PDA

View Full Version : minnesota smith update

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 22:43
hes signing his book at trail days.

Skidsteer
04-23-2007, 22:46

How much time could I save by just buying an unsigned copy? Is it allowed?

Hikerhead
04-23-2007, 22:47
Please save Sly and myself a copy before they sell out, would ya??

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 22:53
i know the title but cant tell. i can however hint. lw's post.

mweinstone
04-23-2007, 22:54
oh what the hell. its called one in twenty five. no ones suein me unless they get in line behind the irs. but its spelled with numbers.

Panzer1
04-23-2007, 23:28

Is there really a book??

Panzer

Heater
04-23-2007, 23:58
I really hope he did not sink a lot of time or bucks into this thing. He has been misled.

This is 07... a new year. There are very few lasting celebritys and MS 'aint one of them.

Good luck to Minnesota Smith in his future endeaors.

Goodbye....

Panzer1
04-24-2007, 00:03
If its on Amazon.com, I'm willing to bet that one of my relatives gives it to me for christmas.

Last Christmas, I got 4 hiking books.

Panzer

Pokey2006
04-24-2007, 00:16
I just really hope mweinstone wasn't his copy editor...

bfitz
04-24-2007, 01:37
1 in 25 what? Rolls of toilet paper?

The Solemates
04-24-2007, 09:32

...chances that a book by MS will sell more than 100 copies.

dixicritter
04-24-2007, 09:38

Chances that Matthewski is pulling our collective legs. :eek:

Ewker
04-24-2007, 09:53
Minnesota who :p

Alligator
04-24-2007, 09:59
Minnesota who :pThe Minnesota Dude.

Dances with Mice
04-24-2007, 10:53
Chances that Matthewski is pulling our collective legs. :eek:I'll let him pull my left one or right one but he'll lose the hand that touches my collective one.

Pirate
04-24-2007, 13:17
His book is going to replace Wingfoots Book. It will be more accurate and up to date. You can use it to start fires or use it as toilet paper.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-24-2007, 13:39
His book is going to replace Wingfoots Book. It will be more accurate and up to date. You can use it to start fires or use it as toilet paper.So should we expect it to contain six volumes?

Gray Blazer
04-24-2007, 13:54
Alright, who's gonna play who when the movie comes out? I want Kareem Abdul Jabbar (trail name:Lew Alcindor) to play me (Gray Blazer). Hey...HEY.....there just aren't that many short dumpy actors around! Matt, who's gonna be ewe? With your Oprah connection it shouldn't be too hard to find someone.

TJ aka Teej
04-24-2007, 14:33
Will he have finished coloring it by then?

Mother's Finest
04-24-2007, 15:41
Liar, Charlatan, Fraud, Fake, Flim-Flammer.......

I call on you sir to produce a copy of the book.

peace
mf

Tha Wookie
04-24-2007, 15:51
"PRIVETTING!"

"A FIRST-CLASS ACCOUNT OF A TRUE AMERIKAN ADVENTURE!"

"JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT EVERYTHING HAD BEEN SAID ABOUT THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL, A WORK COMES ALONG THAT MAKES YOU QUESTION!"

"THEY SHOULD CHANGE HIS NAME TO MINNESOTA WORDSMITH!"

looks like MS is delivering again!

Panzer1
04-24-2007, 16:06

When MS first started his thru, Lone Wolf said MS had 1 chance in 25 of making it to Katadhin.

Panzer

mweinstone
04-24-2007, 16:31
he wouldnt tell me whos on the cover but somehow i think it might be me and him. no? or you lonewolf. did anyone ever take your pic with ms? i read those blogs and one that said "best backpacking story ever!"

Wolf - 23000
04-24-2007, 20:52
He is one backpacker I would NOT want to take advise from!!!

Wolf

Lone Wolf
04-24-2007, 22:21
He is one backpacker I would NOT want to take advise from!!!

Wolf

MS is my Jesus Christ

Tha Wookie
04-24-2007, 22:56
MS is my Jesus Christ

He's my Exxonn

mweinstone
04-25-2007, 00:37
hes my spare liver doner.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-25-2007, 02:58
He's my spare dino :D

SGT Rock
04-25-2007, 06:30
"1001 Ways to Improve the AT"?

mweinstone
04-25-2007, 06:32
just got off the phone with luke. says hes not even allowed to post on this site till the signing. weird?

EWS
04-25-2007, 06:36
He can't risk carpal tunnel syndrome, he has lots of signing to do soon.

Trillium
04-25-2007, 21:36
He can't risk carpal tunnel syndrome, he has lots of signing to do soon.
so, how many books do you really think he will sell? what's the over/under?

I'm betting he will sell 2.

aaroniguana
04-25-2007, 21:41
1 out of 25,000?

Skidsteer
04-25-2007, 21:47
I'm betting he will sell 2.

Careful.

That could be the title of the sequel...:p

Jester2000
04-25-2007, 21:49
He's the wind beneath my wings.

DawnTreader
04-25-2007, 22:58
MS is my summers eve

Panzer1
04-25-2007, 23:08
MS is my summers eve

Isn't "summers eve" a douche??

Anonymous

Alligator
04-25-2007, 23:32
He's my Charmin.

Jimmers
04-26-2007, 02:13
Isn't "summers eve" a douche??

Anonymous

Ding! :cool:

Wanderingson
04-26-2007, 06:16

No silly--1 in 25 years it will take this new MS thread to die.

mweinstone
04-26-2007, 07:12
minnesota smith's my hero. even if he comes to trail days and dosnt give me a first eddition. ill settle for a signed copy. and im bringin him a disc with all my shots of him he dosnt have.

SGT Rock
04-26-2007, 07:16
Aunt Jemima get her bandanna back yet?

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/news_images/1353_3382_2.jpg

Dances with Mice
04-26-2007, 08:52
"Minnesota Smith Update" is a registered trademark of The Thread.

Any accounts or descriptions of Minnesota Smith without the expressed written permission of The Thread are strictly prohibited.

camojack
04-26-2007, 09:04
"Minnesota Smith Update" is a registered trademark of The Thread.

Any accounts or descriptions of Minnesota Smith without the expressed written permission of The Thread are strictly prohibited.

who gives a f ck really?:banana

Too late...

Wolf - 23000
04-26-2007, 09:21
MS is my Jesus Christ

L. Wolf,

Looking at the stuff you carry ... I think you took leasons.

Wolf

EWS
04-26-2007, 09:31
I've decided that I want a copy, if he really does publish a book. I wasn't here for the MS threads, but I read back through some of them. He can get his point across quite well, and though I don't agree with all of his opinions, I found them entertaining.

Dances with Mice
04-26-2007, 09:44
Too late...Look, guys, you know, if it were up to me....

But it's a union thing, ok? I just don't want anybody to get in any trouble.

STEVEM
04-26-2007, 11:07
The book will also have a great subtitle: "An Adventure with the Man who put PP in Appalachian"

Any book with a Panda Bear on the cover is a must read for me.

mweinstone
04-26-2007, 19:37
i dont know anything else so i cant realy post. does anyone remember hearing about this at southern ruck? dances? you brought minnesota in your car didnt you? and he seemed to leave early. what do you know about all this? i never thaught to ask ms if he spoke to you on it but based on your post,... are you hiding more that you really could be telling us? is ms really in colorado?whats up dances. spill it.

