PDA

View Full Version : Tent or Hammock

specialscott97
04-23-2007, 15:51
I am a Boy Scout, and I have become very interested in backpacking. I already have a Eureka Apex 2 from 4 or 5 years ago, and I'm looking for something smaller, lighter, and overall better. I have heard viewpoints from both sides, but I still can't decide between a tent or a hammock. I am looking at the Eureka Spitfire UL for a tent, and the normal Hennessy for the hammock. If you guys could give me pros and cons for each, that would help alot.

Thanks-

Scottie

Grinder
04-23-2007, 16:15
Hammocks: be sure you look at the whole system, not just the hammock. If your overnight temps go below 50 deg. F, you will need under insullation.

Tents: Tarp tents are the best for ultra light. look at Henry Shires for starts.

If you throw enough money at it, either system is competitive on a weight basis.

Hangers, such as myself, claim superior comfort.

as always, do your research and then hike your own hike

Miles of Smiles,
Tom

specialscott97
04-23-2007, 16:23
Ok thanks! I have a thermarest Prolite 4 pad that I use all the time because it is small and light. Im sure this would be enough insulation for me because im not the one to get too cold at night. I have friends that have both a tent and a hammock, and they reccomend the hammock for ultralight backpacking. The tent that Im looking at is just as light as the hammock. There are only a few things that are keeping me from making this desicion right now. 1) Is it easy to change in the hammock? 2) Do you just keep your pack under the hammock? 3) Is it easy to get used to sleeping like that (I can fall asleep easily in my dads hammock at home, is this similar?) 4) Does your pad move alot underneath you?

Thanks

Scottie

PS: I dont like to use tarps for camping, unless desperate for room and weight.

RockStar
04-23-2007, 16:45
Changing under a Tarp sounds better than my usual outside of my tent. Most ppl Hang their pack along side their hammock using a self made gear hammock/pack cover or a Jacks R better gear hammock/pack cover. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Jeffs%20Gear%20Hammock-Pack%20Cover.htm
And I have heard that using kitchen shelf/drawer liners under the mats helps prevent slippage.

Hope that helps. Maybe try surfing over to the Hammockforums.net and eavesdrop to help with research. The Henry Shires tents are pretty snazzy. For ME the difference is the hammock is better on my back. otherwise I would probably use H.S. tarptent...unless I experienced the comfort of a hammock...then of course Id be using a hammock ;)

I use an ENO singlenest and a MacCat Standard. Slap Strap pro's and am gonna buy the Campmor Deluxe Bug Net/bivy. I love it!

Good Luck!

specialscott97
04-23-2007, 16:55
Ok thanks for that! Im going to use all of this information, and when I come to a conclusion (hopefully by the end of this week, because its going to drive me crazy!) Ill let you guys know what I decide. Thanks, and I can still take reccomendations.

Scottie

Just Jeff
04-23-2007, 18:00
Scott,

Check here (http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html) for some basic info...might answer some of your questions. Be sure to click on the Weight Comparison if you're interested in how some real-world systems stack up against each other.

specialscott97
04-23-2007, 18:10
Thanks. I took a look at that. I didnt realize how many different types of hammocks there were. Im thinking about getting the normal hennessy, but if I have extra money to spend, would you reccomend saving it or buying a MacCat Tarp?

Doctari
04-23-2007, 18:16
Also if considering a hammock, come over to http://www.hammockforums.net for some more hints tips & suggestions.

I tent camped for over 50 years. In fact my first overnight [car camping] trip I was 6 months old. I absolutly LOVED camping in a tent, still I'll never go back to ground.

Doctari.

StarLyte
04-23-2007, 18:18
Hello Scottie -

Did you come to the right place for answers or what? :D

You already have some training behind you, obviously.

If you could make it to Trail Days (http://www.traildays.info/), you can test many different hammocks and tents and talk to outfitters themselves.

In the meantime, you will appreciate the gear forums and opinions here on this site, and will probably not be able to find a better resource.

You can also talk to the many hikers at Trail Days...your BEST resource ;)

Good luck.

FanaticFringer
04-23-2007, 18:30
Thanks. I took a look at that. I didnt realize how many different types of hammocks there were. Im thinking about getting the normal hennessy, but if I have extra money to spend, would you reccomend saving it or buying a MacCat Tarp?

Hey Scott,

Sure wish I knew about hammock camping when I was 15.:mad:
Here are a couple of ideas for ya. The MacCat is a sweet tarp. I had one similar to it made for me. It's called a Black Cat tarp. If you know someone who sews, you could beg them to make you one.:p
www.jhatkhat.com/Khat/camping/bcdir/index.html
E-mail Hennessy and ask them if they have a demo list. I've bought 2 hammocks this way and saved alot of $$$$ They looked like brand new.

FanaticFringer
04-23-2007, 18:35
ALso check e-bay for good deals on Hennessy hammocks.

cannonball
04-23-2007, 18:47
You seem like a good kid. Why would you even consider the dark side. Hammocking will only rot you mind and morals.

Just Jeff
04-23-2007, 19:27
The stock tarp that comes with the Hennessy is adequate...nothing more. Lots of folks opt for a larger tarp so they have more margin for error in the rain, more room to cook and change, or just more room to sit around. Basically, it comes down to how much more weight you're willing to carry for more comfort. I go back and forth between the JRB 8x8 and the MacCat Standard...if you have the money to spend, it's worth it IMO.

Or you can look at making your own - the BlackCat linked above is basically a MacCat clone with different dimensions.

Or there's a cheap 9x9 tarp at www.sportsmansguide.com (http://www.sportsmansguide.com) - much heavier than others, but big, inexpensive and functional.

And several other options.

Btw - the guy who owns Whiteblaze, ATTroll, also runs Hammock Forums. Up to you whether you visit HF or not...plenty of great info here if you want to read through the AT posts as well. (I'm the mod there so I'm biased...come on over :D )

Egads
04-23-2007, 19:32
Cannonball,

Why do you want to make it political?:D

Egads

mr. dribbles
04-23-2007, 21:30
I have the Spitfire solo and a Hennessey ultralight backpacker. While the spitfire is a great tent with lots of headroom, it hasn't seen daylight since I got the hammock. The Spitfire UL has no pole at the foot end and I think you'll find it the added support necessary to keep it off your sleeping bag. Spitfires also have no vestibule room. I can only fit small things like boots in mine on the left- the right side vestibule is not accessible.

Listen to the pro's comments above. Start with a Hennessey and the stock tarp and upgrade as necessary. Make a pair of snakeskins. Go to Just Jeff's website (www.tothewoods.net) and check out ways to keep warm.

specialscott97
04-23-2007, 22:28
Thanks for all your help guys. I ended up buying the normal Hennessy Expedition, and a set of snake skins. Overall, it still came out cheaper than the tent, so im happy about that. Im going to take the advise and upgrade overtime. I looked at the price on the MacCat, and said that that is going to have to be a Christmas Present! When I spend my first night in it, im going to think about everything you said.

Thanks

Scottie

Rhino-lfl
04-25-2007, 12:54
Cute kid, I wonder if his mother knows he's planning on hanging himself?

cannonball
04-25-2007, 13:12
Cannonball,

Why do you want to make it political?:D

Egads
Its just not natural to swing from a tree all night.:eek: