PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike New Hampshire

big_muddy
04-20-2007, 08:57
I'm trying to get some beta for a upcoming section hike of New Hampshire. The most important question is what is a good time frame for hiking this section in late July. Obviously, many factors go into how long it takes to hike a section. But, given your experience of this section how long would you expect it to take to hike from Hanover to Pinkham Notch?

Are 15 mile days reasonable in the Whites?

Any other helpful information is appreciated.

Big Muddy

Peaks
04-20-2007, 09:01
Short answer: I'd allow 2 weeks. 15 mile days may be possible up to the White Mountains. Beyond Glencliff, 10 miles can be a full day.

rafe
04-20-2007, 21:49
I would not plan 15 mile days north of Glencliff. More like 10-12, tops.

Kerosene
04-21-2007, 17:39
It's pretty easy to do 15-milers between Hanover and Glencliff. After that your pace is likely to drop by a full mile per hour (no kidding!). There are several days when you might be able to crank out 15 since you'll have a lot of daylight, but it will depend on the weather. If the weather is really nice, then you will want to dawdle along the ridgelines and take in the scenery. If the weather is messy, then the poor footing will slow you down even more.

moxie
04-21-2007, 20:53
DO NOT RUSH THE WHITES. 15 mile days will not allow you to enjoy the beauty of the whites. Nothing rivals above timberline hiking and also if you are not in excellent condition long miles will eat you alive in those mountains. Take it easy and enjoy your adventure.