PDA

View Full Version : Getting from Philadelphia PA to Port Clinton

garyand
04-23-2007, 12:56
I will be hiking northbound this July from Port Clinton to Kent Ct. I will be flying into Philadelphia from Charlotte NC and was wandering about public transportation or shuttle availability in Philly to Port Clinton.

Thanks

Trailname: Tater

Mother's Finest
04-23-2007, 16:20
when you get your dates nailed down, let me know. If leaving Philadelphia on a sunday is in your plans, I could likely give you a ride to the trail. (this will not work the Sunday before July 4th)

peace
mf

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 16:54
port is easy. bus only. every couple or four hours. prove your not scarygary and ill give you a place to crash and prep. bus is 14 minnuts from me.

emerald
04-23-2007, 17:42
With so many ways to Port Clinton, you'd think it must surely be the center of the universe!:rolleyes: ;)

See escape from philly 2 starring matthewski (post #13) (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=349422&postcount=13) for information related to Martz Trailways.

Capitol Trailways goes through Port Clinton enroute to Pottsville and you could get dropped off right at Port Clinton Hotel, where you could get a room, a meal or a Yuengling malt beverage. Alternatively, you could catch a BARTA bus from Reading to Cabela's.

emerald
04-23-2007, 18:02
ATC maintains a list (*.pdf) that can be downloaded by clicking here (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATshuttleWEB_April_04_2007.pdf). You'll need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed to view it.

You may want to save this file for access at a later time. Saving the link to your Favorites is a simple way to keep the most recent version a click away at all times.

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 22:31
or you could embark on an unplanned stumble into port. its not wilderness ya know. but it is way smaller than your average trail town.you have your choice of a room a meal a motorcycle or candy.and beer and a post office. other than that its all barking dogs and no choices.

fiddlehead
04-23-2007, 22:54
or you could embark on an unplanned stumble into port. its not wilderness ya know. but it is way smaller than your average trail town.you have your choice of a room a meal a motorcycle or candy.and beer and a post office. other than that its all barking dogs and no choices.

Except of course that Pennsylvania's Biggest Tourist Attraction is less than 2 miles away. I believe Cabelas runs free buses to and from many places. Keep in mind they put Appalacian Outfitters out of business (IMO intentionally) by stopping in front of their store everyday to see if any hikers wanted to free ride to Cabelas.
Interesting thing here in Thailand: i saw a sign for the worlds' largest sporting goods store recently opened in Patong, Phuket so i went to check it out as i was looking for a jogging stroller for my boy and me. Turned out it was about 1/10th the size of Cabelas. Although i don't know which is bigger: Cabelas or LL Bean. Probably Cabelas in square feet but LL Bean has a lot more stuff for hikers. We went to Cabelas after they first opened and were looking for some gaiters for our Nepal trip. Turns out they don't sell any kind of gaiters. Kept trying to talk us ino "waders" instead.
It's mostly guns, fishing rods and high end toys for truck campers (like the motorized blender that looks like a chainsaw!)
Across from Cabelas is Burger King, Dunkin Doughnuts, Wendy's (i believe) as well as RV sales, gas stations, jewelers, etc. It will soon be looking like Cloverdale, VA.

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 22:57
they got a indoor fining hole. puddle. whatever.

garyand
04-24-2007, 18:04
Thanks for the information about travel. My dates of travel right now is set for around July 20th or 21st which is when the summer session ends at our school. And no, I am not scary Gary but have been called that
(or worse) by many a college student especially before final exams.

Looking forward to this section of the trail (Pt. Clinton to Kent Ct.) I plan to finish up around August 10th and then head to Manhatten. Thanks for the offer of shelter and a possible ride to the trail. I will be flying into Philly and would like to see the sights. Planned to head out the next day to Port Clinton to start NB.

Thanks. Tater

mweinstone
04-24-2007, 18:06
pm me when you leave and well do lunch at least. i can point you to the zoo balloon. its the only fun we have.

Mother's Finest
04-24-2007, 18:12
what about the rising murder rate here in philly....fun?? no???