PDA

View Full Version : An update from Miss Janet in Erwin

Miss Janet
09-09-2003, 10:33
I would like to quietly... so as not to wake those nasty Trolls,... (nothing personal, attroll!), give those who are interested an update about what has been going on. I am sorry it is so long. If you are not interested, please, go onto something else. Let's please not turn this into a negative discussion. I have had enough negative this summer to last for a LONG time!

After almost 10 tense weeks I finally have some closure for this "Illegal Shuttle Business" investigation. In a specially called meeting, not a hearing, the Unicoi County Sheriffs Department Special Investigator has said officially, that the way I run my shuttle business IS LEGAL and all charges have been DROPPED.

As long as I DO NOT CHARGE A SET PRICE for my shuttle services and as long as I only extend my services to hikers and as long as my insurance and license is kept current...etc.... they see no reason to continue this investigation. This was a strange case, as they NEVER showed my Attorney or me what law I was breaking to bring charges in the first place. My lawyer and I spent many expensive hours researching laws and trying to get answers to our questions. We will never know for sure what started it all.
I spent a lot of time meeting with city and county officials, both the city and county mayors and some key business people; asking their opinion on the situation and asking for their support. I was very happy to find so much genuine interest in these offices. The support the AT community showed was almost overwhelming! Thank you to the dozens of hikers who wrote letters. These letters were made available to city and county officials, the newspapers and many interested parties. I think they were very important as a way to educate non hikers and show a swell of support in the AT community. In several cases they actually sparked an interest in hiking the AT in the readers! Thank you to those of you who called me, sent cards and gifts and emails... these were very special to me. A special thanks to those of you who helped out financially, your generosity is more appreciated than you will ever know!

The bad news is that I believe "Miss Janet’s House" will continue to be "observed" very closely by law enforcement officials now that we are on their radar. Too many people in the community as well as some officers of the law, still believe that "Something Bad" is going on in my home and that my children are being exposed to negative things because "I let you people stay in my house with my kids..." (Direct quotes from an officer)... This is sad and only time and education will make any changes in these attitudes. That is ok as I have nothing to hide and I plan on being around to help hikers for a lot longer! I have given a standing invitation to all law enforcement officers, city officials and neighbors to visit often and join us for breakfast anytime! The allegations of complaints by my neighbors proved to be exaggerated, false or unrecorded anywhere. But if there ARE ever any complaints, the police have agreed to come straight to me so they can be taken care of right away. Most of my neighbors showed a lot of support for what I am doing here and made statements about how nice and polite the hikers are while they are in our neighborhood. Thank you for being considerate!
For now, I will continue to try to educate my community about who you are, what you are doing and why the Appalachian Trail and those that choose to hike it; are important to our whole area and not just to me and my family. I will continue to try to show the doubters that my children have benefited greatly from their conversations and experiences with so many people from all over the world... from a wonderfully diverse world! I will continue to try to find a way to live and work in PEACE with those that persist in trying to hurt me and my reputation in this community.

TJ aka Teej
09-09-2003, 11:17
Thanks for the very positive update, Miss Janet! Good luck, and many blessings to you in every way.

eArThworm
09-09-2003, 15:17
Hooray! Most excellent news. Boo and hiss to the bad guys. You keep on doing your usual wonderful job. Love & hugs. ew

Cedar Tree
09-09-2003, 17:11
Excellent post Miss Janet! I really like the way you didn't say anything negative about ...... well you know who.

Lilred
09-09-2003, 18:23
Keep up the good work Ms. Janet. Perhaps some folks in Erwin should reread their bibles concerning what it says about entertaining strangers........ May God bless you Ms. Janet.

walkerat99
09-09-2003, 21:13
Miss Janet,

Glad to know that everything is working out for you and the AT hikers. Thanks for the update and you are a wonderful sincere person, and deserve the very best in this life. You have helped and cared for so many of us, and I think if more people were like you, it would be a much better world.

I wish you the very best and hopefully I will see you again sometime in the next couple of years...

Sincerely,
Ed (Never Alone)AT99, AT01

A-Train
09-09-2003, 21:26
Much love and praise to and the girls
A-Train

Mini-Mosey
09-10-2003, 19:09
I hope to hike south at some point and would love to meet you.

trailangelmary
09-12-2003, 13:05
Lilredmg, do you have the# for that section of the bible? I would like to read it.

deeddawg
09-12-2003, 14:11
Originally posted by trailangelmary
Lilredmg, do you have the# for that section of the bible? I would like to read it.
Hebrews 13:2
Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Coosa
09-12-2003, 23:25
:banana

Miss Janet:

Well, I guess you didn't need the letter I still haven't finished, then.

I'm so glad that the worst of the situation is over. I do hope that the locals and the sheriff's deputies and anyone else who doesn't understand about our Community will take you up on the breakfast.

I just might drive up there one Friday with Casey and see how things are going.

This here's getting to be really good hiking weather!

Give the girls a pat on the back and an "atta-girl" from me and Casey and take a couple for yourself. (Or a couple Vitamin I's as the case may be!)

Good thoughts sailing up the AT in your direction!
Coosa
and Casey the WonderDog

:banana

Skeemer
09-18-2003, 20:37
I'm just getting around to visiting Whiteblaze since completing my thru-hike last month. When I saw your name on this post I had to check it out. You do not deserve such treatment and this kind of harassment must cease. No one is a better friend to the hiker community than Miss Janet. Your sincere friendship is appreciated by countless hikers. Your unselfish acts will not go unrewarded. Thanks again for welcoming hikers and making our stop in Erwin fun and memorable.

Miss Janet
09-19-2003, 01:43
Skeemer... you don't have to say such nice thing about me... I promise I won't put that picture in the gallery! Not yet anyway!

Landslide
09-20-2003, 09:24
Miss Janet,

I've been out of the "hiker" loop for waaaayyy too long. But what a wonderful post to see ton the first day after joining WhiteBlaze.
Take care - and never lose that wonderful attitude!

Tent-N-Kent
09-24-2003, 12:58
I hope I didn't embarrass or hurt your feelings last fall in Pipestem at the Gathering when I asked how would You describe yourself and the role you play in our Trail community...I have just one humble but heartfelt word,...Amazing...Tent-N-Kent

Doctari
10-22-2003, 12:04
I so understand, I too live in a small town, have had "similar" experience with them. My theroy is; They say:Hey, we dont have anything to do, lets go hassel someone, just pull a name out of the hat & let us see what their breaking point is. Great fun!"

I live in the same town, but it's in Ohio :-)
And my town is smaller, so you can well imagine what they are like. :rolleyes: