PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry Reservations GSMNP

Uncle Wayne
09-10-2003, 03:15
I called today to get my reservations for our section hike next month through the Smokies and was surprised by the amount of people using that section of the trail. We need to start at Clingmans in order to not miss a section. My reservation were for two people. Mt Collins was open Saturday but not Sunday. Ice Water Springs was full Monday but open Saturday and Sunday. All the rest of the shelters going North were open. The ranger wouldn't tell me how many were in each shelter, just if they had room for two. He did say we would have plenty of company along the trail that week. Any of you doing the section from Clingmans to Davenport Gap October 5th though 8th?

Rain Man
09-10-2003, 17:38
Originally posted by Uncle Wayne
I called today to get my reservations for our section hike next month through the Smokies and was surprised by the amount of people using that section of the trail. .... October 5th though 8th?

Perhaps it's people hoping to see the fall colors in the Smokeys? Just a guess.

In any event... have a great hike!!!

Rain Man

chris
09-11-2003, 10:20
I just made reservations at Derrick Knob for a week from tomorrow. It sounds like the park is fairly empty now. Last September, I saw almost no one on two 3 day trips. The weather is great, the people are away. Give it a shot if you have the time. I'll be along the AT between Spence Field and Silar Bald and around Shuckstack over the weekend of the 19th. Hoping for good weather on Rocky Top. I've never had more than 10 feet of visibility.