PDA

View Full Version : hike or hump?

mweinstone
04-25-2007, 18:01
given the oppurtunity to hike a thruhike, would you if your signifigant other asked you not to for a so so reason? saying no means your either wooped or agree with them. saying yes means you either have them wooped or cant help yourself. hike or hump? i say hike no matter what. save birth of baby or illness. YOU?

Matteroo
04-25-2007, 18:14
depends if you have already completed a thru hike or not. If you already have one, or lots of 'trips' under your belt, maybe defer to the request of someone you care about. putting it in black and white terms 'whipped'/agree / them 'whipped'/can't help yourself sets a dynamic thing (relationship) as something more pedantic than it really is.

what is a so so reason? because S/he misses you? financial? maybe s/he wants to do their own adventure? maybe s/he wants to do something together for x,y,z, duration instead of you doing your thing without them.

i say listen to your heart, no matter what. if you love the person, and really love them, a 'so-so' reason is more than enough reason not to-they don't need to give a reason other than say their feelings that they'd rather you not go. Your heart knows if you love someone, and knows if someone is holding you back from what it needs to achieve/where it needs to grow.

trlhiker
04-25-2007, 18:19
I wouldn't call agreeing not to go being whipped. It is called love and respect for their wishes no matter what the reason.

Matteroo
04-25-2007, 18:20
and I'd add, if there is strong love between people-even at the feelings of one person wishing the other would not go-if they recognize that their partner needs to hike/journey for self-development/growth, to be free inside themselves, then the partner staying home will have to make that difficult and selfless choice to support their mate's dream. That is, if the hike is really a deep-Self thing that needs/urns to be done-not just..entertainment and excitement away from 'boring' life or something. In that case, in my opinion, a so-so reason is as valid as saying 'hey i just wanna do this cause its fun and I can and its better than being around here'

mweinstone
04-25-2007, 18:24
bla bla bla whatever. oh,.. and those activly humphiking need not respond. we hate you.

jmcgarrahan
04-25-2007, 19:42
Whats the reason for wanting to thru, and whats the reason for wanting one not to? these are the questions that need to be answered. My husband is on his thru, it was a life long dream, I wanted him to go so he could live his dream, I wanted him not to go because I enjoy his company, and I want to thru hike with him. But only one of us at a time can leave life for 5-6 months. He wanted it more than I did, so he got it. I didn't ask him not to go because I love him enough to let him go.

ms doolittle
04-25-2007, 19:53
bla bla bla whatever. oh,.. and those activly humphiking need not respond. we hate you.
I'll second that. :p

Good answer, J. :)

Old Hillwalker
04-25-2007, 19:56
The more I think about this, the more I don't want to...But perseverance wins again. I can't give a cognizant answer because my three marriages failed partly due to my hiking obsession. First wife discovered that she was severely acrophobic, and was also unable to cross flowing water (hydrophobia?) My second wife told me often that I should have married a goat. Third one told me I was a goat;) Still looking for a hiking woman, but now I'm so old none will have me:p

Thanks for the memories Maddy

superman
04-25-2007, 20:30
Hillwalker,
I've been down a similar road. Then one day on my thru hike I met this little woman carrying a monster pack. I though it was a joke at first. She and I hiked out of the Grey More Friary together. She was in the lead and took us in the wrong direction. I didn't say anything and she said I was nice for not saying anything about it. I said don't worry...I won't mention it. Then latter on as we hiked she told me that she'd just finished a divorce. So I said to me "oh...another hard faced b----." So I figured I'd just make a remark and hike away from her. I said that her ex was a saint. I'm not sure if I was going to say more than that because she whacked me up beside my head so hard I went down to my knees. Come to find out I couldn't have hiked away from her if I wanted to...she can out hike me carrying a heavier pack any day of the week. After the Thru hike was over she and I started dating and we've lived together for years now.
Here's the epiphany...if you want a person to like a certain thing go where that sort of thing is done and meet someone who is already doing it.

Green Bean
04-25-2007, 20:50
I would definitly have to compromise if i ever fall in love with somebody because im tellin you right now the outdoors was love at first sight!! ~GB

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-25-2007, 21:28
Why would I ever be married to someone who didn't love hiking?

Jester2000
04-25-2007, 21:31
I wouldn't call agreeing not to go being whipped. It is called love and respect for their wishes no matter what the reason.

Spoken like someone who has been well and truly whipped.

