Chicken Feathers
04-24-2007, 20:17
can anyone tell me which direction Hike Inn is located from Fontana Dam

squeeze
04-24-2007, 21:26
http://www.thehikeinn.netfirms.com/map.htm

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-25-2007, 03:39
Follow the signs on Highway 28 for Stecoah and Bryson City from Fontana Dam. Hike Inn is a small roadside motorlodge that has been converted to a hostel. It is on the left about 7 miles from the dam. Jeff and Nancy Hoch are wonderful.

Don't miss Jeff's arrowhead collection while you are there - it is well worth an hour or two of your time to see. And if you love picante, you have to try some of Nancy's - some of the best I've ever tasted.

tallfran
04-25-2007, 04:24
It is south of Fontana Dam. As I recall the trail passes nearest at Stecoah Gap. I was there on my birthday last year, and Nancy made brownies for me! And don't miss Catzilla...

SGT Rock
04-25-2007, 06:22
If your are northbound - hang a right off the trail. If you are sounthbound hang a left.

Fannypack
04-25-2007, 06:32
... Hike Inn is a small roadside motorlodge that has been converted to a hostel. ...
it is a hostel now? When was it converted to hostel?

I thought it was still a motel?!

Lone Wolf
04-25-2007, 07:11
Follow the signs on Highway 28 for Stecoah and Bryson City from Fontana Dam. Hike Inn is a small roadside motorlodge that has been converted to a hostel.

It's still a small roadside motorlodge. there is no hostel. it's $50 per night for a single room.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-25-2007, 09:26
For section hikers it is $40 for 1 or $50 for 2.

For Thru's and long-distance hikers it is $50 for 1 and $55 for two -- this includes doing laundry and being shuttled to Robbinsville for resupply / dinner and picked up & dropped off at Fontana Dam. The rooms are private with a private bath. All have coffee and most have kitchenettes.

jesse
04-25-2007, 09:45
just curious. why different rates for sectioniers vs thrus?

Lone Wolf
04-25-2007, 09:46
just curious. why different rates for sectioniers vs thrus?

yeah, really.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-25-2007, 09:55
Because sectioners don't have laundry privleges or get shuttled as part of the deal.

EWS
04-25-2007, 09:55
Is this stuff isn't included in the section hiker rate? "this includes doing laundry and being shuttled to Robbinsville for resupply / dinner and picked up & dropped off at Fontana Dam" Otherwise that is some major bullchit.

EWS
04-25-2007, 09:56
Beat me to it.

Lone Wolf
04-25-2007, 10:05
Because sectioners don't have laundry privleges or get shuttled as part of the deal.

so if i'm doing a section from springer to hot springs and i hitch in to the place i can get a room but no laundry or resupply shuttle? w t f?

Lone Wolf
04-25-2007, 10:19
so if i'm doing a section from springer to hot springs and i hitch in to the place i can get a room but no laundry or resupply shuttle? w t f?

oh, i forgot. thru-hikers are SOOO special.:rolleyes:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-25-2007, 11:05
I'm sure Jeff and Nancy would work with you if you hitched in :rolleyes:. They consider their facility a hostel - they cater to hikers.

I'm at a loss as to why y'all are expressing all the hostility toward a trail resource :-?. If you don't want to pay this amount for your stay, stay at the 'Hilton' - it has showers, flushing toliets and running water (with sinks to rinse out laundry) and is free. The Village has a coin laundry with a post office next door where you can get packages. There is a small store that has candy bars, chips and sodas.

gregdog
04-25-2007, 14:22
regardless of how the terms and fees are listed on the website, they will do anything they can for any hiker, good people.

bigcranky
04-25-2007, 14:40
The section hiker rates apply if you drive to the Hike Inn. They don't include the shuttle to Robbinsville or the laundry. (You have a car, remember?) If you *walk* into Fontana and you're *walking* out, then you are a long distance hiker, and you get the room, shuttle, and laundry for the LD hiker rate. The rates are different simply because they include different services.

I have used Jeff and Nancy's services many times as a section hiker, and like them a lot. They are not a hostel, and if a hiker doesn't want to pay for their services, said hiker can stay at the dam or at the Village. (Note that with gas prices creeping way up, providing that shuttle to Robbinsville gets more and more expensive.)

LW, you're way off base here. I don't want to speak for them, but from the stories they've told me, Jeff and Nancy are just as fed up with the 'entitled thru-hiker' attitude as anyone -- maybe even you.

digger51
04-25-2007, 17:19
If I remember correctly there is a pay phone at the dam only a mile or so after you cross 28 where you can call the inn and get picked up.

DavidNH
04-25-2007, 18:02
At the visitors center at Fontana dam there is a public pay phone Call the Hike Inn from there and they (jeff Hoch) will come and pick you up. Hopefully, you will have already made a reservation, at NOC for instance. The HIke Inn is often full.

The Inn is a pretty descent deal. In one price you get transportation to and from Fontana Dam, laundry, hotel, and shuttle into Robbinsville where you can eat dinner at re-supply at a super market.

David

Chicken Feathers
04-26-2007, 20:27
you are considered a long distance hiker talked to owners today

digger51
04-26-2007, 20:49
TallFran...aka Granny Franny? How did your hike go last year? This is AU. I cut out at Franklin, decided I wanted to get married and so spent the summer getting to know the spouselet better. You going to hike again?

tallfran
04-27-2007, 06:32
Hey digger! Are you married now, or is the wedding still pending? I got to Fontana Dam, yellow-blazed to Damascus for Trail Days, then hiked north out of Damascus. Got as far as Jennings Creek before I had to get off the Trail because I couldn't handle the hot weather. I'm going out for a couple of weeks this year (In about a week, in fact), and picking up part of the section of Tennessee/North Carolina I missed last year, and going to Trail Days again. You and your "spouslet" going to be at TD?

granny franny

See my trail journal at trailjournals.com under 2006 granny franny

digger51
04-27-2007, 15:22
Yep we got hitched in Oct. We won't be at TD, going to be camping and hiking in and near Death Valley and Sequoia Nat Park. Have fun at TD and your hike.

Nightwalker
04-27-2007, 16:52
oh, i forgot. thru-hikers are SOOO special.:rolleyes:

You're the one who said in another thread that them what's don't finish are candy-asses, a la Bryson. Mebbe I misunderstood? :D

(Maybe I'm remembering the wrong thread as well. But it was just in the last couple of days.)

Mongoose2
04-27-2007, 21:38
I agree, Jeff and Nancy are the best.....and so is their Salsa......

Mongoose