PDA

View Full Version : HH suspension modification?

Rainman
04-20-2007, 12:48
Has anybody married the ENO slap strap and beener system to an HH? I have a Backpacker A-Sym but only carried it once. I never could get the tree hugger strap and lashing system secure enough to keep my butt off the ground. To be honest, I gave up after a couple of tries.

All thoughts appreciated.

peanuts
04-20-2007, 14:17
rainman, go and check over hammock forum. you will find a lot of info on this.

SteveJ
04-20-2007, 18:00
Has anybody married the ENO slap strap and beener system to an HH? I have a Backpacker A-Sym but only carried it once. I never could get the tree hugger strap and lashing system secure enough to keep my butt off the ground. To be honest, I gave up after a couple of tries.

All thoughts appreciated.

Before my HH came in, I watched the videos at Shane's site:

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hknot.htm

Tied the knot the first time, and everytime since I got the hammock....why re-invent the wheel? The HH knot is simple, holds great when tied correctly, is easy to tie once you learn it, and is easy to learn....works great for me.....YMMV!

blackbishop351
04-21-2007, 01:10
The HH lashing is pretty simple and does work - but that's where the niceness ends IMO. Adjustment is a pain - you have to tie/untie both ends several times every hang, unless you're just a whiz at getting the right height and angle every time.

I use a buckle/strap setup on my homemade hammocks. I've also converted a couple of friends' HH's to this system. Infinitely adjustable, much quicker and easier, and less to worry about in bad weather.

Ramble~On
04-21-2007, 03:06
Rainman....Yes.

I ditched the straps to the HH and use ENO SlapStrap Pro. I tied a loop in the HH stock rope and cut the rest off...the loop is about a foot of rope...the rest was dead weight and i don't miss it.
I use the Slap Straps on all of my hammocks and no regrets...they work great, no knots, biners work same as drip string. Set up in about....10 seconds. It takes longer to put up a tarp then the hammock
One thing that would from time to time piss me off was that the Slap Straps only have attachment points at certain intervals and I could adjust this by wrapping the tree an extra time or so and that would move an attachment point to the desired lenght.
I got the idea to make my own out of some webbing I had kicking around and I didn't sew on attachment points but tie a simple slip knot into the webbing and attach the biner to it...Viola ! the perfect lenght everytime and the biner keeps the knot from pulling through...now set up time is down to 5 seconds per side. When I take it down and remove the biner the knot pulls through itself and is gone. One end of each strap is similar to Slap Straps and attaches to the tree the same...
Guess I ought to take some pictures of these and post them.

lvleph
04-21-2007, 08:16
Ring Buckles (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html) are where it is at!

FanaticFringer
04-21-2007, 18:58
As stated above, Ring Buckle support system is where it's at:
www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565&highlight=ring
Was the most popular thread on the forum last I checked. And for good reason. Makes hanging your hammock "Really" "Really" sweet!!!!!!!
Hennessy tree huggers are a royal pain in my ...
Bottom line is basically three things: Much quicker set-up. Distance between trees can be as long as you want if you have really long webbing. You can hang from massive trees in the Redwood forrest of California if you so choose.

Rainman
04-22-2007, 15:26
Thanks everyone. You have convinced me to give my hammock anther try. There are definite advantages when you have to LNT stealth camp on a solo hike.

Spiritwind, I would love to see photos of the setup you described. I can't sew at all but my wife can do just about anything with instructions.

Thanks again!

WILLIAM HAYES
04-22-2007, 18:45
I have used this arrangement and it works well for me. You may want to tie off the beeners to the hammock lines and leave them on . This is what I do.I have them tied off on the hammock line at about 18 inches at each end and simply clip into one of the eylets on the staps after I have tried the staps off on the tree. This way you don't have adjust the hammock lines which can be a pain. Give this a try and see how it works for you
Hillbilly

Ramble~On
04-23-2007, 05:24
I'll see if I can't get some pictures this morning..
It's as simple a set up as you can get...one piece of webbing and a biner.
place a slip knot at the desired height and insert the biner into the loop of the knot. I sewed loops into the ends of mine which allows them to attach around the tree the same as Slap Straps as this is a simple, quick method.