Dances with Mice
04-26-2007, 20:49
whats up dances. spill it.Why hasn't anyone been able to guess the title?

woodsy
04-26-2007, 21:08
How to bury lots of TP on the AT?

freefall
04-26-2007, 21:56
How to bury lots of TP on the AT?

"The last 2000 litres... Are In My Pack"

T-Dubs
04-26-2007, 22:33
Why hasn't anyone been able to guess the title?

Matty Made Me an American Idol?

Tom

k-n
04-28-2007, 11:40
what's his rules regarding book signings he's got em for everything else.

mweinstone
04-28-2007, 16:39
no blue ink. quill fether pen. no inscriptions save for inner circle friends and family. he will be seated in a lazyboy. rest room breaks each 15 min. no chips. cuttlefish snacks only.

camojack
04-29-2007, 00:41
i dont know anything else so i cant realy post.

Heh...when has a minor, trifling detail like that ever stopped you? :D

mweinstone
04-29-2007, 06:26
cammo jack has learned well my ways. but does anyone really wanna mess wit dat? i aint tinkin so. he da man!

Pirate
04-29-2007, 11:20
I have a video of him getting his pack shake down at Neels Gap. Got more video of him eating a large pizza.

Topcat
04-29-2007, 13:41
dont suppose you could post a snippet of that video..could you?

TOW
04-29-2007, 15:50
I'll let him pull my left one or right one but he'll lose the hand that touches my collective one.
Yeah? And that's your story and your hanging on to it.............:D

Pirate
04-29-2007, 20:15
Don't know how to snippet on the computer. The master copy is in Illinois.

mweinstone
04-30-2007, 04:16
i watched you make that film. me and abe and clothspin were haveing a public floss en mass on the sofa near the door. for weeks after that fatefull eve, we flossed together. it all started when abe suggested public flossing in groupes. its a wonderful tool for social deadvancement.

mweinstone
04-30-2007, 06:27
ms called at 545 am this morn. hes useing the proceeds from the book to marry a mail order bride and take her on a second thruhike. and hes buying a house on the trail and opening a hostel. it will have a dog area!

EWS
04-30-2007, 07:56
I guess he went with "Fred's" advice which he once posted a link to:

www.fredoneverything.com (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.fredoneverything.com) #204

Marriage, Horror, And Susan Reimer
Take Horror. It's A Better Bet.

July 14, 2003

Were I to offer thoughts on marriage to young American men today, in these the declining years of a once-great civilization, my advice would be as follows: Don't do it. Or, if you do, do it in another country. In America marriage is a grievous error.

And why so? Because of The Chip. The Attitude. The bandsaw whine of anger, anger, anger that makes American women an international horror. It's there. It's real.

You, a young man, may not recognize the Chip if you have never seen normal, warm, happy women. If you are twenty-something and haven't been out of the US, you haven't seen them. They exist by the billion--in Latin America, Singapore, Taiwan, Malaya, China and, last I looked, France and Holland. And of course not every woman in America carries the Chip. None of them think they do. Yet it is the default, the usual, what comes out of the box.

The following is a perfectly ordinary, everyday, bulk-lot example, suitable for poisoning a cistern:

"Other than a 29-inch waist and a full head of hair, there isn't much to recommend the twentysomething male…He is living an extended adolescence -- an adult-olescence -- and every immature, irresponsible, self-absorbed thing he does is reinforced by the latest issue of his favorite men's magazine." (Susan Reimer, a columnist for the Baltimore Sun. I bet she goes out a lot.)*

Hers is the Attitude--and what they think of you. It is the defining trait of American women. Exceptions exist, and they have my apologies, but they are few and no, sport, your Sally probably isn't one of them. They're coiled to bite. As soon as problems arise in the marriage, they turn into Susan.

Susan Reimer is what is out there, guys: bitter that no one wants her (as who in his right mind could?), sure that no one is good enough for her, never having grasped that those who would be loved must first be lovable. Understand this: Susan is America. Some hide it better, springing it on you after the ceremony, but Susan is the rule.

The Susans do not like men. Sometimes they actually take courses in disliking men ("Women's Studies"). Yet they want to marry one and have babies. For them, the contradiction actually makes a kind of sense, because (and they know this, believe me) they will get the house, the children, and the child support. For you, it makes no sense. You will get raped in the divorce courts. You don't know how bad it is. Don't do it.

A prime effect of marriage is backbreaking financial overhead: the excessive house in the prestigious suburb, the pricey but boring cars, all that. But if you don't fall into the trap, keeping your expenses down means you can live in Alaska or overseas and enjoy existence. There is more to life than debt service. Although these are bad times for marrying, they are extraordinarily good times for being single.

Now, children. This is sticky. You may want them, or think you want them, or think you may want them. She wants them. My advice is to move to almost any country where English isn't spoken and women don't want their husbands to be the mothers of their children. Any country inhabited by the Chinese would do nicely.

Incidentally, remember that it is never now or never. Your prospects improve with time. At thirty-five or fifty you will be perfectly able to find a good woman if you know where to look. See above list.

Remember also that these are not good times for having children in America. It is almost irresponsible. The schools are scholastically poor, drug-ridden, given chiefly to political indoctrination, and hostile to male children. The universities are little better. Divorce is hell on children and their fathers, and nearly universal. The country lunges to police-statedom and isn't, I suspect, as stable as it might be. Worse, worst, there is Susan Reimer. Her name is legion, and she seeps everywhere, like the effluvium of unwashed socks.

Further, there is no social duty to have children. Some argue that the white population is in decline. Tough. If the country chooses to make having kids undesirable, then let it decline. It is not your problem.

Now, you might well wonder, why are American women carrying the Chip? Practically, it doesn't matter: They do carry it, and will continue. Still, it is partly because from birth they are fed the notion that they have been oppressed, battered, cheated, deprived, harassed, used as sex objects, not used as sex objects, on and on. Being rational, you are perhaps inclined to point out that never has a female population been less any of these things, but don't bother. It will have no effect. The Chip is an emotional artifact to which they respond emotionally.

The bedrock of The Attitude is that everything is the man's fault. Wonders Reimer, "What is the answer, especially if the 20- and 30-year-old male is such poor marriage material?" She does not wonder, "If I am such a grindingly awful termagant that men on three continents are crossing their legs and feeling queasy over my mere column, and won't come near me except in a Kevlar bathysphere with a disinfectant system, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Gosh. I wonder what?"

Yet something more is going on, though one does not easily see just what. Note that in recent decades we have seen the invention by women of bulimia and anorexia, which no one had heard of in 1965. Men made them do it. At roughly the same time women began getting breast implants, which men also made them do, and then suing about it. In the same period they began having induced memories of being raped or satanically abused by their fathers. Men again. The psychotherapy racket grew like kudzu, a sure sign of deep unhappiness over something.

All of this is recent. You have to be fifty to remember women who were resilient, sane, psychically strong and, within the limits of an often sorry existence, content. But whatever the answer, guys, the problem isn't yours.

Spend a year overseas, however you have to do it. For smart, classy, just plain glorious women who often speak English, try Singapore. Argentina is splendid. Many places are. You would be amazed. See what's out there before you marry a gringa with her Inner Susan, who will one day burst from her chest like one of those beaked space-aliens in the movies, dripping venom. They're death.

Dances with Mice
04-30-2007, 08:14
The article is about as useful as marriage advice from a bitter divorced guy.

camojack
04-30-2007, 09:10
The article is about as useful as marriage advice from a bitter divorced guy.

