PDA

View Full Version : Sliding around sleeping bag

ImkerVS
04-23-2007, 08:14
My sleeping bag slides around like a drunken iceskater on top of my Big Agnes inflatable pad. If the tent is on slight slope, during the night I'm downhill bound.

What to do?

My wife says Velcro is not a good idea because she thinks the bag will tear. Very sheer outer material on the bottom of the bag.

Smile
04-23-2007, 08:16
The nature of the beast!
slide slide slippity slide.....downhill in a tent you will glide.
Set it up stake it up put in a pole.....no more uphill downhillroll. :)

PJ 2005
04-23-2007, 08:41
I don't know if this is safe for the top of a sleeping pad, but... I painted lines of silicon seam sealer on the silnylon floor of my tent. It keeps me from going anywhere.

Photofanatic
04-23-2007, 08:42
Go to the shoe department. They make sticky things on that go on womens pumps so we don't go sliding on those slick soles. Stick a few onto your sleeping back then stitch them on. They will give your sleeping bag a little traction so it doesn't slide so much. You only need a few, put them where the heaviest parts of your body rest in the sleeping bag usually buttocks and shoulders. No more slippage.

Gaiter
04-23-2007, 09:15
My sleeping bag slides around like a drunken iceskater on top of my Big Agnes inflatable pad. If the tent is on slight slope, during the night I'm downhill bound.

don't sleep in the moreland gap shelter, you'll slide right out of there, lol (unless it has been fixed since last summer)
and to get the punch line here is the story bob told me about the tree in front of the moreland gap shelter, he looked at it and said that it was about to fall, but he didn't think he could drop it with out it falling on the shelter, so he called a professional/friend, who decided that he couldn't drop it either with out landing on the shelter, so they called in the forest service, who dropped the tree on the shelter, and now the shelter floor has a nice slope to it.

-gaiter

Ewker
04-23-2007, 09:24
get some kitchen mesh shelf liner that you put glasses on. Cut you a piece 12"x12" (weighs nothing) and put it between your pad and bag

Photofanatic
04-23-2007, 10:46
get some kitchen mesh shelf liner that you put glasses on. Cut you a piece 12"x12" (weighs nothing) and put it between your pad and bag
Awsome idea Ewker, I have that stuff under my kitchen rugs to keep them from slipping on the tile and you are right it weighs nothing.

Rain Man
04-23-2007, 17:19
I sewed loops on my sleeping bag and tie strips on my Therm-A-Rest. I don't slide no where, no how, any more, unless the whole thing goes together.

Rain:sunMan

max patch
04-23-2007, 17:30
thermarest sells a "tacky" spray for this very purpose.

Critterman
04-23-2007, 20:55
thermarest sells a "tacky" spray for this very purpose.

They used to but don't now. I have an old slippery thermarest and used their spray but couldn't find any 3-4 years ago. I called them and they quit making it. The guy there said that there is a spray used for tennis racket grips that works. I never looked for it and don't know if there is such a thing. I put bath tub non slip stickon strips on my old pad and it works about as well.

Jester2000
04-23-2007, 21:28
What I do is, I camp on flat ground.

aaronthebugbuffet
04-23-2007, 21:34
They used to but don't now. I have an old slippery thermarest and used their spray but couldn't find any 3-4 years ago. I called them and they quit making it. The guy there said that there is a spray used for tennis racket grips that works. I never looked for it and don't know if there is such a thing. I put bath tub non slip stickon strips on my old pad and it works about as well.
Seems like that spray stuff would collect a lot of dirt.

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 22:39
shoooeeee,.. thank you jester. duh! nice try though. tapeing yourself to a hill. lol. staples?

Photofanatic
04-24-2007, 07:06
What I do is, I camp on flat ground.
I met my boyfriend in October 2005, he used to hike and bike but the past 16 years or so he has been devoted to parenting and had denied himself those things to spend the time with his boys. After meeting me he got back into hiking so we could hike together. He was impressed with the downgraded weight of things and has become a gear head. He is always looking for better, lighter, neat stuff. So anyway we took our first overnight together in the fall. We hiked a little too long and it was getting dark fast so we found a place off the trail, cleared away the sticks etc. and pitched our tent. A mountain hardware silicone permeated ultra light (very slick tent). I don't use a pad, so he doesn't. We spread out our sleeping bags and walked away from the tent to make our dinner. (I am starting him out with good habits so we don't have any problems on a long hike). Sitting back from the tent I could see that it was on an ever so slight downhill. At least my feet will be downhill I thought to myself and didn't mention it to him. (He had chosen the spot).
After dinner we stripped down to get into our zero degree bags. (I love my zero and sleep well in it.) I noticed he was wearing new undies. They were body armor compression underwear bright red and sexy. I smiled and we got into our separate sleeping bags and round one of a roughly five hour battle began. Fortunately I wasn't involved.
Perhaps only you men could appreciate this romance between slick underwear, slick sleeping bag, in a slick tent. I slept well between bouts of laughter as he spent the night climbing uphill.

EWS
04-24-2007, 07:31
Perhaps only you men could appreciate this romance between slick underwear, slick sleeping bag, in a slick tent.

More proof that underware are evil.:-?

Lilred
04-24-2007, 09:00

What to do?

My wife says Velcro is not a good idea because she thinks the bag will tear. Very sheer outer material on the bottom of the bag.

I've only had this happen to me a couple of times. I found that if I sleep on my stomach, with my arms over the edge of the pad, I can hang on and sleep. Works pretty good, but you have to be able to sleep on your stomach.

Fiddler
04-24-2007, 09:58
I've never had a problem like this, but a couple years ago one guy had a simple solution. He used the same bag spring through fall. He simply glued the bag to the pad. Rolled them both up together. I don't know if I would do this, don't know how I could wash the bag, but for him it worked.