PDA

View Full Version : Road approach to Springer

mechengr
04-25-2007, 20:46
What is the condition of the forest service roads that lead to within 0.9 mile of Springer? In particular, USFS 42 and USFS 58. Does it require a four-wheel drive vehicle? Thanks

Skidsteer
04-25-2007, 21:08
What is the condition of the forest service roads that lead to within 0.9 mile of Springer? In particular, USFS 42 and USFS 58. Does it require a four-wheel drive vehicle? Thanks

No.

Well, sometimes in the winter or after bad hurricanes.

warren doyle
04-25-2007, 22:52
USFS 58 is presently closed about 3 miles west of the Three Forks trail crossing (due to a wash-out many months ago) so you cannot access the Springer Mt. parking lot on USFS 42 by using this road. However, USFS 42 is passable by passenger car from the west (6.5 miles of gravel road). Drove up it twice in March.

mechengr
05-03-2007, 22:55
Thanks for the information. Is there a parking lot to leave a vehicle at this location? Planning a hike next week from springer to winfield scott state park.

Skidsteer
05-03-2007, 23:00
Thanks for the information. Is there a parking lot to leave a vehicle at this location? Planning a hike next week from springer to winfield scott state park.

Yes, there is a parking lot.

Have a good hike!

mechengr
05-15-2007, 21:47
Shuttle service worked well. The hike went very well and the weather sort of cooperated. Two of the days we were chased by lightening to the shelters. Already planning the next section hike for early September.

Wonder
05-16-2007, 10:38
Try riding that road with Bfitz driving....won't seem so safe

Bruce Hudson
05-20-2007, 13:58
I'm planning my first AT experience this summer as soon as school is out. (I'm a teacher.) Just because it seems to make sense to began at the beginning, I'm planning to start from Springer.

It appears that a lot of people start from Amicalola Falls State park as opposed driving directly into Springer. However, from these posts it appears that there's no reason not to drive directly to Springer. Am I missing something?

Bruce Hudson
Raleigh, NC
[email protected]

max patch
05-20-2007, 14:19
It appears that a lot of people start from Amicalola Falls State park as opposed driving directly into Springer. However, from these posts it appears that there's no reason not to drive directly to Springer. Am I missing something?

I've hiked the GA AT for 30 years and have had no problems with vandalism.

However, having said that, leaving your car at ASP would be "safer" then leaving it at the Springer parking area.

Touch of Grey
05-20-2007, 14:23
Bruce, the Approach trail from Amicalola is 8.9 miles long and most people make it as far as the Hike Inn and quit there. These are mostly people who are not ready, carry to much weight and died during the climb up the falls.

Going to the USFS 42 parking lot and hiking the 9/10 of a mile to Springer is a better way to go. It still is a unique climb because you will gain 300 feet of elevation in that .9 miles.

Technically unless you really want to be one of the 'true purists' there is no real reason at least in my mind to do the approach trail. During the course of sany hike along the AT you will not only do the 'official miles', you will also do a few extra miles getting water at water stops (usually downhill both ways, there and back) taking blue blazes to see things like the Springer Shelter or Three Forks or walking off to dig a 'cat hole' and use it.

So the long and short of it is that if you really feel you need to do the approach then go for it. I personally won't hold it against you one way or the whether or not you do it or not. I did not do it back in March when I started from Springer and I do not regret not doing it.

TOG

Grinder
05-20-2007, 14:47
About getting to the Springer Parking lot:

My mapware routed me through Nimblewill Church Road, etc, from East of Amlicola.

I just learned of what I believe to be a vastly superior route.

I personally took this route at the end of my section hike when leaving.

Starting at Ga Highway 52 intersection with highway 15/515, north of Elijay.
Travel 6.8 miles east on hwy 52
Turn north on Roy Road, follow Roy to end (8.2 miles)
Turn right onto Doublehead Gap road.
In 2.2 miles, You come to FS42,
Right turn. Gravel road starts here.
6.5 miles to the Springer parking lot.

The road is wider, the turns gentler the bumps fewer.
Hope this helps someone
Tom

max patch
05-20-2007, 15:58
Bruce, the Approach trail from Amicalola is 8.9 miles long and most people make it as far as the Hike Inn and quit there.

Not true at all.

max patch
05-20-2007, 16:00
About getting to the Springer Parking lot:

Yes. Of all the ways to get to the Springer lot on 42 the Elijay approach is the best.

teachergal
05-21-2007, 21:13
My dad and I were on Springer in July about 5 years ago - we drove us FS 42 in his Jeep Grand Cheeroke. On the way back down we found some ripe blackberries and dad drove right up to them and I was able to harvest some right from the car window! It was better than the Micky D's Drive Through!

Also, there was a car in the parking lot with VA plates and PATC stickers on it. Turns out that car belonged to a PATC overseer, Pete Busher, who was thru hiking. Tragically, he died from exposure in the Whites. Shortly after his death I took over his trail section (AT in SNP from Compton Gap, SD, to "Possums Rest" - and 2 miles - flat!), however I realized quickly that it was way too much for me to handle and I gave it up.

Enjoy your trip to Springer!

bobbyray
05-21-2007, 21:54
I live 3 miles from Amicalola Falls SP and approximately 12 miles from Springer Mtn and am on my second thru-hike of Georgia. Yet, until yesterday, I had never hiked the entire AT Approach or Len Foote Inn Trails. Starting at the upper parking lot, it's approximately 17.1 miles to Springer up the Approach Trail and back via the Len Foote Inn Trail. It was well worth the effort.

The Len Foote Inn Trail was particularly impressive. It's obvious that the DNR is playing to the politicians and tourists, however, because the trail is so well marked and groomed. Hey, whatever it takes to get the idiots in Atlanta to fund the park system is fine by me! Whatever. Don't pass up either of the trails, if you get the opportunity to hike them.

briarpatch
05-21-2007, 22:33
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the comments on the Hike Inn Trail. I'll pass your comments along to the team that maintains it. The GATC maintains it, not the DNR. The GATC has the 76 miles of AT in GA, plus about 36 miles of side trails and the Approach Trail. The trail to the Hike Inn is one of the side trails that we maintain.

Thanks again for the kind words.