PDA

View Full Version : Vapor Trail Suspension

smithobx
04-24-2007, 11:52
Because of some gear changes, I find myself carrying the full 30 pounds the GG Vapor Trail is rated for and like others , I have found you lose some comfort past 25 pounds with this pack. My qustion is, has anyone come up with a way to stiffen the frame of the pack a bit to increase it's comfort with heavier loads? I have just added a sheet of Xmart foam, the stiff kind, cut very snug, slid into the space between the pack body and the frame. This does seem to help, and seems to add to the stiffness of the frame, making it seem more comfortable at the 30 pound limit. Anyone else have any ideas, short of buying a Nimbus Ozone?

Footslogger
04-24-2007, 12:41
Anyone else have any ideas, short of buying a Nimbus Ozone?

====================================

Never did try that on my Vapor Trail. Focussed on getting the weight down to 26 lbs or less.

Sounds like it might be a reasonable solution though.

I went ahead with the Nimbus Ozone because I anticipate carrying loades in excess of 30lbs on the PCT.

'Slogger

mn-backpacker
04-24-2007, 12:45
If you use a rolled sleeping mat like the ridgerest, you could simply drop it in first and let it uncoil to push against the pack, and then pack your gear inside the roll. That's what GG recommends on some of their "framless" packs. Perhaps you've already tried that though.

rafe
04-24-2007, 16:14
Get the Nimbus Ozone. You won't be disappointed.

Miner
04-24-2007, 19:57
I have a Vapor Trail and using my ridge rest inside the pack to help stiffing it is the only idea I've ever had. But to be honest, the only time I tried it, I wasn't sure if it was really helping. If you see yourself regularly carrying 30lbs or more, you should just bite the bullet and get a new back.

I would recommend a ULA Circuit which, for the same weight, can carry 35lbs since it has a real suspension. If you need to carry 40lbs, then the Nimbus Ozone or the ULA Catalyst would be my choice.