PDA

View Full Version : Am I totally nuts?

blank
04-20-2007, 17:15
First post here.

I have an opportunity to thru hike this year but I will be on a short time table. I plan to start NOBO on May 20. I know I probablly should go SOBO but I don't want to, just my preference. I'm wondering what the terrain is like the first 150 - 200 miles of the trail and if 15 miles per day is an unreasonable expectation. I don't think it should be, I'm 22 and and decent shape. I do 98% of my hiking in the Whites and average 10-12 mi off the couch . Will the southern terrain allow for an extra 3 mi?

Mags
04-20-2007, 17:20
First post here.

I have an opportunity to thru hike this year but I will be on a short time table. I plan to start NOBO on May 20. I know I probablly should go SOBO but I don't want to, just my preference. I'm wondering what the terrain is like the first 150 - 200 miles of the trail and if 15 miles per day is an unreasonable expectation. I don't think it should be, I'm 22 and and decent shape. I do 98% of my hiking in the Whites and average 10-12 mi off the couch . Will the southern terrain allow for an extra 3 mi?

Keep your pack light, try to get some hikes (or runs) in before hand to get in shape and you'll be fine.

15 MPD is very do-able. I did that on my AT thru-hike with that average and with a heavier pack. As with you, I did 10-12 miles per day in Whites.

Good luck..and above all else? ENJOY IT!

Egads
04-20-2007, 17:23
15 MPD is quite possible if you are in good shape and your feet are conditioned to hiking. Expect multiple climbs & decents thru GA & NC. Water should still be available, though, GA 2007 rainfall total s ~12 inches below average.

Good luck

Smile
04-20-2007, 17:25
I'm getting tired just watching your avatar Egads!
:)

blank
04-20-2007, 17:28
I'm looking at a total pack weight of about 25-30 lbs, including food and water. I started doing some running a few days ago and plan to get out hiking 2-3 times a week after ski season is over.

Photofanatic
04-20-2007, 17:47
I would describe Georgia as walking to a mountain, climbing all the way to the top and then all the way to the bottom then walking over to another mountain and doing the same. Someone thought they would be creative and add miles to the mountains by putting in way more switchbacks than was really necessary but really every mountain does have a top. I think Trey Mtn was the most irritating to me as for the switch backs.

Mags
04-20-2007, 18:02
I'm looking at a total pack weight of about 25-30 lbs, including food and water. I started doing some running a few days ago and plan to get out hiking 2-3 times a week after ski season is over.

You'll be fine. Listen to your body and have fun. Running is good for general cardio, but hiking is what gets you in shape..for well, hiking. :)

Lone Wolf
04-20-2007, 21:18
First post here.

just do it and see what happens. you'll do fine. have fun.

Whistler
04-21-2007, 03:45
I agree. You probably won't have any problems. 15 is perfectly reasonable. In 2005 I left Springer on May 21. Great weather, low crowds.

-Mark