm then gonna hitch to Amicalola falls. Would Dalton be the best stop to start hitching from?

Skidsteer
04-19-2007, 21:57
No. Try Gainesville.

Bilko
04-19-2007, 22:31
How far can you go on Greyhound? Gainesville is closer than Dalton but if you are coming down I-75, Gainesville will be out of your way.
It looks like you will be travelling down Interstate 75. The closer you get to Atlanta the more likely someone can help you with transportation.

Ride Greyhound to Atlanta and then catch MARTA (subway $1.75) north to North Springs or Sandy Springs MARTA station. There are alot of options from the North Springs or Sandy Springs MARTA stops. Since you are on a tight budget, most shuttle services may be out of the question. Hiker Hostel would be a good choice, they do a great job with transportation and housing, but they need to make a living.

If you can get to the North Springs station, I can pick you up. I only live about 2 miles from the North Springs station and I work 13 miles from Amicalola State Park. No Charge. It is about a 50 mile drive.
That's right I drive that everyday. We should be able to work something out. If not I'm sure someone on WB will be able to help you. Bilko

orangebug
04-20-2007, 00:27
If the budget is too low to allow safe transport to a trailhead, why are you doing this?

echo
04-20-2007, 01:25
Thanks for the offer Bilko, and because I'm a crazy artist, not a psychiatrist, orangebug.

neighbor dave
04-20-2007, 05:21
If the budget is too low to allow safe transport to a trailhead, why are you doing this?
:-? a ridiculous question. people hitch to and from the various trailheads on the A.T. from Georgia to Maine routinely. are you suggesting they should call a cab or sumptin???
you musta bought into the fear and terror the current admin. is sellin'.:-?

orangebug
04-20-2007, 07:26
No Neo-Con fear and terror. No one familiar with medicine these days would accuse psychiatrists of rolling in dough.

I've just experienced a few inadequately planned and underfunded hiker wanna-be's. I think most of us have. It is pretty sad to see folks broke before they reach Erwin.

The question is designed to elicit how well this hiker has considered the consequences of a "low budjet thru hike." A plan to hitch from Dalton or Gainesville is quite different from a plan to hitch from Dicks Creek Gap to Blueberry Patch and back.

Appalachian Tater
04-20-2007, 07:37
The question is designed to elicit how well this hiker has considered the consequences of a "low budjet thru hike."

Oh, my, that hit my funnybone! "low budjet thru hike"

Hiking is just walking. You can get food out of the hiker boxes. Wood is free in the forest. Leaves are the best toilet paper. So you really don't need any money to do a thru-hike: cash is for un-needed luxuries.

Appalachian Tater
04-20-2007, 07:39
I'm getting ready to take off for a low budget thru hike. I'm planning to go greyhound as far as I can. I'm then gonna hitch to Amicalola falls. Would Dalton be the best stop to start hitching from?

Why spend good money on Greyhound and then hitch? Hitch the whole way. Once you get to an expressway, you've got it made. That's $75 or more extra bucks you can use to fund your hike.

Marta
04-20-2007, 08:32
Hiking is just walking. You can get food out of the hiker boxes. Wood is free in the forest. Leaves are the best toilet paper. So you really don't need any money to do a thru-hike: cash is for un-needed luxuries.

For every person who actually does that, a hundred or more go home because they don't want to hike without money.

EWS
04-20-2007, 09:48

Wouldn't that be akin to actually being a hobo, versus just smelling like one?

Gray Blazer
04-20-2007, 11:16
I smell a book deal.....Hiking the AT on 10 Cents a Day!

Almost There
04-20-2007, 13:24
No Money=the reason why there aren't many donation only hostels left anymore. I know Ms. J. had to set a standard rate because of people "low on money" stiffing her when they would stay.

This, is just one example of what happens when people go out without enough money.

BTW, I'm not saying that you'll do this, but it is something to think about!

Mother's Finest
04-20-2007, 13:39
Thanks for the offer Bilko, and because I'm a crazy artist, not a psychiatrist, orangebug.

are you sure you are not Matthewski posing in another form??? or maybe you guys are related and do not know it. cause he is a crazy artist also

peace
mf

echo
04-20-2007, 14:38
Thanks for all concern, and some defense. I'm not planning to thru hike broke, simply low budget. I crossed the Yukon broke and hated it (until afterwards). I plan to have all supplies I need. I'd just rather have an extra $75 for luxuries on the trail than spent getting the last miles to the trail, especially considering the distance I'm about to do on foot. I also have enough that I don't have to stiff anyone for what I've accepted from them. This will be my first AT thru hike, but by no means my first low budget adventure. In my world it's low budget (NOT NO MONEY), or stay at home. Some of us need to be creative about how we can get away with not working all season.

1azarus
04-20-2007, 15:21
Echo, good for you -- and best of luck. it sounds like you are in the habit of making your low budget adventures work!!!

echo
04-20-2007, 16:06
A plan to hitch from Dalton or Gainesville is quite different from a plan to hitch from Dicks Creek Gap to Blueberry Patch and back.
According to my calculations the difference is 30.85 mi. Not a huge difference considering...

Lilred
04-20-2007, 18:49
Good luck on your hike. Maybe I'll see ya out there in VA somewhere.

neighbor dave
04-21-2007, 04:24
No Neo-Con fear and terror. No one familiar with medicine these days would accuse psychiatrists of rolling in dough.

I've just experienced a few inadequately planned and underfunded hiker wanna-be's. I think most of us have. It is pretty sad to see folks broke before they reach Erwin.

The question is designed to elicit how well this hiker has considered the consequences of a "low budjet thru hike." A plan to hitch from Dalton or Gainesville is quite different from a plan to hitch from Dicks Creek Gap to Blueberry Patch and back.
:-? a hitch is a hitch. it's just as easy to hitch 5 miles or less as it is to hitch 15 miles. for example,i've had rides fromyoungstown ohio to pheonix arizona, aspen colorado to albany ny. it took me 49 1/2 hours to hitch from S.F. to oklahoma city ok. i hitched from S.F. to tok junction alaska in 3 days,one ride from S.F. to oregon and another from dawson creek to tok junction, thunder bay ontario to keremeos B.C. it's all relative:-?

Fannypack
04-21-2007, 07:26
:-? a hitch is a hitch. it's just as easy to hitch 5 miles or less as it is to hitch 15 miles. for example,i've had rides fromyoungstown ohio to pheonix arizona, aspen colorado to albany ny. it took me 49 1/2 hours to hitch from S.F. to oklahoma city ok. i hitched from S.F. to tok junction alaska in 3 days,one ride from S.F. to oregon and another from dawson creek to tok junction, thunder bay ontario to keremeos B.C. it's all relative:-?
dave, u da man!!!!

see ya on the trail.....