Oh, I dunno...I've come across (take that however you wish) a lot of women just like the ones described in the article. :-?

There's a reason for the fact that the "mail order bride" industry is thriving... :o

rafe
04-30-2007, 09:18
Oh, I dunno...I've come across (take that however you wish) a lot of women just like the ones described in the article. :-?

Maybe the ladies don't find camo all that sexy...

StarLyte
04-30-2007, 09:57
After reading this thread....I don't feel so idiotic for posting the weird threads I started here HA HA :D :D

As for traveling overseas to meet the person of your dreams....try therapy for a few years. Sounds more realistic to me. Take a look in the mirror too.

Jimmers
04-30-2007, 10:01
There's a reason for the fact that the "mail order bride" industry is thriving... :o

Umm, denial?:D

EWS
04-30-2007, 10:13
After reading this thread....I don't feel so idiotic for posting the weird threads I started here HA HA :D :D

As for traveling overseas to meet the person of your dreams....try therapy for a few years. Sounds more realistic to me. Take a look in the mirror too.

I'v lived overseas for eight out of the last nine years. Odds are MUCH better overseas to find women without the "chip" and a bit of grace.

EWS
04-30-2007, 10:15
Oh, the idiotic part was me remembering one of MS old posts and relating it to his possible "investment".

camojack
04-30-2007, 10:48
Umm, denial?:D

I was thinking more in terms of that "chip" the article referred to. :(

FWIW, none of my (several) brides were "mail order"...but all of them had the "chip" installed, so I know what they mean.

As it happens, my current love interest (http://gallery.backcountry.net/Trail-Days-2006/HPIM3835) is a genuine sweetheart, at least so far... :banana

camojack
04-30-2007, 10:55
Maybe the ladies don't find camo all that sexy...

Au contraire (http://www.gunsandcamo.com/2007.htm)... :banana

Grinder
04-30-2007, 10:58
I'm so glad I ran into this bunch of miscreants!!

This thread reminds me of a writing on the ****house wall that I read in Colorado forty years ago . Written in three distinct hand writings.

"People are no damn good!

People are as good as anybody

Yeah!, but who wants good people!!"

Have a good day.

Tom

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-30-2007, 10:58
::: dino peeks down shirt looking for her inner Susan :::

Jimmers
04-30-2007, 11:02
Nothing personal Camo!:D

Usually denial that there's anything wrong with our own warm and fuzzy personalities that would make someone turn on us. (men, that is) I saw a poster once that sums it up nicely: "Remember, the only common factor in all your failed relationships is...YOU."

Not a big believer in the "chip theory.":)

Gray Blazer
04-30-2007, 11:11
By reading that article I learned what a termagant is. Sounds like a good name for a play "The Taming of the Termagant". It's even got the alliteration going for it. Is MS getting married?

Dances with Mice
04-30-2007, 11:15
By reading that article I learned ... ... that women began getting breast implants ---after--- they were invented but not before!

rafe
04-30-2007, 11:17
Au contraire (http://www.gunsandcamo.com/2007.htm)... :banana

Looks like a site for camo-wearing wankers.

Darwin again
04-30-2007, 11:35
I've got a clip of MS going through the process of putting on his pack at Beagle Gap, but I'll only post it and link to it here with MS's explicit permission.

Mattewski, can you use your backchannels to see if he'll allow it?

RadioFreq
04-30-2007, 13:16
By reading that article I learned what a termagant is. Sounds like a good name for a play "The Taming of the Termagant". It's even got the alliteration going for it. Is MS getting married?

I think it would be a great trail name for that any female hiker who doesn't
want to deal with intelligent male hikers...just the ignorant ones. :-?

Gray Blazer
04-30-2007, 13:57
I think it would be a great trail name for that any female hiker who doesn't
want to deal with intelligent male hikers...just the ignorant ones. :-?
You could call them termite for short.:D

mweinstone
04-30-2007, 18:35
smith is in the house. hes worried this thread could cause a problem but said they havent noticed . he just got off the phone with his publisher who was calling to confirm the books have been sent to v.a. said he'd put a rock in my pack if he looses a dollar cause of this. but was jokeing. he no care about authority. were gonna hike a little at trail days . cool? the thewski and smitty gonna lay down some blaze. oh yeah ,.. were sellin books together. he may need help if the thing gets crazy. there bringin 6 people to set up. weirder and weirder.

saimyoji
04-30-2007, 18:42
New titles for this thread:

The Thread 2
The Thread - revisited
Smitty Rides Again
Good god when will we be allowed to forget

26 rolls of TP on the wall, 26 rolls of TP....take one down, wipe up some brown....

:D:banana:D

camojack
04-30-2007, 19:10
Looks like a site for camo-wearing wankers.

You're into ad hominems, huh? Sad... :-?

mweinstone
04-30-2007, 19:48
ms is a thruhiking blob!

mweinstone
04-30-2007, 19:53
there is a book.

mweinstone
04-30-2007, 19:54
yes there is a mail order bride.

SGT Rock
04-30-2007, 19:55
I've got a clip of MS going through the process of putting on his pack at Beagle Gap, but I'll only post it and link to it here with MS's explicit permission.

If you need a server to house it on, I would like to offer some space. I would love to see the clip.

mweinstone
04-30-2007, 19:55

mweinstone
04-30-2007, 19:58
yo dude? thats not cool! why ? man,...........what about freedom of write? oh yeah, private site. so , they go thru to you. i see. thats how its gonna be. okay.

SGT Rock
04-30-2007, 20:02
Hell, out it up on Youtube LOL

mweinstone
04-30-2007, 20:17
ill do it. send it to me. [email protected]

Gray Blazer
05-01-2007, 00:26
New titles for this thread:

The Thread 2
The Thread - revisited
Smitty Rides Again
Good god when will we be allowed to forget

:D:banana:D

How 'bout "The Trail Gods Must Be Crazy". MS could drop a roll of toilet paper on the AT and this blind, jewish crippled person from Africa could find it and try to return it to him.

mweinstone
05-01-2007, 06:48
trail days will not be fun. attention all missguided freaks. traildays has been changed into a work party. we will entrench the town all around and wait for invaders. that is all. good morning minnesota smith. yes you are a thru hiking slob. i saw you shoot a snot rocket into a trashcan. thats gross. rocketry is an outside sport. never launch near man made objects.dear sistah wit da blistah, you know you wanna ride me to the very doorknob of only wanderers house. you know it . dear marsha starlyte. i will require a fluffy cake from you. make two, im gonna have mouths to feed. dear lonewolf, i rented your house to some freaks from lancaster county. there gonna be slaughtering chickens in your tub and fryin them . dear mala, your not makeing strong enough coffie. you should have started boiling allready. dear amazon woman, im gonna need your advise on how to not be a dork. dear ray. catch some mice before you claim to be romanticly involved with one.then brag .dances with who? renee, you may bite me. if i missbehave. pinky toe only.nibble not bit.in a good way not a biting hurty way.dear miss janet. ill buy you a washing machine if youll wash out my evil side. dear stevem, ride me to trail days?

