PDA

View Full Version : Pack advice

Dancer
04-24-2007, 17:38
I am looking into getting a new pack and have been doing alot of store lurking and reading. My question is about packs designed for women. Is it a 'curves' thing or a size thing? Many of you met me at the SORUCK so you know I'm tall and large framed. Would a men's pack be just as good as long as I measured my torso and all that good stuff? In other words, is 'women's' fancy speak for petite?

Julie

Footslogger
04-24-2007, 17:48
Probably a better person to answer might be my wife ...but I would tell you that unless you are very petite, the main features that address womens needs are the shoulder straps/harness and hip belts.

The pack "bag" itself is more about capacity than gender.

For starters ...you need to know your "torso length", which is the distance from your hips (iliac crest) to your 7th cervical vertebra (big bump on the back of the neck). Once you know that you can begin shopping.

Next would be shoulder strap configuration. Some manufacturers make shoulder straps that are more "tapered" and curved to the side to avoid putting excess pressure on the breasts.

Last but not least is the hip belt. Try lots of them because they range a great deal in padding and comfort ...and some are removable so that if you like the pack you can customize the hip belt.

Hope that helps ...

'Slogger

peanuts
04-24-2007, 17:53
hi amazonwoman, packs, are relative when it come to woman who are rather plump. all i can say you need to try on as many packs for your torso lengh as possible and after that look into if hip and shoulder pads are removalbe and come in various sizes. to this day i stil have not found a pack that trully fits me:( i think gearskin and luxury packs might be the ticket. there are several threads talking about both packs. i hope this helps. good luck!!!

Smile
04-24-2007, 18:48
Good advice from Peanuts, go in and try a bunch on and remember to have them 'filled' at the outfitter, mine has bags of different weights that you stuff in - makes a world of difference before making the investment.

Have a great time, and I hope you find one that is just right for you! :)

Marta
04-24-2007, 20:09
If I were you, I'd go up to MRO in Damascus and have a pack fitted. They're probably the closest to you of the Big Three of AT outfitters--Neels Gap and Hot Springs being the homes of the other two shops which carry what AT hikers need. Trail Days is a premium opportunity to try on all sorts of stuff, and often to have it fitted by the "manufacturer"--if you can call the microbusinesses that make the special gear by that name.

Marta/Five-Leaf

LeeF
04-24-2007, 21:35
There are a couple of ladies working in the Raleigh and Cary REI's that have extensive hiking experience. If you are lucky enough to be there when they are working, they could help. I can't remember her name but the young lady with the long blonde hair who works in the Raleigh climbing section is extremely knowledgeable.

If you do go to Damascus and would like the most pleasant drive from pickle town, go to Boone and take 421 to Mtn City, TN and then 91 up to Damascus. I'll never drive I-77 to 58 or I-77 to I-81 routes again.

Dancer
04-26-2007, 16:46
Thanks guys. Good advice as always. See you out there.

Julie