PDA

View Full Version : oprah may thruhike !

mweinstone
04-21-2007, 10:21
would a thruhike by a super icon like willy nelson or even michel jackson have a negitive effect on that years hiking class's exsperience? would it be unfair or unsafe for a famouse person who say, needs security with them normaly, to hike? if so , is the trail in essence closed to such men and women of the hugely sucsesful? and if not, can it be done and enjoyed? how?

EWS
04-21-2007, 10:38
I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them. I think that with such easy access to the trail every local news agency would be hounding them and us plebeians as well.

Just think trailside American Eagle and an O' bookshop yeah!:rolleyes:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-21-2007, 11:36
While it would focus a lot of media attention on the trail, it would likely ruin both the experience of the celeb doing the hike and the experience of any hiker who was anywhere near them. I don't want to round a corner on the trail and come face to face with a news crew wanting to know if I shared a shelter with Oprah last night.

Appalachian Tater
04-21-2007, 12:40
If a celebrity wanted to thru-hike, they would likely prefer to do it anonymously. Any thru-hiker wearing sunglasses even at night, and accompanied by bodyguards, should be suspected of being a celebrity.

bfitz
04-21-2007, 12:58
I've heard rumours that some celebs have hiked incognito. Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society) has the song...

I paved this road
I broke myself in two
This I know
Up and down, In between
There's nothing I haven't seen

All these stars which bear my name, yeah
My eyes are wide, ain't nothing's the same, yeah
I tried to run, but the damage is done, yeah
The damage is done
The damage is done

Where I've gone and where I've been
One only knows
One more mountain, one more mile
Two thousand told

(official lyrics say "Do as I'm told"...but I swear sometimes he says "two thousand told"...like he's giving a clue...of course, I always thought Jerry had a hard on running from Bertha's window...and Eric Clapton told you about our our kid, no he's not a tomato...)

Brrrb Oregon
04-21-2007, 16:40
If a celebrity wanted to thru-hike, they would likely prefer to do it anonymously. Any thru-hiker wearing sunglasses even at night, and accompanied by bodyguards, should be suspected of being a celebrity.

His personal secretary reported that the late Pope John Paul II made over 100 trips to the Italian Alps for hiking and skiing while he was Pope, and was rarely recognized. He went with a group of other people in a borrowed car, and no one was the wiser.

I remember another story about a supermodel going into a department store without any makeup and being told by a clerk that "you know, with a little make-up, you could be really cute."

Where there is a will, there is a way....and the person we think we know from TV and tabloids might well be unrecognizable in person. ("Well, actually, you would not believe how often people tell me I look just like Oprah Winfrey. It is amazing. If her banker tells me that, I'll be in business, let me tell you.") I think that if Oprah could go that long without referring to another woman as "girl", she might just pull it off.

As for the sunglasses day and night, I'd be more likely to suspect a drug habit than celebrity. :rolleyes:

Smile
04-21-2007, 16:44
wrong thread again.

mweinstone
04-21-2007, 18:00
i think if oprah hiked, other hikers would form a zone around her of about 3 days hike that no one would enter. ocaisonaly her party and the resulting mess it would bring would be crossd at towns or inconvenience the other hikers somehow but not too too much. it might even be fun to take a zero and watch the circus once in a while. oh,... and the yogying possibilitys are endless what with helos carting shrimp scampi to the guards. think of the cool feeling mom and dad back home would have seeing their son or daughter interviewed from clingmans dome on the 6 oclock news . or the oppertunity for the trail to get more volenteers due to the fact that she would have a rap up show after katadhin in witch her entire hiking class would be on tv. admit it, she would be a thruhiker and would be welcome in the class. and would make lifetime friends as we all do. it might be a good.im taking suggestions for equiptment she would need. i think we can all agree , oprah needs to pack a wig and makeup to hide her identity at least some of the time. and she will need a lookalike to send ahead and clear a path. other than that , im thinking full kit of light gear. say,... 22 lbs. later she can carry more food and weight. after say, damascus. where she'll have a chat and a beer with lonewolf and then push on. this can be done easyer than you might think. and the charity she could raise would be sweet. im waiting for a call from the show now.