Repeat
04-26-2007, 17:20
I have the supplies ordered for converting my HH Explorer Ultralite Asym from ropes to the straps. I have 2 twelve foot sections of 1 inch straps (14kn) with loops sewed into one end (double box + cross stitch). I will test with the desending rings and carabiners(spelling?). I am 6ft2in 235lbs. I will also test after soaking the straps.
Repeat

FanaticFringer
04-26-2007, 20:58
I have the supplies ordered for converting my HH Explorer Ultralite Asym from ropes to the straps. I have 2 twelve foot sections of 1 inch straps (14kn) with loops sewed into one end (double box + cross stitch). I will test with the desending rings and carabiners(spelling?). I am 6ft2in 235lbs. I will also test after soaking the straps.
Repeat

I think you will be happy with that set-up.

Repeat
05-06-2007, 16:23
I have completed the modification to my HH Explorer Ultralite Asym. I ordered two 15 foot 1 inch nylon straps, each with a loop sewn in one end, from Ed Speer (I cannot say enough good things about Ed Speer or his customer service).
Total of order was $17.41. http://speerhammocks.com I ordered the desending rings from Summit Hut (http://www.summithut.com/catalog/remap/product.asp/pfid/14116).
The first picture is of my setup. The second picture shows the strap with loop attached to a tree. The third picture shows how I turned my snake skin inside-out to cover the strap for wet conditions. The fourth picture demonstrates how to loosen the desending rings--move straps in opposite directions--clockwise verses counter-clockwise.
The 15foot straps replace both the rope from my HH and the tree hugers.
This modification really reduces set-up time, makes positionins the hammock much quicker and allows for very easy re-tensioning. By the way, this is a Western North Carolina back yard---my house is below me, haha.

SteveJ
05-06-2007, 20:45
I have completed the modification to my HH Explorer Ultralite Asym. <clip>.

thanks, repeat...you guys are about to talk me into a modification here....could you check and let us know the difference in weight between the hammock before the modification and the hammock after the modification?

I took the Boy Scout troop up to the Nantahala River this weekend. I spent about 10 minutes putting up the hammock, laying in it, then retightening it, and tying and re-tying my stock tarp Friday night to be sure that I had the hammock ready for the rain moving in. Hung between 2 trees within 3 feet of the water. Happy to report that I didn't get a drop of water in the hammock the entire weekend, and was lulled to sleep both nights by the sound of the river.....this after a 2 hour nap Saturday afternoon before the rain moved out!

Repeat
05-06-2007, 21:05
Good evening Steve,
The straps I added are 15ft long, which adds about 3.5 ft over the stock ropes and tree huggers. I believe the total additional weight is about 3 oz.

FanaticFringer
05-06-2007, 21:59
thanks, repeat...you guys are about to talk me into a modification here....could you check and let us know the difference in weight between the hammock before the modification and the hammock after the modification?

I took the Boy Scout troop up to the Nantahala River this weekend. I spent about 10 minutes putting up the hammock, laying in it, then retightening it, and tying and re-tying my stock tarp Friday night to be sure that I had the hammock ready for the rain moving in. Hung between 2 trees within 3 feet of the water. Happy to report that I didn't get a drop of water in the hammock the entire weekend, and was lulled to sleep both nights by the sound of the river.....this after a 2 hour nap Saturday afternoon before the rain moved out!

Your HH BUL will sure be sweet when you do decide to modify it.:D
Now get yourself either a MacCat Deluxe, a Sportsmans Guide 9x9, a JRB 8x8, or best option make or have someone make you a Black Cat tarp:
www.jhatkhat.com/Khat/camping/bcdir