PDA

View Full Version : To early for ticks?

Programbo
04-22-2007, 16:59
How do ticks operate?..I was down in VA today in the woods and it was 80 degrees and I recall that last summer when it was this warm I`d come out of the woods and find ticks on me...Do ticks just wait til its warm and come out or do they have to go thru some sort of growth cycle which will make them not be out til later in the spring/summer? :confused:

Nest
04-22-2007, 17:41
I was out camping about a month ago and got ticks all over me. Then after a quick cold spell we had I didn't have any on another overnight. I think they came out early this year because of the mild winter and early heat, then got screwed up with the sudden cold spell that came through a couple of weeks ago.

Ewker
04-22-2007, 18:36
I was camping in the Big South Fork area over New Years this yr..ticks were out then :(

Nest
04-22-2007, 18:41
Maybe since they were out so early this year, the recent cold spell killed most of them off. That could mean less ticks all year.

ms doolittle
04-22-2007, 18:56
Ticks were a nuisance at Mammoth Cave NP in KY this past weekend. Nasty, evil little buggers. A guy brought his dog and picked 24 ticks off the poor thing last night and this morning. We were brushing them off of each other all weekend.

Give me any other type of creature, but ticks I don't do well with.

Skidsteer
04-22-2007, 19:33
I've seen active ticks every month of the year in GA if the weather is warm enough long enough.

Nightwalker
04-22-2007, 20:33
I pulled off one crawly and one attached last week on the Chatooga River at Burrell's Ford, on the Foothills Trail.

BTW: Skidsteer knows, if anyone does. He does more two- and three-days than even me, and I can't seem to stay in the house for very many days at a time. :D

tomtom
04-23-2007, 11:07
Picked a few off me after a hike in SNP two weeks ago. And it was still coldish then...

Rhino-lfl
04-23-2007, 11:20
I don't remember where I got this, I just have it as a txt file.

The life cycle of all ticks include four stages (egg - larvae - nymph - adult). In the majority of species, the ticks drop off the host animal between stages (exceptions are one-host ticks that remain on the same animal). The larvae (seed ticks)(above, left) hatch from the eggs and attach to vegetation in order to be in easy reach of passing animals. Attraction to the host is due to heat and carbon dioxide concentrations. Once on the new host, they attach and feed on blood. Nymphs and adults employ the same methods of host seeking. Mating of adults (above, right) takes place on the host while attached and feeding. Egg laying by the female occurs after detachment.

Common hard ticks include:

Ixodes scapularis (dammini)- Black-legged tick (3 host). Once thought to be separate species, I scapularis and I dammini are now considered to be the same species. This tick is the most common vector for Lyme disease in North America. The adults are cool weather ticks, appearing in the fall and usually remaining on the host throughout the winter. Larvae and nymphs are abundant in the summer and feed on small mammals and lizards as well as humans. Typically, the life cycle for this tick requires 2 years to complete. Members of this genus are also involved in the transmission of tularemia, human and rodent babesiaosis, human ehrlichiosis (HGE). and paralysis. Adults can be identified by the presence of large mouthparts (longer than the basis capituli) and an anal grove in the ventral side that forms an arch over the anus.

Ixodes pacificus- Western Black-legged tick (3 host). This is the common vector for Lyme disease in western states, especially California, Oregon, Washington, Utah and Nevada. Adults are abundant on the host in late winter to summer with nymphs and larvae appearing in spring and summer.

Dermacentor andersoni- Rocky Mountain wood tick (3 host). Adults of this species are common on most large animals. Larval and nymphal stages feed on a wide variety of hosts. Adult ticks appear in March, peak in May, declining by July. Larvae and nymphs appear later than adults, disappearing by late summer. The is the tick most commonly involved in RMSF, anaplasmosis, and paralysis cases in western states.

Dermacentor spp (left) and Rhipicephalus spp(right) are similar in appearance. Members of the genus Dermacentor can be recognized by the short mouthparts and non-flarred basis capituli.

Dermacentor variabilis-American dog tick (3 host). Adults are common on a variety of hosts but dogs appear to be the preferred host. This species is widely distributed over the eastern two-thirds of the United States. Adult tick activity begins in mid-April and peaks in June, declining until September. In southern states, all stages may be found on the host throughout the year. A common vector for RMSF, anaplasmosis, feline cytauxzoonosis, and tick paralysis in eastern and southern states.