Pirate
04-21-2007, 19:58
Oprah would have a rough time thru hiking because she is going to be the next president of the USA. There will be too many secret service agents running around trying to keep her safe. It will be rough trying to land USA 1 on or near the trail.

weary
04-21-2007, 20:40
Oprah would have a rough time thru hiking because she is going to be the next president of the USA. There will be too many secret service agents running around trying to keep her safe. It will be rough trying to land USA 1 on or near the trail.
Let's hope she hikes during her first term, allowing a vice president to govern. Most any VP strikes me as likely to do a better job than Oprah.

Weary

moxie
04-21-2007, 20:45
Famous people have been on the trail before. I remember seeing an old Life Magazine picture of Maryln Monroe trying to get her boobs through The Lemon Squeezer on the AT in New York.

moxie
04-21-2007, 20:47
Hillary is going to put her hair in corn rows and steal the black vote from Oprah.

Programbo
04-21-2007, 21:00
Hillary is going to put her hair in corn rows and steal the black vote from Oprah.

Aww..I feel sorry for the little guy in the box who just has to run in circles

I think an Oprah is to self-important to take 5-6 months out of her life to do ANYTHING..She`d be more of a 1-2 day event person....Someone like her trying to do a thru would cause such an influx of people on the trail it would become unhikeable

weary
04-21-2007, 21:04
Let's hope she hikes during her first term, allowing a vice president to govern. Most any VP strikes me as likely to do a better job than Oprah.

Weary

Gray Blazer
04-21-2007, 21:05
Maybe Neo can get Hillary to hike the AT. That would get her the cool people vote.:cool:

Skidsteer
04-21-2007, 21:12

Weary

Weary

Let the record show that I agree with Weary. Twice.

Even in the unlikely event she chooses Dick Cheney. With any luck at all He'll invite her to go bird hunting.

mweinstone
04-21-2007, 22:47
i want to volenteer to carry the football. if nuclear war breaks out, ill hide it on blood mountain with the cherokees gold. witch by the way im not done looking for. im waiting for oprah to run cause i never voted but would for her in a heartbeat.

mweinstone
04-21-2007, 22:52
to the producers and directers of the oprah whymphry show,... i matthew claude weinstone do hearby solomly swear to show oprah a safe and fun time at trail days should she deside to attend while scoping out the trail community to see if you want to hike with us. i will be your guide. im old school hikertrash and will show you the intimate secrets of our appalachian trail such as the art of makeing trail biscuts and gravies. and ill introduce you to jester, our resident director of litterature and script writting.

digger51
04-22-2007, 02:04
I remember the hassle we had a couple of years ago when Lance Armstrong was riding in the mtns training. Getting a room in Hiawassee was very difficult. I couldn't imagine the problem a celebrity would cause all the way up the trail in towns and hostels.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-22-2007, 05:02
Someone heeds to warn Dot's that Oprah is coming - I haven't seen anything on Dot's menu that is low-cal, preservative and trans-fat free and in general Oprah Wimp-phry approved. I can't wait to see Oprah's reaction to some of the ramen noodle concoctions I've seen on the trail :D

aaroniguana
04-22-2007, 08:24
Will she be bringing Dr Phil and her entire book club along?

I see zero chance of LNT if this happens...

Gray Blazer
04-22-2007, 10:04
[quote=Frolicking Dinosaurs;3554 low-cal, preservative and trans-fat free and in general Oprah Wimp-phry approved. I can't wait to see Oprah's reaction to some of the ramen noodle concoctions I've seen on the trail :D[/quote]

Wait'll she sees the sodium content in ramens. That ought to raise her blood pressure.:D

digger51
04-22-2007, 10:08
I wonder how she would feel about my mac and cheese with slim jims sliced up for seasoning.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-22-2007, 10:20
Well, at least she will approve of our use of olive oil and how often we eat fish.

Askus3
04-22-2007, 11:45
There is a US supreme court justice who hiked the Whites in NH. Someone else reading this thread can furnish his name. As far as I know thatt is about the only name figurehead who seriously can hike. There also was a governor or senator from NH who completed his 4,000 footers.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-22-2007, 18:28
Didn't Al Gore climb some mountain with his son?

Gray Blazer
04-22-2007, 18:36
Martin Luther King, Jr had been to the mountaintop. Julie Andrews told us to climb every mountain.

rickb
04-22-2007, 18:43
Didn't Al Gore climb some mountain with his son?