Dances with Mice
05-01-2007, 07:47
trail days will not be fun. attention all missguided freaks. traildays has been changed into a work party. we will entrench the town all around and wait for invaders. that is all. good morning minnesota smith. yes you are a thru hiking slob. i saw you shoot a snot rocket into a trashcan. thats gross. rocketry is an outside sport. never launch near man made objects.dear sistah wit da blistah, you know you wanna ride me to the very doorknob of only wanderers house. you know it . dear marsha starlyte. i will require a fluffy cake from you. make two, im gonna have mouths to feed. dear lonewolf, i rented your house to some freaks from lancaster county. there gonna be slaughtering chickens in your tub and fryin them . dear mala, your not makeing strong enough coffie. you should have started boiling allready. dear amazon woman, im gonna need your advise on how to not be a dork. dear ray. catch some mice before you claim to be romanticly involved with one.then brag .dances with who? renee, you may bite me. if i missbehave. pinky toe only.nibble not bit.in a good way not a biting hurty way.dear miss janet. ill buy you a washing machine if youll wash out my evil side. dear stevem, ride me to trail days?This is exactly why no Florida Gump thread will ever challenge a MS thread for longevity.

Alligator
05-01-2007, 07:58
Just the threat of needing six rolls of toilet paper will outbrown any bare assed antics from a sweetdingleberry.

Dances with Mice
05-01-2007, 08:22
This is exactly why no Florida Gump thread will ever challenge a MS thread for longevity.That, and the fact that it's more fun than a game of "Hangman" with Matthewski. But that's not what we've gathered here to talk about. What we need to discuss is MS' book rumours and his search for a biologically viable significant other and the great advances in medical science that may make the latter possible.

And the most important questions of the day, of course, are "10 Years??!!" and "Why are they wasting this stuff on monkeys and shrews?!" And if that doesn't ring any bells then you haven't been keeping up with the latest medical research on tongue-flicking and eyebrow raising. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6606927.stm)

Darwin again
05-01-2007, 08:41
The news is bad in re: the clip.
It's nowhere to be found on my hard drive.

But there's still half a chance I burned it to disk with some other pics...
The good news is that I found the two pics of the ark the Hollywood people built for the filming of Evan Almighty, which was going on at the time MS came through here. But close isn't good enough.

I'll keep searching.

Alligator
05-01-2007, 08:41
Why Matthewski is more fun than word scramble, jumble, and cryptogram put together:eek: ! But speaking of medical research, there's also work on a Viagra inhaler that may become available around the time that the Gonadotrophin hits the market.

Skyline
05-01-2007, 09:05
MS is my Jesus Christ

He's my Exxonn

He's my Sanjaya.

Darwin again
05-01-2007, 09:35
Maybe this needs its own thread.
Could boost book sales, eh? :D
Any case, here it is.

Google Video (publically searchable):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5691133265388462694

(Posted with the assumed permission of MS, with allowances for matthewski's vagueness. I can take it offline at any time should MS request such, but it doesn't reflect badly on him. If anything, it only serves to bolster his legend...):banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-01-2007, 10:10
::: dino no longer blushes about size and weight of combo dino packs :::

SGT Rock
05-01-2007, 10:18
Not nearly as dramatic as I expected LOL.

Darwin again
05-01-2007, 10:34
Reality never lives up to the hype. ;)

Dances with Mice
05-01-2007, 10:46
I don't understand.

How did The Pack fit in that car? Did The Pack have a trailer hitch?

Darwin again
05-01-2007, 10:55
The trunk was full with just the pack in it.
Had trouble pulling it out, actually.

Few people know that MS's base weight is about 12 lbs. The illusion of the pack's enormous bulk is created by a supplemental Hindenburg-like plastic membrane filled with an unspecifiable hybrid mix of inert noble gasses.

Gray Blazer
05-01-2007, 11:03
The trunk was full with just the pack in it.
Had trouble pulling it out, actually.

Few people know that MS's base weight is about 12 lbs. The illusion of the pack's enormous bulk is created by a supplemental Hindenburg-like plastic membrane filled with an unspecifiable hybrid mix of inert noble gasses.

Would that be like flubber?

SGT Rock
05-01-2007, 11:24
minnesotta smith is the nutty proffessor?

Dances with Mice
05-01-2007, 11:35
It is no secret that the AT thru-hike was just a warm-up training hike for his next Big Adventure - a traverse of Alaska. The pack's size was carefully chosen to make MS appear larger than any Alaskan bruins he might encounter. Grizzlies would feel intimidated and run away.

Let's hope that any bears he encounters are patient and will allow him time to put on his pack before they attack.

Skyline
05-01-2007, 11:39
minnesotta smith is the nutty proffessor?

a/k/a The Son of Flubber

Skidsteer
05-01-2007, 18:10
That, and the fact that it's more fun than a game of "Hangman" with Matthewski. But that's not what we've gathered here to talk about. What we need to discuss is MS' book rumours and his search for a biologically viable significant other and the great advances in medical science that may make the latter possible.

And the most important questions of the day, of course, are "10 Years??!!" and "Why are they wasting this stuff on monkeys and shrews?!" And if that doesn't ring any bells then you haven't been keeping up with the latest medical research on tongue-flicking and eyebrow raising. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6606927.stm)

Hm. Boosts sex drive and suppresses appetite.

Sounds like the antidote for ****.(starts with a 'b', ends with an 'e'; 'ob' in the middle:rolleyes: .)

Mother's Finest
05-01-2007, 20:44
that was simply tremendous. the way the cameraman circle MS in the beginning, also quickly and rather difficult to hear he asked his name. then smith dons the pack and struggles forward, while bent over.....the whole thing was rather pornographic in a very humorous way.

the best was the end when MS smiled and said he was doing it the heavy way.

i think that was classic and it will always make me chuckle.

peace
mf

Dances with Mice
05-01-2007, 21:22
that was simply tremendous. the way the cameraman circle MS in the beginning, also quickly and rather difficult to hear he asked his name. then smith dons the pack and struggles forward, while bent over.....But as Darwin said at the time (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13082&page=22)(post #431) and the film clip proves, MS is a stand-up guy.

T-Dubs
05-01-2007, 21:30
That's 2:22 of my life I'd like to have back.
I think the most impressive thing about the video is that excellent walking stick he's got with him.

Tom

STEVEM
05-02-2007, 00:43
Selling steam control valves in the middle of Summer in New Jersey can be slow work. Occasionally the boss will throw in the towel early on a Friday and let everyone leave at noon. I met the legendary Minnesota Smith of one of those slow Fridays.

On my way home I decided to stop at a little butcher shop and pick-up some ground sirloin for dinner. I then decide to take the long way home through Stokes State Forest. Just after the turn where the AT crosses Route 206 the car in front of me hits a rock in the road. I swerve slightly to avoid the rock then take a quick look in my mirror to discover that the rock was actually a turtle.

I turned quickly into the AT parking lot and see a hiker sitting on the ground still strapped into his giant pack having a snack. I drove past him and went back to check on the turtle. The turtle, completely uninjured was on his back still spinning with all four feet running as fast as they could. I put the turtle in my car and went back to the parking lot to meet the hiker who I was sure was MS based photos I had seen here.

I approach the hiker, turtle in hand and ask: Are you the legendary Minnesota Smith? He was quite shocked to be recognized by a complete stranger carrying a turtle.

After a brief conversation it began to thunder and sprinkle so I offered MS the use of my computer and a ride to the store which he accepted. MS, still strapped into his pack, struggled to his feet exactly as shown in Darwins video. That sight and Darwins film still remind me of that little turtle spinning around on his back.