Dermacentor albipictus-A cool-weather or winter 1 host tick. This species is common on large animals including domestic and wildlife species. Although common in most areas that experience freezing winter weather (including Oklahoma), it is also responsible for "ghost moose" in northern areas due to heavy infestations and the resulting loss of hair. This tick is known to be responsible for tick paralysis cases as well as the transmission of "winter" anaplasmosis in domestic cattle.

Rhipicephalus sanguineus- Brown dog tick (3 host). This is an extremely common tick with a preference for feeding on dogs. It is perhaps the most widely distributed tick species in the world. In spite of its abundance, it is an uncommon parasite on man. Adult activity is usually from spring until autumn. Adults have a tendency to crawl upward and can often be found in roofs and in cracks of kennels or dwellings. This common tick is frequently involved in infestations of houses and is also a common vector for canine babesiosis, canine haemobartonellosis, canine ehrlichiosis (E. canis), and paralysis.

Amblyomma americanum-Lone-Star tick (3 host). This is an extremely common tick in south-eastern United States. It is primarily a problem as a pest but is also involved in the transmission of canine ehrlichiosis (E. ewingii), human ehrlichiosis (E. chaffeensis) tularemia, Q fever, and cervid theileriosis. It is not a vector for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Tick activity begins in March or April and continues throughout the warm months. Larvae and nymphs are most active in mid-summer. Adult females are easily recognized by the white spot on the dorsal scutum. Mouth parts for this genus are large and they lack an anal groove.

Amblyomma maculatum-Gulf Coast tick (3 host). Once thought to be restricted to areas along the Gulf Coast, this tick is now common in Oklahoma. Because of its large mouth-parts and preference for ataching to the ears of it's host, it is responsible for considerable damage and annoyance. It has become one of the most economically important tick species of horses and cattlle in Oklahoma. Damage and deformity to the ears of the host ("gotch ear") is a direct result of adult tick feeding. Adults appear in late spring and are active throughout the summer. The role of this tick as a vector for diseases is poorly understood.

Boophilus annulatus-Cattle fever tick (1 host). This is a 1-host tick that is capable of transmitting a variety of diseases. It is the principal vector for bovine babesiosis. It is considered to be eradicated from the U.S. As such, it is a reportable parasite in the U.S. allthough its reintroduction across out southern border is always a threat. Adults can be identified by the laterally produced basis capituli (similar to Rhipicephalus spp), no festoons and ridged palps.

Common soft ticks include:

Otobius megnini- Spinose ear tick ( 1 host, adult free-living). Common in most warm areas of the world. Larval and nymphal stages invade the ears of the host. Adults drop off the animal and are non-parasitic. Hosts are numerous including horses, cattle, rabbits and even man. Individual ticks may remain in the ears of its host for up to 1 year causing considerable damage and annoyance.

Argus persicus - fowl tick (3 host). A widely distributed tick throughout most of the world. The nymphs and adults are active at night while hiding in trees, under houses, etc., during the day. Ticks may travel long distances to find their hosts. Large numbers may parasitise fowl at night, removing large amounts of blood. During the day, birds will show little indication of infestation but may exhibit striking anemia. This tick can be involved in the transmission of avian borreliosis and paralysis.

Ornithodoros hermsi- Relapsing fever tick (3 host). This is another common parasite of wild species as well as a major vector of human relapsing fever.

Tick Paralysis:

Tick paralysis is a disease caused by numerous species of ticks from several genera and is characterized by an acute, ascending flaccid motor paralysis. The paralysis affects the myoneural junction particularly the conduction rate of slower conducting terminal fibers of small diameter. The paralysis acts on motor nerves by diminishing the liberation of acetylcholine and by causing damage to receptor sites. Although detected worldwide, there are notable variations in the paralytic responses. Localized toxic reactions also have been described often making the separation of paralysis and toxic manifestations difficult. Most investigators believe that tick paralysis is caused by a toxin but its nature is not totally characterized. Generally it is believed that the toxin is produced in the salivary glands of the female tick. Paralysis in both humans and animals has been reported from the attachment of as few as a single female tick.

Prevention of tick infestations appears to be the only sure means of avoiding paralysis. Recovery, following tick removal, is usually complete.

Control and Treatment:

Treatment and control of ticks is a problem because of the wide variety of hosts that they can feed on and the fact that different stages feed on different animal species (one-host ticks being the exception). Additionally, all life stages of ticks may live for extended periods of time without feeding.
Various methods of control are employed for different host species. Infestations on companion animals can often be controlled by methods such as the use of treated collars, dusting, or other individual applications. Additionally, the premises (yards, kennels, etc.) can also be treated. This approach does not lend itself to large animal treatment and more extensive methods such as spraying, dipping, habitat clearing, burning, etc. are often employed.