This one:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4196/is_19990813/ai_n10528515

aaroniguana
04-22-2007, 18:48
Associate Justice William O. Douglas hiked the entire trail, but hisbio doesn't specifically say if he thru hiked or sectioned itover the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_O._Douglas

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-22-2007, 18:49
I think we should invite Martha Stewart to hike. The privies need some nice touches and I'm sure she could make the shelter mice look festive.

rickb
04-22-2007, 18:51
Martha Stewart climbed Kilimanjaro.

Brrrb Oregon
04-22-2007, 19:02
I think we should invite Martha Stewart to hike. The privies need some nice touches and I'm sure she could make the shelter mice look festive.

Martha doesn't mess around. She'd kill the little vermin without batting an eye.

I tell you what, when she started unpacking at dinner time, I wouldn't be too proud to hover around. (I'll peel garlic, I'll frill the scallions, just give me a bite....:D )

Gray Blazer
04-22-2007, 21:44
As far as celebrity look-a-likes go, I camped with Phil Jackson in the Smokies at Tri-corner Knob in June 2005. Anybody else ever hike with a celebrity look-a-like?

Moon Monster
04-22-2007, 23:05
Associate Justice William O. Douglas hiked the entire trail, but hisbio doesn't specifically say if he thru hiked or sectioned itover the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_O._Douglas

I've read someplace (Larry Luxemburg's book maybe??) that Justice Douglas was a section hiker and the eighth person to become a 2,000-miler.

mweinstone
04-22-2007, 23:21
wonder if she will use mail drops. i think she should southbound. if i was oprah, and i wish i was,..not in a tranny way, not that theres anything wrong with that,.but if i was her, i would just do as much stelth camping and never stay in town and i would only take one dinosaur, i mean bodyguard with me. and i also would not feed other hikers or give anything away. i would try to be a solom thaughtfull hiker so as to loose the hollywood frame of mind and return to my oprah roots. that way, when i came back to the world, i would be cooler and more relaxed and less makeup covered.

aaroniguana
04-22-2007, 23:27
but if i was her, i would just do as much stelth camping and never stay in town and i would only take one dinosaur, i mean bodyguard with me. and i also would not feed other hikers or give anything away.

What, you think that because she gave away a bunch of cars she's going to set up a kitchen to feed whomever is at each shelter? People here in Baltimore remember her. This is where she got her start. She's only a generous, deep thinker if you stand her up next to Paris Hilton.

Of course if that was sarcasm I feel bad.

Not really.

Brrrb Oregon
04-23-2007, 00:38
Will she be bringing Dr Phil and her entire book club along?

I see zero chance of LNT if this happens...

Why? Did they all read "A Walk in the Woods?" :D

strnorm
04-23-2007, 01:13
:-? I keep hearing robert redford and paul newman are going to make a movie on the trail????

strnorm
04-23-2007, 01:18
I WOULD LIKE TO MEET PARIS HILTON AND BRITNEY SPEARS AT A SHELTER:p

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-23-2007, 08:53
I WOULD LIKE TO MEET PARIS HILTON AND BRITNEY SPEARS AT A SHELTER:pOh man, you copuldn't airlift in enough cheese to serve with the whine.

tomtom
04-23-2007, 11:04
I suspect if Oprah were to hike the trail, she would do it in a way that we would know about only once she was finished filming.
She could be on&off the trail in 2-3days and have more than enough footage to make her 'thru-hike' seem rustic, romantic, and credible to HER audience.
Don't forget, she could care less what we think. Her audience has 2.3 kids, a minivan and a valium perscription to worry about day-to-day. A thru hike is a luxury many can't even fathom thinking about.
Plus, there are no fast-food joints or starbucks on the trail, so I suspect most of the ladies who watch Oprah won't make it further than a stroll thru the park.

Een still, wouldn't that be a good thing.

jesse
04-23-2007, 12:33
would a thruhike by a super icon like willy nelson
Don't know how easy is it to re-supply pot?

or even michel jackson
no way!! too many over-aged men

OrionTheRanger
04-23-2007, 18:56
I would not like it. not only would it attract alot of bad media attention then you also get the fan boys and star struck girls comeing to meet them. Plus the celeb is sure to bring the crime rate on the trail up...

coldspring
04-23-2007, 20:07
Has anyone ever seen what Oprah looks like without her makeup?

I saw it on one of her show a few years ago.