So MS and I spend the day posting to WB, and talking trail. I later took him to the store then back to the trail.

On the way back from dropping off MS my wife calls frantically on my cell wanting to know if I was ok. It seems that my daughter reported that I came home from work early with a bag of hamburger, a turtle and a stinky stranger. She also reported that the stranger used the computer all afternoon, drank four cans of soda, used the bathroom six times, talked like one of her professors and told her what books she should read. My daughter, being a nursing student, was thinking that he dad had gone totally nuts.

I assured my wife that I was fine and that the stranger was a hiker friend, the hamburger was supper and that the turtle was a replacement pet for her cat that had died a few weeks prior.

Heater
05-02-2007, 02:42
But as Darwin said at the time (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13082&page=22)(post #431) and the film clip proves, MS is a stand-up guy.

Oh, boooooooo, boooooooooooooooooooo.

http://www.punpunpun.com/

Ouch.

Alligator
05-02-2007, 07:41
But as Darwin said at the time (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13082&page=22)(post #431) and the film clip proves, MS is a stand-up guy.That link was a little off. It suggests that The Thread needs a proper referencing system. Page numbers will not do, as they depend on browser settings. Perhaps:
06/08/2006 19:31, VOL I:431

Gray Blazer
05-02-2007, 07:43
the best was the end when MS smiled and said he was doing it the heavy way.

i think that was classic and it will always make me chuckle.

peace
mf

Could another possible title be "He Ain't Heavy, He's Minnesota Smith". Stevem, That was a good story. MS, I hope you appreciate all this pub you're getting. Remember, any publicity is good publicity.;)

Dances with Mice
05-02-2007, 09:13
That link was a little off. It suggests that The Thread needs a proper referencing system. Page numbers will not do, as they depend on browser settings. Perhaps:
06/08/2006 19:31, VOL I:431Does this (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=208390&postcount=431) work better?

Alligator
05-02-2007, 09:20
Does this (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=208390&postcount=431) work better?That works for general use. However, I was looking to the future when The Thread is referenced in scholarly works.

Dances with Mice
05-02-2007, 09:25
That works for general use. However, I was looking to the future when The Thread is referenced in scholarly works.Scholarly? Maybe.

I was thinking theological.

Alligator
05-02-2007, 09:29
Scholarly? Maybe.

I was thinking theological.His neck garb does have a sort of monkish quality. Coupled with that staff you gave him and that faraway look to his eye:dance .

Skidsteer
05-02-2007, 19:30
Scholarly? Maybe.

I was thinking theological.

Well....................Six rolls of toilet paper?

I was thinking scatological.

mweinstone
05-02-2007, 20:27
i envision an award. an award so coveted. so reveared. so fought over, that it surpasses even jesters prize box. witch is as few know, cool . this award would be givin as the minnesota smith achievment award to each years most unlikely finisher. the award would rally weirdos and scientists and weirdo scientists from the shame of sub mile milage. paces would increase, unlikelys would hang in there . all for a shot at the paper. thats what it would be known as. the paper. in fact,.. a solid gold roll of tp in bling bling form, worn exactly one year and handed to the next recipient at a special doyal night at the doyal.

Heater
05-03-2007, 00:22
Well....................Six rolls of toilet paper?

I was thinking scatological.

We need to get Cheryl Crowe as grand poop-ba of the AT.

Dances with Mice
05-03-2007, 12:43
i envision an award. ... a solid gold roll of tp in bling bling form,...I love that idea. But promise you'll check in here with us before you take it out to have it engraved, ok?

STEVEM
05-03-2007, 15:20
DWM, You shouldn't forget The Stick. The Smith Dogwood is certainly worthy of recognition. http://www.historictrees.org/ht_m/natreg_co.htm

I can see it now. Seeds, tee shirts, photos next to The Tree, post cards of MS and the stick, pony rides, leaves preserved in clear acrylic, RV park, snack bar.

Theres a fortune to be made. Your backyard could be the next Graceland, or maybe Neverland.

Alligator
05-03-2007, 15:27
We should create rooted cuttings from The Tree and pass them out on Arbor Day.

Dances with Mice
05-03-2007, 17:17
A bit after his hike MS came to visit and brought The Stick. It had certainly aged and was weathered, cracked, and noticeably shorter than when it left. It's now retired. We roamed the property and came up with a few new dogwood staffs (Sons of Stick?) and a couple other varieties that were inconveniently growing beneath my electrical lines. He should have enough hiking staffs to last awhile.

The Stick hadn't had a chance to properly cure before it was stripped and cut into shape. The new staffs should have a good chance to dry before they are put into service.

mweinstone
05-03-2007, 17:23
to whom the vulture doth circle, yet shall rise.

Dances with Mice
05-04-2007, 11:12
to whom the vulture doth circle, yet shall rise.That's good. It's perfect. So good it's scarey.

Are you gong to Trail Days? I'm afraid I won't be able to make it. There's another festival at the same time where, once again, I've been asked to be the featured dancer (http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/waiwai/news/20070503p2g00m0dm032000c.html).

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-04-2007, 12:26
::: xx's out TD on calender and prepares video camera for festival DWM is attending ::::

mweinstone
05-07-2007, 16:42
found my nearly beloved thread back on the 7th page in the lost thread department. some wino was checking it out. he was gonna hijack it im pritty sure.cant leave threads laying about now. maby ill go to trail days as dances with mice. hmmmm..........id need a bella lagosi costume to start. then with a little work,....hmmmm.......

Dances with Mice
05-07-2007, 19:31
found my nearly beloved thread back on the 7th page in the lost thread department. some wino was checking it out. he was gonna hijack it im pritty sure.cant leave threads laying about now. maby ill go to trail days as dances with mice. hmmmm..........id need a bella lagosi costume to start. then with a little work,....hmmmm.......I'd be honored. But to successfully pull off the illusion you'd need to start eating a lot more.

DavidNH
05-07-2007, 21:37
So.. just out of curiosity...

just what is it about Minnesota Smith that has caused SO MUCH interest that this thread about him that started what a year ago? is stillllll going?

David

Nightwalker
05-07-2007, 22:00
So.. just out of curiosity...

just what is it about Minnesota Smith that has caused SO MUCH interest that this thread about him that started what a year ago? is stillllll going?

David

Different thread. THE thread, actually. But the answer is not Smith. It is our much-beloved Matthew Weinstone.

mweinstone
05-08-2007, 11:42
minnesota smith embodys all that is an appalachian trail dream and quest. he started horribly overweight with flintstonion concepts of equiptment and barny rubblelike shortness of foresight. he loaded up and pushed off from springer with all maner of wear. thats weird gear, like a bear exstinguisher and canned water and 7 hats and 1000 rols of tp. he marched and marched and dropped gear and blub and attitude, and became a member of the inner comunity thru honest even if diferent simularitys we all share. love of hiking, love of the AT, love of the sport of backpacking. hes a campers camper and a hikers hiker. hes contraversial what with his opinions and weird sayings. and all has worked to gain him respect for doing what the majority of hikiers do,..be yourself.hes good at that. really good. even women, who he has certian veiws on, forgive him and accept his difference. because he has shown flexibility. and cause we accept difference and embrace it as a sociaty. and cause hes polite about his opinions that ,.. women over 27 are biologically insignifigant to him. stuff like that makes folks get together and blab. its all good. for my part, i lie about him and create rumors and fule the fires of weirdness. its what i do. for it is only from weirdness, that unweirdness can be born! whatever.

minnesotasmith
05-12-2007, 05:18

My thruhike last year was sufficiently public that I don't mind that getting out there as well. I have had a number of people tell me privately that my hike inspired them to think that they can attempt and complete a thruhike, that people not ultrafit under-30 gram weenies can succeed at an AT thruhike. I remain a bit amused about all the fit under-30s and gram weenies (some posting on this thread) that have yet to finish a thruhike, while I somehow managed it, with my starting gut and large pack... ;)

minnesotasmith
05-12-2007, 05:37
1) Had to miss Trail Days. Was not my preference, but my employer had other ideas. Am currently on an oil rig in the Rocky Mountains, far enough north that there is remnant snow visible on distant high peaks.

