PDA

View Full Version : newbee hanger question

Kerby
04-20-2007, 21:03
Hi guys (an galls)!

Sence joining WB I was immediatly intreged by the hammok forum. I had no idea the things existed! At least not the camping variety... After 20 years sleeping on the ground it didn't take mutch to convince me, if you know what I meen.

So, after lurking for a bit, and investigating the resorses linked hear, I evaluated each of the manufacturers for function, features, price, and settled on the Hennasy "expadition" hammoc. It had the one feature I liked above all others-It was in stock at REI.

I also picked up the DVD Appalacian Impressions, a documentery of the trail and the thru-hikers who tackle it every year. (If you havent seen it, I recomend it). Any way, on the vid, it showed several arieas of the trail that are lacking trees-which leads to my question.

What do you throu-hangers do when there is nothing there to hang from?

RockStar
04-20-2007, 21:55
I am new to hanging but, I have heard you

A. Stop and camp where there are trees and then tackle the treeless region the next day. Or hike until the treeless region is done and then hang.

B. Use the hammock as a bivy. try the www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net) great resource for all hammocking questions.

Just Jeff
04-22-2007, 14:07
When you carry a hammock you also have a tarp...just tarp it. A bit tougher when you use an underquilt instead of a pad.

But seriously - if you're hiking somewhere that has huge stretches of treeless areas, a hammock isn't the right tool. Take a tent or tarp (or tarptent). But how often do you really hike in places where you're going for more than an hour or three without trees? I'm sure some folks do...but probably not on the east coast...and I doubt those folks take hammocks for those trips.

Just gotta bring the right tool for the job.

FanaticFringer
04-22-2007, 15:37
Would strongly suggest upgrading to a bigger tarp. The Hennessy tarp leaves little room for error in bad weather. Once you have used a bigger tarp and put back on the Hennessy tarp, it really feels inadequate.
Check this out for great tarp info:
www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html

Kerby
04-30-2007, 15:21
How about up in the wights where your above the treeline for days on end?

Deerleg
05-04-2007, 23:08
How about up in the wights where your above the treeline for days on end?

Actualy, I don't belive you are...you will be on many treeless ridges, but will frequently drop below tree line and should be OK on finding sights more sheltered from the wind...