Gray Blazer
04-23-2007, 20:10
Has anyone ever seen what Oprah looks like without her makeup?

I saw it on one of her show a few years ago.

Buckwheat?:rolleyes:

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 20:27
my grandfather invented the prosses of re refining crank case oil. he pattented putting oil in cans. you used to get it from a pump. he started workmens comp in this country and bought insurance for his poor black oil feild workers. i never met him but was allways told by old people at my parents partys how much he was loved. he was a philanthropist and died only after giving away all he had. my mother did the same thing. and i will follow. so,... being a hopefull giver and comming from a long line of cheerful givers, combined with the fact that im the first god fearing member of my clan,....... i feel the need to offer an opinion on oprah few may know and many may like.shes a hero. a saint to be possibly. she suffers from the horrible raveges of fame. my schoolchum and once friend, kevin bacon, my long time good friend, randal tex cobb the star of all mad max movies and the only man to go 15 rounds with larry holmes and world kick box champ, along with other fameites i met on my walk thru life, all suffer what oprah does. smothering. shes simply not surrounded by folks of a high enough calibre to let her breath and flurish. too many want only her bucks. in our community of whiteblaze.net and the hiking community at large, we have a wonderful mix of slighty more real folks and slightly less cutthroat for bucks than the average. this is evedent in each one of us by our love of the simple tourture of hiking and the hard won rewards they bring. we got heros. and if she joined us, the result might be that we could send her back with a mind to make hollywood be more gentle with our heros. cause it makes em all nuts. and they need us.

savior complex rant ends.

Jester2000
04-23-2007, 20:33
Famous people have been on the trail before. I remember seeing an old Life Magazine picture of Maryln Monroe trying to get her boobs through The Lemon Squeezer on the AT in New York.

That's a riot.

Jester2000
04-23-2007, 20:33
Richard Simmons has done the Seven Summits.

Gray Blazer
04-23-2007, 20:35
Richard Simmons has done the Seven Summits.
I'll bet he's done more than that.:D

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 20:40
as a conceptual performance artist i offer my services to oprah. and to prove my intent i will here on this post divulge plans for one of my pecies ive saved for such a purpose. and before i do this, oprah,..if you accept,.... you will be promising never to offer to pay for spelling lessons for me. okay.
STRING ACROSS AMERICA and the subsiquent peice to be called string around the world. a machine is developed that layes out a biodegradable string that is run across america on a truck. the string lasts for two weeks. at a pre aranged time,... people assemble and touch the string. and the second peice is acompleshed with boats and trucks and planes.the messege is clear and simple and loud.humans are sentient life . as such,..war is wrong. killing is wrong. and it all ends when we hold hands in this way and pray for peace. cause that would be what i would tell folks the string was for. the end. ive set up a special oprah hotline. she may call at her discrecion.good way to get out of my tax problem and hike anywho.

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 20:42
i thaught he did the humps?

hopefulhiker
04-23-2007, 20:46
The president of Whole Foods is a Thru Hiker, I think....

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 20:47
will someone please open a new whiteblaze account named oprah and post back to me ? ill know it isnt her but i wanna see what it would be like. yeah, im sick like that.

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 20:47
id be like, prove your oprah.lol

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 20:49
being the president of a supermarket only makes one a schlubb. to be a real mench one must own at leat a chain of quickymarts.

Jester2000
04-23-2007, 20:55
Many who meet me on the trail mistake me for a celebrity. I like to think it's because of my elan and dashing good looks.

Seriously, women swoon.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-23-2007, 21:03
Jester, you really should bathe more often :D

Jester2000
04-23-2007, 21:25
Jester, you really should bathe more often :D

Hmm. So that's what the swooning is about? Darn. . .

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 22:24
shes good aint she? quicker than your average dinosaur.

EWS
04-23-2007, 22:32
matthewski you kill me sometimes

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 22:36
theres 91 members on that bike site.kinda makes whiteblaze.net look big.

EWS
04-23-2007, 22:48
Yeap, it's small. 80% of us know each other by face and name.

Gray Blazer
04-24-2007, 12:43
i thaught he did the humps?Good one!!

mweinstone
04-24-2007, 16:34
said shes out of touch and likes my suggestion. will send me something. whatever that means. it was a private number so i dont really know it was her . sounded good. but too young maby.well see.