2) There indeed is a book, but it's not quite ready for Amazon.com. Working title: Heavy Hiking: How to Successfully Thruhike the Appalachian Trail With a Pack or Body Larger Than Average

3) I defy any normal person to read the (completed) chapter on "Funny Animal Stories of the Trail" and stay on their feet with all the laughing. The goose in love, the one-eyed bobcat, the skunk that almost nuked one guy's hike while at Baltimore Jack's, the time I got insulted by a bird while on the AT in N. VA, you name it, it's downright hilarious. Next trail get-together I make it to, I will happily do a reading from that chapter.

4) Have a girlfriend at present who has announced she would happily thruhike the AT with me. Jury is still out re whether that will come to pass. (She is substantially younger than me, faithful, heterosexual, with nice long hair, and is a native-born American Caucasian, for those who would predict otherwise.) I am not done with LD hiking, to be sure.

5) After seeing much of Wyoming and Colorado, I can see the allure of the CDT to LD hikers, even if shade and water are harder to come by than on the AT.

minnesotasmith
05-12-2007, 05:43
A bit after his hike MS came to visit and brought The Stick. It had certainly aged and was weathered, cracked, and noticeably shorter than when it left. It's now retired. We roamed the property and came up with a few new dogwood staffs (Sons of Stick?) and a couple other varieties that were inconveniently growing beneath my electrical lines. He should have enough hiking staffs to last awhile.

The Stick hadn't had a chance to properly cure before it was stripped and cut into shape. The new staffs should have a good chance to dry before they are put into service.

Am currently using one that is approximately 7' long for my training walks near the rig. It has a strap/pad/handle arrangement of the elegant design my generous and knowledgeable friend Dances instructed me in pre-thruhike (it seems such a long time ago...) I will post a pic of it when I get the chance.

mweinstone
05-12-2007, 05:47
hi bro! traildays? yes,..or no? for if its no,..then you blow. if its no, bothering to show, your face you know,...woulds still blow. for if its yes, we can rest. this traildays will have ms! ms! ms! ms do you hear? hes comming right now, hes quite damm near! women all scamper and men run and hide. for all who know of him, know he tryed, to preach to the world, i hate tie dyed. its hippy hes not, no dreadlocks he got. but we love him too and he, me and you.so if you see ms next week, bend over and spread some cheek. moon that bastard if you would. he deserves it, i think we should!

by a friend

Dances with Mice
05-12-2007, 07:27
Take care of business, Minnesota! Sounds like you're on a good path.

My adventure that I discussed with you is advancing slowly, but still looks like it's on track. I may be able to describe / announce it in the next few weeks.

I hear they just found a big oil field over there ...

mweinstone
05-12-2007, 08:12
he is a big oil field.

minnesotasmith
05-14-2007, 05:09
he is a big oil field.

I shower pretty much daily in the post-thruhike world, even out on rigs (where I am now).;)

mweinstone
05-14-2007, 06:24
i ment we could all be boiled down like whales hence were all big oil feilds.hey luke, im king midas for trail days. im takin a can of gold spraypaint, a burgrking crown and a latex glove. ill say,..give me a coin, and ill turn my back, spray it in my gloved hand, and return it ! cool?

Mother's Finest
05-14-2007, 17:30
Go Minnesota Smith. we need that oil......

Glad to hear things are going well for you brother.

peace
mf

mweinstone
05-14-2007, 17:34
do you mean thanks for the oil? lol!

minnesotasmith
05-16-2007, 14:37
Go Minnesota Smith. we need that oil......

Glad to hear things are going well for you brother.

peace
mf

Oil outlook that affects us all: http://www.dieoff.org/page224.htm

I crossed over the CDT en route to this rig 6 days ago. There were signs indicating the Continental Divide, but not the CDT. Wonder how much of the CDT in WY is still unmarked?

P.S. NE WY has rabbits like PA has rocks. A hunter with reasonable aim and adequate ammunition supplies could kill 20 an hour all day, day after day, and that's no joke.

Belgarion
05-31-2007, 11:01
Minnesota Smith wrote a freaking book about his hike on the AT?????? I met that freaking loser at Black Gap Shelter. He was a freaking nightmare. PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gray Blazer
05-31-2007, 11:04
Minnesota Smith wrote a freaking book about his hike on the AT?????? I met that freaking loser at Black Gap Shelter. He was a freaking nightmare. PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah and we're twisting your arm until you buy it.:D

Heater
05-31-2007, 11:35
Yeah and we're twisting your arm until you buy it.:D

Should be available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble soon. 10% of the proceeds will go to the AMC.

Jimmers
05-31-2007, 12:50
Should be available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble soon. 10% of the proceeds will go to the AMC.

Now that's funny.

minnesotasmith
05-31-2007, 14:12

The proceeds would of comparable form and delivery method as the USAF, USMC air, USN air, etc., delivered things to the Baathists in Iraq, Taliban in Afghanistan, etc.

Say, Belgarion, aren't you the whiny little guy with the cash flow issues who quit at Neels back in February the same time your older hiking buddy Lones Star bailed? I went on a bit further down the Trail, myself...

Heater
05-31-2007, 14:37
The proceeds would of comparable form and delivery method as the USAF, USMC air, USN air, etc., delivered things to the Baathists in Iraq, Taliban in Afghanistan, etc.

Say, Belgarion, aren't you the whiny little guy with the cash flow issues who quit at Neels back in February the same time your older hiking buddy Lones Star bailed? I went on a bit further down the Trail, myself...

Ouch!

So what did you learn from the trail ms?

Mother's Finest
05-31-2007, 15:29

I know you were kidding brother.....

peace
mf

The Old Fhart
05-31-2007, 15:40
MS[on giving some of the proceeds to the AMC]-"The proceeds would of comparable form and delivery method as the USAF, USMC air, USN air, etc., delivered things to the Baathists in Iraq, Taliban in Afghanistan, etc."Actually it would be like paying back a trail supporter for putting up with you and letting you stay there free. But then, common courtesy was never one of your strong points.:rolleyes:

Darwin again
05-31-2007, 21:45
Actually it would be like paying back a trail supporter for putting up with you and letting you stay there free. But then, common courtesy was never one of your strong points.:rolleyes:

I see mister sunshine, light and peace is back.:rolleyes:

mweinstone
06-01-2007, 06:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0PomAwjG18

viv of smitty on last 2 miles in glencliff finnishing his thruhike with me!

