PDA

View Full Version : Back country permit in SNP

wallace
04-25-2007, 13:07
When filling out the paper work for a back country permit in SNP, what level of detail is needed for camping locations. For example, if I am going to hike the length of the park on the AT over a 8 day period, do I need to guess where I will be each evening?

jlb2012
04-25-2007, 13:16
give it a good guess but don't sweat it - especially if you don't camp at the huts - its only at the huts that you would get checked for location and even that is not common - more important is to not be carrying weapons

cannonball
04-25-2007, 13:17
Yes you do need to "guess" where you will be each night. The permit is a tag you wrap to your pack. it has a bunch of little boxes that you write in your destination for each night. Essentually you are leaving an itenerary as they keep a carbon copy at the rangers station.
I think its designed as a safety thing. oF COURSE ALL BETS ARE OFF IF YOU GET EATEN BY A BEAR OR gAYTOR GUMP RUBS HIS ASS AGAINST YOU.

Valmet
04-25-2007, 13:29
On 4 seperate occasions I have been found tenting off the trail and instructed to move to the location listed on my permit or face a stiff fine and a hike out of the park. This happened over a 8 year period and many many hikes not found. Never did they search my pack. Just pack it up and move or pack it out with a ticket. The Rangers were always nice about it I'm a low impact lone hiker, no fire etc.. so it kinda sucked from my view point. They were just doing their job.

Rain Man
04-25-2007, 21:05
I'm hiking the SNP in July and spoke with them earlier this month with that exact question. The lady said I didn't have to be exact, "just within a few miles" in case they needed to find me. For what that's worth. I always prefer to go to the horse's mouth.

Rain:sunMan

HIKERJEN
06-28-2009, 16:32
Got a question- what if you plan to stealth camp in SNP, and aren't really sure of your planned location ahead of time ? (for example, camping between shelter locations, and not in designated campsites). If you are flexible w/ your daily mileage, how can you know where you'll end up at night? Is it hard to stealth camp in SNP - do rangers give you hard time?

Peaks
06-28-2009, 17:29
Got a question- what if you plan to stealth camp in SNP, and aren't really sure of your planned location ahead of time ? (for example, camping between shelter locations, and not in designated campsites). If you are flexible w/ your daily mileage, how can you know where you'll end up at night? Is it hard to stealth camp in SNP - do rangers give you hard time?

If you are truely stealth, then the rangers aren't going to find you.

Cookerhiker
06-28-2009, 17:37

Just give it your best guess and follow the park rules about camping (which I was going to link for you but the SNP website is currently down) and you'll be OK.

BTW, welcome to WhiteBlaze Jen!

Blissful
06-28-2009, 19:53
I can say that rangers do patrol at road crossings - it is summer, so you need to have your permit on your pack. Just make a best guess and leave it at that. I have not yet witnessed a ranger go to a campsite and actually look at your permit to see if you are camping at the right place.

Stealth is only necessary if you plan to camp near parking areas, PATC cabins, campgrounds, waysides or lodges (which I do not recommend anyway as some have been busted for it and pay a heavy fine. I saw it happen)

notorius tic
06-28-2009, 20:23
:banana
Yes you do need to "guess" where you will be each night. The permit is a tag you wrap to your pack. it has a bunch of little boxes that you write in your destination for each night. Essentually you are leaving an itenerary as they keep a carbon copy at the rangers station.
I think its designed as a safety thing. oF COURSE ALL BETS ARE OFF IF YOU GET EATEN BY A BEAR OR gAYTOR GUMP RUBS HIS ASS AGAINST YOU.
He is a Good Guy he completed it. Well back to the Topic I stealthed an got ran of at a park with Tom B. Just pick your places Smartley.

HIKERJEN
06-28-2009, 21:01
What I'm really wondering, is if you're following the backcountry rules (ex. not too close to roads, streams, bldgs. etc., as determined by SNP authorities ), do the rangers leave you alone ? Are the campsites on blue blaze trails available for thru-hikers? What if you change your mind about where you want to camp one evening, and you have your permit checked by a ranger? I would prefer to camp at a site w/o any other campers, hence my questions about backcountry camping.

Thanks for all your responses ! There is a wealth of info here!

HIKERJEN
06-28-2009, 21:42
I just found one of the answers to a ques. ! SNP's website has a printable permit application form you can mail in to obtain a permit. If you are hiking the AT through the park, you only need to provide# of miles you plan to hike each day- you don't have to provide planned campsites.

Skyline
06-28-2009, 22:35
Here is a link to SNP's backcountry regs:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm

In 2000, the Park liberalized, or at least clarified and made more consistent, its regs—and put in designated tentsites near all the overnight huts.

In my experience SNP Rangers do not venture into the backcountry to try to stir up trouble, and seldom hike into hut areas or primitive campsites without a defined reason. They will respond to complaints and look for allegedly "problem" hikers in the backcountry.

As far as the permits go, if you try your best to guesstimate where you will be each night that should suffice. I often define a zone, i.e., "...on the AT between Elkwallow and Hogback Mt." or "near the junction of Rose River and Hogcamp Branch."

In SNP, aside from designated campsites near overnight huts or sites in the commercial campgrounds, you can camp almost anywhere along the AT or venture east or west via blue blaze trails. The Park doesn't care if you're a thru-hiker, section hiker, weekender, etc. Just try to state your best intentions on the permit.

The places you cannot camp are outlined in the regs.

Skyline
06-28-2009, 22:38
On 4 seperate occasions I have been found tenting off the trail and instructed to move to the location listed on my permit or face a stiff fine and a hike out of the park. This happened over a 8 year period and many many hikes not found. Never did they search my pack. Just pack it up and move or pack it out with a ticket. The Rangers were always nice about it I'm a low impact lone hiker, no fire etc.. so it kinda sucked from my view point. They were just doing their job.

If you were camped in a legal (according to the regs) location, it is puzzling why you would be forced to move. Not saying it didn't / doesn't happen, just puzzled.

HIKERJEN
06-29-2009, 14:00
Thanks Skyline, you're info was really helpful!! I was worried about backcountry camping, because I've read some posts that made it seem like the rangers didn't like thru-hikers backcountry camping. I'll guesstimate my locations like you suggested, and be careful about following the rules as far as proximity to roads, bldgs. water sources, etc.