EWS
04-25-2007, 22:27
I've been told I'm a selfish bastard by some women and believe it to an extent. If I want to do something I'm going to do it and I don't put my life on hold. I don't do coddling or women-sitting.

I've been lucky enough to have found two women who understood that and many more who don't. The first had severe mental heath issues, which she refused to continue to take medication for, and I couldn't deal with them/her any longer. The second gave me all the freedom in the world and I almost completely screwed it up. After a year's hiatius we started heading back down the path together.

Jeaulous, needy, and insecure women and I do not mix well to say the least.

HIKE!

mweinstone
04-26-2007, 07:18
my dream is to suffer a horrible accedent that leaves me uninterested in sex so i can pursu spiritual paths.

rippleys pp231

Gray Blazer
04-26-2007, 07:22
my dream is to suffer a horrible accedent that leaves me uninterested in sex so i can pursu spiritual paths.

rippleys pp231
When I want to rid sex from my mind, I picture.....Rosie O'Donnel. Talk about the view. BTW, I wear the pants in my family (at least when we go outdoors).

camojack
04-26-2007, 07:31

...but I don't think you really want that. :eek:

mweinstone
04-26-2007, 07:33
my dream is to wake up to find this has been a dream and in the real world im married to treegirl and jesters our ohcy coochy baby in swadeling somethings or others. and froline dino is granny and kinnikinnik is my rich aunt and lone wolfs in prison for demonstrating at a rally to legalize shelter arson. and cammo jack weighs 4000 lbs and rides a tric with a sidecart with cammi in it and baltimore jack tarlin is cheif editor of the new yourk times and where larry the only wanderer is mayer and sheriff of damascus and bob peoples is a famouse new muppet charicture. and miss janet owns venezuwala, and the jolly green giant is the cop who replaced barny fife in erwin and in witch i am pirate.

Gray Blazer
04-26-2007, 08:22
Matt, you and Martin Luther King, Jr have something in common.

Dances with Mice
04-26-2007, 08:26
my dream is to suffer a horrible accedent that leaves me uninterested in sex so i can pursu spiritual paths.It's called 'marriage'.

Gray Blazer
04-26-2007, 09:23
It's called 'marriage'.

Sleepin' in the doghouse tonight?:rolleyes:

superman
04-26-2007, 10:10
"That’s called marriage."
Golly gee, what a beautiful way of saying it....Mr. Subtle. LOL, too true though.

STEVEM
04-26-2007, 11:18
Matt, you and Martin Luther King, Jr have something in common.

Great oration?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-26-2007, 11:26
:::: dino prepares to spoil the wee little Jester rotten ::::

To those fellows who aren't married - look for a mate that either wants to do what you do or has her own goals and dreams to pursue while you are on the trail.

Gray Blazer
04-26-2007, 11:35
Great oration?
That's one thing. I was thinking they both had a dream.

Jester2000
04-26-2007, 17:34
That's one thing. I was thinking they both had a dream.

And a 'fro.

To those fellows who aren't married - look for a mate that either wants to do what you do or has her own goals and dreams to pursue while you are on the trail.

Plus make sure that one of her goals and dreams isn't to screw around as much as possible while you're gone.

mweinstone
04-26-2007, 17:52
dances words go for twice the normal selling price on ebay. even used and old, there great. his writtings incorporate lonewolfs 12 word glossery with jesters wit and humor. throw in rays intimidating height, and what you have is a very big wolf , alone with mice. scary yet exhilerating. i like that!

mweinstone
04-26-2007, 17:54
after 8 years of no humpy humpy,... homer want beer.

mweinstone
04-26-2007, 17:58
wanna start a thread " how long since you did it?" go ahead, ill be the only loner looser lost lunk loudly laughing laboriously long. cause the short timmers would cry all night long. im in for 10 to 20 fer bein weird and lovin jesus too much and givin money to people who women ive known disaprove of.

Gray Blazer
04-26-2007, 21:41
Last night and, hopefully, tonight. It's good to be married!

Programbo
04-26-2007, 22:18

Why dream?...Since you live in Philly all you have to do is call Doctor Spector...For $2000 he`ll make a little snip here and a little snip there and 30 minutes later you`ll be free of your sexual interest forever ;) .....Or else simply order some Spironolactone and take about 200mg a day.

But after being married 3 times and each time getting out because I couldn`t do what I wanted when I wanted I figured I`m to selfish or lazy or whatever..So now I do what I want when I want