The Old Fhart
06-01-2007, 06:35
Darwin again-"I see mister sunshine, light and peace is back.:rolleyes: "I never left. Some others may have had a forced rehab and missed my posting though.....:D

Darwin again
06-01-2007, 07:50
I never left. Some others may have had a forced rehab and missed my posting though.....:D

Didn't miss you a bit, I'm sure.
It's good that they allow internet access at your "facility.";)

minnesotasmith
06-01-2007, 10:30
Ouch!

A partial list of answers to that question would have to include...

1) How interesting and unusual thruhikers are compared with John Q. Public. After all, it takes an anomalously high level of imagination to conclude that a thruhike of the AT is a reasonable endeavor; that makes thruhikers statistical outliers in many areas.

2) How good people many people are, and can be. The kindness I could never repay that I was repeatedly shown by many people along the 9 months, 6 days my thruhike took was humbly astounding to me. The approximately 7 people who put me up in their homes, the gifts of rides, food, water, maps, information, equipment, and just encouragement -- I had heard how the Trail could be for thruhikers, but had to see for myself to appreciate this, so unexpected in a large, busy country where the sense of community is more attenuated than not.

3) How often, and how strongly, the concept of a thruhike instantly stirred something as wordless as it was deep in nonthruhikers I met along the way. It was true for non-outdoorsy people as much as it was for fellow veteran LD-hikers who had long considered an AT thruhike, but just hadn't gotten to it yet. The "racial memory" of the idea of the QUEST still lives in many people, and they will respond to such when they see it in front of them, in the person of a forlorn, smelly aspiring thruhiker with his heavy, yet spare pack.

4) How LONG the Trail is. It went on, and on, and on, across 14 states, like driving 6 times between NW FL and Atlanta (where I know people in both places). I have been done with my thru for over 6 months now, but it would still feel more natural to be out trudging my way up a steep hill both rocky and muddy (NH and ME come to mind...), than to be back at work, or in any crowded public place. Perhaps it will always be that way, that I'd rather be on the AT than most anywhere else reasonably available to me.

5) How some odd-in-the-real-world behaviors become unremarked second nature. I can't walk past a flowing rain gutter without mentally pausing to begin computing how much water I'm carrying, how hydrated is my body, how hot the weather, how long to the next time I can expect to resupply on water, etc. I will likely squeeze air out of all ziploc bags when I close them for the rest of my life. Likewise, when I look at a backpack, sleeping bag, or tent online or in a store, I look at the weight no later than second among criteria, long before I even think about price. Works wells, durable, lightweight, and high-priced is likely to be a good deal; miss any of those, especially being heavy, and it's a bad deal even if free.

6) How difficult some parts of the AT are, not really even qualifying as a trail, but rather only a route, or direction. The second half of NH and much of Maine are notorious for often being this way, but I saw numerous boulder fields in the South (one in VA was 3 miles long). Not until I hit the last 40% of PA did I hit anything as challenging as the hardest parts of northern MD, not a state I'd expect much out of.

7) How variable was quality of trail construction and maintenance, ranging from "they'd have to pave this and connect power and water to the shelters to significantly further improve things here" to areas that never were much of anything WRT being an actual trail at their peak, and have noticeably sadly been allowed to degrade from neglect over time back to near-bushwacking.

8) The way that some things I thought might irritate me (cell phones, pot smokers, trekking poles incessantly loudly clicking on rocks) turned out in practice to be nonissues for me. OTOH, then there were poorly-marked trail sections (how hard can it be to repaint blazes every year, or at least every 5 years? Too hard for some clubs.) and loose dogs, significantly worse concerns in reality than I had expected. After about the 10th time that some ignorant yahoo's loose mongrel tried to bite me with no warning or provocation (typically while the owner looked on, sociopathically unconcerned, other than that I might hurt their dog while defending myself), potentially ending my hike, someone who likes dogs he knows became, rationally, with no contradiction or apologeticness, in favor of bounties and shoot-on-sight policies on loose dogs on public land.

9) How some body aspects changed, while others did not. I slept as many as 14 hours straight at times when I was not short on sleep, getting the best sleep in 25 years. I was never really satisfied from eating, once my hiker appetite kicked in, even when my stomach was stuffed to bursting. Likewise, I was genuinely often tired enough that in the evenings I had to make myself eat rather than go to sleep the first instant I could do so at day's end. My strength at climbing hills increased dramatically over the course of my hike, as did my stamina in general. (I'd never once done 18 miles on foot as an adult past my teens, yet I did that THREE times on the AT, at age 45.) Yet, my strength for carrying my pack when heavy never improved much; it still hurt nearly as much to load it on when over 50# as much after 1600 miles as it did the first week. It WAS nice to watch the pound melt off the gut, though. I'd have been a stick by halfway thru the second lap of a yo-yo, had I done one.

9) How easy it usually was to dodge hiker-money traps, such as motels and overpriced food. The top exception was resupply towns with no hostels, no shelter north of town within 3 miles, only pricy motels to damage the finances. Memo to aspiring thruhikers: never go to one late in the day or in bad weather that makes hitching harder, unless you like night-hiking; I got to the first shelter after Troutville (?; the one with the Kroger and adjacent outfitter) at 1:50 A.M. partly due to this miscalculation. This concern makes Hanover and Gatlinburg risky, among other, would-be good hiker towns...

10) How helpful and hiker-friendly most outfitters were. Like how the hostel operators nearly always were, they understood thrus, and were universally inclined to be helpful in ways that didn't make them money.

11) How very wet the AT tended to be. Most of the Trail was a battle to keep gear, feet, and groin dry. Extreme measures aspiring to do this were unremarkable and not excessive.

12) The degree to which water was critical, commonly more so than was food I got in difficulties over not having enough food in me several times; I got dehydrated enough that I was in danger a few times, despite increasingly extreme measures in the worst areas (parts of PA and NJ, and most of NY). Without religious cameling-up, carrying at times (mainly NY in hot weather) up to FIVE liters of water, and trail angel water caches, I don't know how I could have made it through the driest parts of the AT during late summer.

13) How little clothing a dry hiker needs while still moving, even in the coldest weather. I typically hiked in snow in shorts, with legs bare between gaiters and short bottoms, with only a knit cap added to what clothing I would wear on the hottest days.

11) How the hostel operators nearly always were obviously not primarily motivated by money, but by love of the AT, and concern for, and interest in, hikers. Money was how they kept the doors open, nothing more.

12) How much there was to do in camp as a rule each night. It could be possible to spend three solid hours on camp chores and nonsocial/nonrecreational activities from arrival to first snore. I wanted nothing so much as to get in my sleeping bag for the night, once I had dinner down. This was why I usually did not carry a paperback to read with me on the Trail, with me an avid reader back in the world.

13) How a thruhike is literally a constant series of solving problems. I found myself becoming very matter-of-fact about harsh issues that arose during my hike.

I could go on, but I suspect this is a fair start of an answer to your question, my fellow hiker.

minnesotasmith
06-01-2007, 10:42
That Old F. potentially inspired:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1493324795294487670

:D

rafe
06-01-2007, 11:05
Re. MS's post #162: You're making way too much sense here, MS. I found (almost) nothing to disagree with*. Very strange. Thruhiker wannabes would do well to consider all these points. Very well done, if I say so myself.

[*Just one tiny quibble... I'm almost never irritated by pot smokers. :)]

minnesotasmith
06-01-2007, 11:26
Re. MS's post #162: You're making way too much sense here, MS. I found (almost) nothing to disagree with*. Very strange. Thruhiker wannabes would do well to consider all these points. Very well done, if I say so myself.