Ivermectin has been shown to have an effect on tick infestations on large animals but generally only on a continuous use basis. During single use applications, many ticks will stay attached and discontinue feeding, resuming feeding again after drug levels are reduced. Several closely related and newly released products with various application methods show a potential for being useful in the control of many tick species on large animals.

Removal of ticks is important in both preventing the spread of disease agents to the animal as well as the person handling the tick. Since ticks often contain infectious particles in both the salivary glands, and hemolymph, ruptured or broken indivivuals can serve as a means of infection.

Removal should be accomplished by grasping the mouthparts close to the attachment point with forceps and slowly removing the tick.

Smile
04-23-2007, 11:46
Hope this is a light year for ticks! :)

Yahtzee
04-23-2007, 12:01
Hike with me. I will attract and become attached to any tick within 100 ft of the trail and you will remain bloodsucker-free. On the upside, my bug bites are few and far between. They bug but don't bite.

Record ticks in one day: 21 in SNP. 16 dog ticks and 5 deer ticks. By the end of the day only expletives and a ritualistic burning of the ticks kept me sane.

I get ticks anytime of year, but since they primarily hang around in tall grass the chances in winter are fewer and farther between.

Outlaw
05-01-2007, 09:08
This past weekend, my son and some of his buddies were "cowboy" camping along the Vermont- New York border. All the boys picked up some unwanted hitchhikers. My son had two; one was a dog tick (on his arm) and the other was a deer tick (on his flank). He got the dog tick off prettly quickly, but since we aren't sure of how long the deer tick was on him, we're going to have a lyme disease titer drawn just to be on the safe side. One friend wasn't so lucky, he awoke with one clinging to a, uh, rather sensitive part of the male anatomy!:eek:

The amount of ticks this time of year and this far north is somewhat unusual... and alarming! :( Be diligent in checking yourself for ticks on a daily basis.

OrionTheRanger
05-01-2007, 17:21
Ticks are the most annoying bug you will ever find. Heck, I would prefer a taranchula to a tick. Its not bad enough they are natures muchers, but they make you sick. Is their anything out their to repel ticks?

A tick on his.....ouch, thats just painfull. Perverted little bug...

Tin Man
05-01-2007, 17:41
My boys and I have picked up a few in CT and NY within the last two weeks. :(

Appalachian Tater
05-01-2007, 17:58
Be ever mindful of Lyme and Lyme-like tick-borne disease, which can be completely debilitating. Many of the symptoms are typical hiker complaints and could be overlooked. You can't count on a having a bullseye rash to alert you to the condition.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/list_tickborne.htm

Rhino-lfl
05-03-2007, 15:47
Ticks are the most annoying bug you will ever find. Heck, I would prefer a taranchula to a tick. Its not bad enough they are natures muchers, but they make you sick. Is their anything out their to repel ticks?

A tick on his.....ouch, thats just painfull. Perverted little bug...

1/2 flowers of sulfur and 1/2 talc. Put it on your clothes. 100% DEET on skin.

No more bugs ever.

I wrote an article on tick prevention, I just can't find it now lol.

Rhino-lfl
05-03-2007, 15:52
1/2 flowers of sulfur and 1/2 talc. Put it on your clothes. 100% DEET on skin.

No more bugs ever.

I wrote an article on tick prevention, I just can't find it now lol.

Flowers of sulfer is also known as sublimed sulfur.

leeki pole
05-03-2007, 16:11
Ticks are terrible here this year. I never get them (maybe one or two the whole summer) but I've had three in the past four days after working my dogs. Be careful out there and check every day! Yes, the redbugs (chiggers to you Northeners) are out also. It's going to be a bad year for bugs, at least here in the South.

ozt42
05-03-2007, 17:44
my son picked up a couple of wood (dog) ticks this week. First really nice day of the year. He left one in my bed (the little darling) but the other one really burrowed into his armpit. I have never seen a tick go that deep or hold on that hard. Anyone have a good way to remove a tick that has really dug in?

mudhead
05-03-2007, 19:23
Assume you have that sucker off by now. I would like to know if using dog flea and tick shampoo, (the green Seargants stuff) to get them to release causes them to regurgitate. It takes a few minutes, and they still wiggle after they release. Active ingredient is Pyrithrins. (Mum extract, unsure of sp.)

Bad thing to do? Works well at home...

