PDA

View Full Version : Place to stay Fontana Dam area?

BobbyNoel
04-24-2007, 20:20
I'd appreciate a recommendation for a place to stay in the Fontama Dam area. I'm starting a two week NOB AT walk mid May and would like to stay overnight where I might meet some other hikers. If it makes a difference in your suggestion, I'm 55, the price of the stay isn't important, it's the folks.

Thanks for your help,
Rob

Chicken Feathers
04-24-2007, 20:36
Bobby I would recommend Cloud9 Trout Farm in Hiawassee and Hike Inn at Fontana Dam Both places accept food shipments. Fontana is not good for purchasing food not very much to select from and very expensive. No go on Cloud9 the hostile closed May 9 but Hotel is open

orangebug
04-24-2007, 20:45
Hike Inn is very nice, assuming you are on a northward walk and not starting at Fontana. Otherwise, I'd suggest staying in Fontana Village in the Lodge, enjoy their AYCE breakfast buffet and head across the dam and into GMSP with a full belly and full pack from food purchased elsewhere.

Hike Inn will take you to better resupply if you are stopping midwalk. They will also pick you up pretty much where ever you ask. He offered me a ride near Cable Gap Shelter, but turned him down to push on to Fontana for a long afternoon's walk.

Mother Nature
04-24-2007, 20:56
I just stayed at Fontana Village Lodge last weekend. It is under new management and there was no AYCE anything anymore.

Smokestack and I ate in the dining room for breakfast and supper. Both delicious, very expensive and spartan serving sizes.

The village has been under new management. They are upgrading facilities and there a lot of changes.

If money isn't a problem, a room for two at hiker rate (you had to have a backpack) was $66. with taxes. Not the old $29.

MN

Appalachian Tater
04-24-2007, 21:45
If money isn't a problem, a room for two at hiker rate (you had to have a backpack) was $66. with taxes. Not the old $29.

MN

Was that the new rooms in the main building or the crappy rooms in the old building?

Unless the new management has made wide-reaching changes since 2006, I would avoid Fontana Dam Village completely and stay at one of the hostels or the "Hilton" near the dam itself.

I will say one of the new managers contacted me and apologized for some of the problems we had after reading a post I made here about some of the rudeness and problems we encountered. (Most of the employees were very nice.) But the problems we encountered were so severe, I would still not go back there.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-25-2007, 05:52
Fontana Village has changed -- and not for the better as far as hikers are concerned. I live fairly close to the Village and the developers vision is a cross between a mini-Gatlinburg and the golf resorts in the Highlands, NC area. (we really need a barfing smiley for this sort of discussion)

The Village has always been kind of iffy for hiker services and it is now catering 100% to tourists, not hikers. I'd suggest going to the Hike Inn and getting driven to Robbinsville for re-supply or doing a mail drop for Fontana and staying in the 'Hilton'. Going to the Village isn't worth the trip unless you need something from the outfitter - there just isn't anything there for hikers anymore.

mweinstone
04-25-2007, 06:26
me and dude drove fishermantom and spitten pigeon there cause nancy and jeff went out to dinner and we did magic on them gettin them a room but the staff was atrotiush towards dirty hikers. worst evil eye a hiker ever got. hike inn is heaven. they are my friends. go there for sure. they have the worlds best arrohead collection.

Lone Wolf
04-25-2007, 07:16
I'd appreciate a recommendation for a place to stay in the Fontama Dam area. I'm starting a two week NOB AT walk mid May and would like to stay overnight where I might meet some other hikers. If it makes a difference in your suggestion, I'm 55, the price of the stay isn't important, it's the folks.

Thanks for your help,
Rob

Stay at the Fontana Hilton shelter near the dam.

orangebug
04-25-2007, 07:58
Fontana Village is famous for inconsistency. It has been through more owners with great plans than Iraqi WMDs. They have big plans now due to changes in alcohol licensing laws there.

They have never been a great hiker friendly place, although they have marketed to other sports including roller bladers, MX bikers and the like. They have a post office for mail drops next to the laundramat.

I hope someone from Fontana Village pays some time reviewing these comments. Based on what I read about recent visits, I wouldn't recommend anything other than a brief visit for clean-up and mail drop. Maybe the next owners will recognize the benefits of marketing to a broaded eco-tourism audience.

Max Power
02-04-2008, 00:15
Fontana Village is famous for inconsistency. It has been through more owners with great plans than Iraqi WMDs. They have big plans now due to changes in alcohol licensing laws there.

They have never been a great hiker friendly place, although they have marketed to other sports including roller bladers, MX bikers and the like. They have a post office for mail drops next to the laundramat.

I hope someone from Fontana Village pays some time reviewing these comments. Based on what I read about recent visits, I wouldn't recommend anything other than a brief visit for clean-up and mail drop. Maybe the next owners will recognize the benefits of marketing to a broaded eco-tourism audience.
Prior to moving to Fontana I was on here a bit. Once moving here since internet is dial up it took me a while to get back on whiteblaze. Funny thing is that you, Orangebug, entered this post after our Hiyak Festival. Hiyak is a festival for hikers and kayakers and other outdoor enthusiast. Many of the things said in this post are very true and others are wrong. The new owners actually have the hikers in mind and do not want a mini gatlinburg. I hope you can see the changes in the resort and be patient with us to make more positive one for hikers. I took the job hoping to make some positive relations with you all. Hopefully those who have had you can come back and see the changes. Try our Hiyak Festival this year: April 18 - 20.

orangebug
02-04-2008, 00:35
I just might.

I vacationed at FV as a kid and visited a few times in late 60's early 70's during college. My last hike through there was a few years ago, not during the latest management.

This is an area with historical, cultural and recreational interest for a lot of people. Something like the SORUCK would be a nice addition for FV if SORUCK continues to grow. And having alcohol available should just enhance the attractiveness of FV.

Max Power
02-04-2008, 00:51
You're telling me. I spoke with Sly before 06's soruck in hopes of getting it in 2007. His biggest concern seemed to be kitchen. I think I could have the grill used for that... Spread the word we want the ruck here at FV!
Let me know if you come out. I guide hikes all around and know the history of the area. I could take you to some amazing places. I've started a hiking club to that goes out every Saturday.

P.S. The reason I came across this post was because I am researching negative Fontana posts here to turn into the GM of the resort to recommend areas we need to improve. When I came here in April of 05 I started my work by making a survey to take to Traildays to see what people like and disliked. I interviewed 100 thru hikers and came out with some great info... So I got your back and am doing exactly what you hoped for, "I hope someone from Fontana Village pays some time reviewing these comments." Hope to see you here.

Hikerhead
02-04-2008, 01:09
I've stayed there three times in the last couple of years and enjoyed all of them. I just wish the AYCE breakfast was still available on the last two visits.

Max Power
02-04-2008, 10:28
Glad you liked it. I keep pushing for AYCE, but don't think it will happen.

Wanted to clear up that when I say "grill" for the SoRuck. I mean the Mountain View Bistro Grill, not a grill.

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2008, 18:12
If you want to meet other hikers, you should probably stay at the Fontana Hilton shelter.

Be aware, tho, that by mid-May, nearly all of the Northbound thru-hikers will have been thru here by now.

If you really want to meet with, hang with, or hike with thru-hikers in May, Bob, you might want to think about a different section. In mid-May, the best place to find other A.T hikers is anywhere between Hot Springs, North Carolina, and Pearisburg VA.

Max Power
02-04-2008, 19:24
Hey Jack, it's Jerry the Fontana shuttler/podcast guy. You going to check out the Generale Store next time your around, or snob us again? ;-)

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2008, 19:31
I look forward to seeing you sometime in early April! :D

Thanx for everything you do for the hikers!!

(And I don't "snob" anyone; in recent years, I haven't spent much time in Fontana Village, but that's not cuz I have a problem with the place. It's just that I prefer to stay in the woods and have just had an expensive layover in Franklin a few days before getting to Fontana, and another one in Gatlinburg a few days later. One can't stay everywhere. But the folks in the Village are great and I think they treat hikers just fine).

Max Power
02-04-2008, 20:42
I look forward to seeing you sometime in early April! :D

Thanx for everything you do for the hikers!!

I'm just joking about the snob part. Thanks for the kind words.
I'm getting new equipment equipment for that podcast we spoke about. Hopefully I can retrieve your Whiteblaze plug. If not, we'll redo. Try to make it here April 18 - 20 for our Hiyak Festival. Shoot... Let's make your own program for the event. Something like, "The rants and raves of J.T."

Bare Bear
02-05-2008, 19:17
I have stayed at Fontana Village and when I went to the resturant and found no AYCE I spoke to the manager (2006) and they had one that night only. There were at least 30 hikers there so it paid off for everyone. I got the last room in the place so it was full up.
I haven't stayed at HIKE IN yet but plan to, I have only heard good things. Fontana Hilton is way too crowded for me in April.

maxNcathy
02-05-2008, 20:24
I stayed at Fontana Village Inn and it was great..Outfitter next door with some hiker foods and the Genaral store next door had enough hiker grub for me.The laundomat is right there too.

The room was luxurious and about $33 each when shared with another person.The food was good in the restaurant.