[*Just one tiny quibble... I'm almost never irritated by pot smokers. :)]

I was asked a serious question about an extremely memorable event in my life that happened only a few months ago. I remember that time very well, so throwing out tidbit after tidbit wasn't a challenge at all.

Re potsmokers, though... If they make you breathe their smoke, risking you flunking a drug test and losing your career, that would be a major issue. If part of their stash gets your car confiscated and/or you in legal trouble, again, that would again be wrong for them to inflict on nonusers. Other than that, potusers I figure are in their own h*ll, not my issue to criticize if I don't know them -- or to help them out of problems their voluntary choices inevitably lead them into.

John B
06-01-2007, 12:27
Post #162 is one of the most interesting I've read on WB.

mweinstone
06-01-2007, 22:33
breaking the law is good.

minnesotasmith
06-04-2007, 18:43
breaking the law is good.

Was I breaking the law by bringing booze into Baxter SP, or by "vandalizing" the sign atop Katahdin?

mweinstone
06-04-2007, 19:30
you were breaking a law of such greater concequence than you could have imagined. there are laws that affect us more than washington means to. laws of dress and speech and of eating and farting and burping. laws to keep free thinking down and laws to tell you what to fight for. i belive you broke law 47. law 47 clearly states that no person shall have the legal right to break any law under any circumstance if that law is stupid and the reason for breaking it, honorable. law 47 came into being after the mass brainwashing of the industrial age. even though law 47 is schedualed to be taken off the books in 2009, untill then, law 234 remains in effect.

law 234: no one shall do anything untill everyones doing it.

ed bell
06-04-2007, 21:06
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=368325&postcount=167 ...And to think that I never imagined Half Dome and Katahdin appearing in the same picture.:sun;)

T-Dubs
06-04-2007, 21:35
you were breaking a law of such greater concequence than you could have imagined. there are laws that affect us more than washington means to. laws of dress and speech and of eating and farting and burping. laws to keep free thinking down and laws to tell you what to fight for. i belive you broke law 47. law 47 clearly states that no person shall have the legal right to break any law under any circumstance if that law is stupid and the reason for breaking it, honorable. law 47 came into being after the mass brainwashing of the industrial age. even though law 47 is schedualed to be taken off the books in 2009, untill then, law 234 remains in effect.

law 234: no one shall do anything untill everyones doing it.

"Here at the Rock we have 2 rules.
#1--obey all rules.
#2--no writing on the walls as it's hard to get off"

(BP Fife)

Tom

grysmn
06-10-2007, 07:26
Mattheski how much hard time have you served? You act like an ex convict. You intimidate people like you are still in prision. You claim to work for a slum lord intimidating people behind on the rent. When in trouble with the law your slum lord puts you on the AT until things cool down and you can go back to Philly and intimidate more people.

Lone Wolf
06-10-2007, 07:28
how much dope do you smoke?

Nightwalker
06-10-2007, 15:24
Mattheski how much hard time have you served? You act like an ex convict. You intimidate people like you are still in prision. You claim to work for a slum lord intimidating people behind on the rent. When in trouble with the law your slum lord puts you on the AT until things cool down and you can go back to Philly and intimidate more people.

That's a new one on me. I guess I need to read more.

smokymtnsteve
06-10-2007, 16:20
how much dope do you smoke?

as much as possible;)

Dances with Mice
06-10-2007, 16:24
Mattheski how much hard time have you served? You act like an ex convict. You intimidate people like you are still in prision. Our Matthewski?!

He's almost as intimidating as a toy poodle.

They both even have the same hair but poodles spell better.

Nightwalker
06-10-2007, 16:37
as much as possible;)

That's a lot! Especially in Alaska...

Panzer1
06-10-2007, 17:14

You've got him all wrong, you know nothing about him..

Panzer

spittinpigeon
06-10-2007, 19:21
Matthewski can be very intimidating, he just uses it discreetly. One time he wanted me to intimidate him, but I refused, over the next two hours he practiced his subtle intimidation tactics until I succumed, and intimidated him, but that wasn't enough, so he continued to intimidate me until I intimidated him to his satisfaction. This whole process was so tiring for him, that's why he fell ill during trail days.

Nightwalker
06-10-2007, 19:30
Ouch!

How to degrade non-thrus? :eek:

mweinstone
06-10-2007, 22:03
cammo and stonewall were here visiting. stonewall goes to climb on mont blank friday . he shot my art last night . i just put the new pics on the website.hes a consumate pro photographer/artist/agent/manager/friend/hiker/climber! im really thanking god for him. this may be what my art needed. cammos bike is real nice and has the actual 4 speakers from the movie quadrapheenia. the song he took off into the sunset was,"reelin in the ease" i think. whats up with your bad self soda?

as far as my life of crime,...if houseing forigen national scientists and asylam seekers in my lexlutherlikelair in the sewers beneath my apt is wrong,.. then im very wrong. and if they choose to thank me by inventing zero point energy and tackion pulse generaters that dont hog up the main deflector dish,..so be it. and if Lt uhurah decides to stop by my quarters after her watch for some swahilli tea,.........ill stop now.

Trillium
06-10-2007, 22:22
Matt, I hope I have the pleasure of meeting you someday.

~ trillium ~

camojack
06-11-2007, 00:31
cammo and stonewall were here visiting. stonewall goes to climb on mont blank friday . he shot my art last night . i just put the new pics on the website.hes a consumate pro photographer/artist/agent/manager/friend/hiker/climber! im really thanking god for him. this may be what my art needed. cammos bike is real nice and has the actual 4 speakers from the movie quadrapheenia. the song he took off into the sunset was,"reelin in the ease" i think. whats up with your bad self soda?

Actually, it was The Eagles' "Peaceful, Easy Feeling"...but a lot of those letters coincide. :D

minnesotasmith
06-20-2007, 21:23
How to degrade non-thrus? :eek:

More like how not to take undeserved E. coli from someone who has not "walked the walk", when I have. I did not mention how I helped Belgarion out at Neels, waiting in vain to see if he brought it up out of a sense of even-handed fairness.
==================================================

Since it hasn't been mentioned in weeks, I figured it was time to (re) mention Robert Service's excellent poem "The Law of the Yukon", a copy of which I carried with me almost the whole AT for inspiration. Gave readings of it to groups about a dozen times along the way, including in AMC huts in the White.

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/781.html

================================================== =
Service's poem "The Men That Don't Fit In" is probably better-known amongst thruhikers, but I found it depressing.

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/bluffs/8336/robertservice/men.html

================================================== =

William Henley's "Invictus" would be fair reading for thruhikers in the worst of it IMO:

http://www.bartleby.com/103/7.html

================================================== ==

I recently discovered Edgar Guest's "It Couldn't Be Done". Here it is:

http://sofinesjoyfulmoments.com/quotes/couldnt.htm

It Couldn't Be Done
Edgar Guest

Somebody said that it couldn't be done,
But he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn't," but he would be one
Who wouldn't say so till he'd tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.

Somebody scoffed: "Oh, you'll never do that;
At least no one ever has done it";
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,
And the first thing we knew he'd begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
Without any doubting or quiddit,
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
There are thousands to prophesy failure;
There are thousands to point out to you, one by one,
The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,
Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start to sing as you tackle the thing
That "cannot be done," and you'll do it.
================================================== ============