Undershaft
05-03-2007, 19:50
The ticks are out in force here on Cape Cod. I went hiking for a couple hours last weekend in the state forest. My hiking partner got a call from her Mom that she had to take, so I sat down on the edge of the trail to check the map. Within 10 seconds of sitting down I had a tick crawling halfway up my leg. I dislike ticks, but not as much as no-see-ums. Ticks I can deal with, it's the flying bugs that have the advantage over us.

Undershaft - former captain of the s/v SeaTick

jbwood5
05-03-2007, 22:02
I pulled a couple off me last week while on the Benton MacKaye, just a couple miles past the Appalacha Power house (going east) along the Hiawassee River in Tennessee. They are hardy creatures and it takes a hard freeze to keep them away for a few days.

Appalachian Tater
05-04-2007, 01:04
we're going to have a lyme disease titer drawn just to be on the safe side.

Lyme disease titer is not reliable. Be alert for signs and symptoms of Lyme-like disease regardless.

Outlaw
05-04-2007, 07:55
Lyme disease titer is not reliable. Be alert for signs and symptoms of Lyme-like disease regardless.

AT, you are 100% correct! The doctor said that they receive a lot of false- negative test results. Interestingly, although confirmed as a deer tick (I brought the little SOB with me in a ziplock bag), the doctor does not want to start my son on antibiotics prophilactedly [sic]. They are sending the tick to a state lab for testing and results should be back in +/- one week.

I was admonished by the nurse that I should have placed the tick in a container full of rubbing alcohol and delivered it to a lab myself within 24 hours of removal (like I was expected to know this). According to the doctor, the lab does not test the tick for whether or not it is a carrier of the Lyme toxin, but whether it is deemed "engorged." In other words, if the tick, judging by it's relative size, seems that it had fed on the host, that would indicate whether treatment should be started or not.

Still no bullseye rash yet, but according to the dr., that could appear up to 6 weeks, if at all. Even if it does not, Lyme disease is still a possibility.:(

Appalachian Tater
05-04-2007, 20:18
Interestingly, although confirmed as a deer tick (I brought the little SOB with me in a ziplock bag), the doctor does not want to start my son on antibiotics prophylactically.......Still no bullseye rash yet, but according to the dr., that could appear up to 6 weeks, if at all. Even if it does not, Lyme disease is still a possibility.:(

Other kinds of ticks besides deer ticks can carry Lyme or other tick-borne disease. Bullseye rash occurs less than 50% of the time.

Treatment guidelines say not to give prophylactic antibiotics for tickbites.

However, early treatment is easier and more effective than later treatment. Be very alert for early symptoms and seek immediate treatment if any of them occur:

The symptoms of Lyme disease MAY (my may) include:
A flat or slightly raised red lesion at the site of the tick bite (can be larger than 1 to 3 inches in diameter, often with a clear area in the center)
Fever
Headache
Lethargy
Muscle pains
Stiff neck
Joint inflammation in the knees and other large jointsAdditional symptoms that may be associated with this disease:
Itching, overall
Unusual or strange behavior(from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001319.htm)

The neurological and other effects of chronic Lyme disease are awful compared to a course of oral antibiotics.

See also: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000669.htm

Good luck to your son, I hope he is not affected.

Outlaw
05-05-2007, 09:46
Thanks AT for all the great info and links. So far, so good.

My son is away in Binghamton at the NYS Freestyle & Greco Roman Wrestling Championships. He hasn't had any complaints yet, although the symptom regarding "unusual or strange behavior" started long before he was bitten... probably has a lot more to do with being a wrestler. LOL.

We'll be watching him and the bite site like a hawk when he gets home. The doc did write a script for an oral antibiotic in the event we see any new signs or symptoms, so we're prepared at a moments notice to get him loaded up with meds, if need be.

handlebar
05-05-2007, 12:34
We'll be watching him and the bite site like a hawk when he gets home. The doc did write a script for an oral antibiotic in the event we see any new signs or symptoms, so we're prepared at a moments notice to get him loaded up with meds, if need be.
Just to reiterate, I had Lyme on my AT thru last July: No rash at all--about 2 weeks after the last of 2 ticks I remember pulling off myself. Symptoms were like those of the flu---general malaise (I was hiking 16-18 mile days and one day couldn't go more than 8 miles---so tired I had to force myself to finish my dinner at 6pm), a slight bit of diarrhea, slight fever, feeling very tired. I was home for a family wedding and camped out on my docs doorstep Monday morning. Watch for those symptoms more so than the rash. My Dr. took blood test and prescribed Doxycycline just in case. Two days later there was a message on my cell phone, "Good call on the Lyme". Turns out my titer was positive and the Doxy took care of the Lyme as none of the "advanced" symptoms have appeared and I quickly regained my energy as the antibiotic kicked in. Yes, I know the concerns about antibiotic resistant bacteria strains developing, but I believe folks are still dosing animals with antibiotics so an occasional prophylactic course in humans probably would be just a drop in the ocean.

A couple weeks later, I heard a horror story from a dad in NJ who described his son's ordeal with advanced Lyme---antibiotics delivered by catheter to his son's heart, lasting neurologic effects, etc. At Upper Goose Pond a hiker had taxied to a clinic with the flu like symptoms but no rash. Was seen by a Physicians Assistant who ignored the symptoms and sent here back---a $30 taxi ride, a lot of money for some of the younger hikers. By evening (less than 10 hours later), she had a large rash and high fever and had to be evacuated by ambulance to an ER where she was finally treated for Lyme. To my mind, taking the antibiotic prophylactically makes good public health sense, considering the "cost" of failure to treat.

Outlaw
05-05-2007, 13:12
Thanks Handlebar. I asked the doc about getting started on the Doxy, but they felt it was okay to wait a week for the lab results. In the interim, any signs/symptoms appear, we're ready to go. Even if the lab results are negative, I have the script ready for filling just in case.

refreeman
05-05-2007, 14:48
I've started to wear Ex Officio Buzz Off clothing. I have not had a tick on me while wearing a Buzz Off top and bottom. However, they cost quite a bit. So, I am very interested in Rhino-lfl (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=12150)'s DIY Bugs Off treatment for clothing.

Rhino-lfl (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=12150) please link to you article. Also, have you or anyone else used Buzz Off clothing - can you compair the effectiveness to your DIY method? vbmenu_register("postmenu_359258", true);

Appalachian Tater
05-05-2007, 17:47
We'll be watching him and the bite site like a hawk when he gets home.

Here are some photos of the bullseye rash (erythema migrans):

http://www.lymenet.org/picture4.shtml

Note that even IF your son gets a rash, it may NOT be at the site of the tick bite. It can be anywhere on the body.

I am glad you have a scrip ready to go if need be.

TIDE-HSV
05-06-2007, 00:36
Ex Officio's home page, they usually have articles on sale at a pretty good price.

Rhino-lfl
05-07-2007, 13:01
I've started to wear Ex Officio Buzz Off clothing. I have not had a tick on me while wearing a Buzz Off top and bottom. However, they cost quite a bit. So, I am very interested in Rhino-lfl (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=12150)'s DIY Bugs Off treatment for clothing.

Rhino-lfl (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=12150) please link to you article. Also, have you or anyone else used Buzz Off clothing - can you compair the effectiveness to your DIY method? vbmenu_register("postmenu_359258", true);

Well, not a lot or articles on it but here is the strait poop. Permethrin-containing repellents are recommended for use on clothing, they are a pesticide that kills on contact. Soak or spray your clothing in it and you are good for almost any conditions for 3 weeks or more. Try it, spray a shirt with the stuff then let it dry, then go get some ticks and drop them on it, they die right away.

Cover your bare skin and head with 100% deet, especially around entry points. Then use some "Flowers of sulfur" as found in the pharmacy, also known as "sublimed sulfur" mixed with baby power (50/50) and toss it around some clothing areas such as ankles, hat, etc. This stuff is a repellant, and if you make a small circle with it and drop a tick in, it will scatter in circles around the stuff. You could sleep in a deer patch and will not get one single tick and you can actually hear the mosquitoes breaking the sound barrier to get away from you.

Permethrin: $5.00
DEET: $5.00
Flowers of sulfur: $7.00
Number of applications: Countless
Never ever getting bit/bothered: Priceless

Rhino-lfl
05-07-2007, 13:01
Oh, and eat lots of garlic, it's good for you.

SunnyWalker
07-13-2007, 23:47
In hiking the AT in GA in July would it be better to not wear shorts then? Instead wear long pants? -SunnyWalker

Appalachian Tater
07-13-2007, 23:57
In hiking the AT in GA in July would it be better to not wear shorts then? Instead wear long pants? -SunnyWalker

It would be better but it might be too hot.

SunnyWalker
08-05-2007, 21:37
I came I have returned (from GA and AT in July). I hiked in shorts, only used bug spray once-never saw any ticks.
-SunnyWalker