PDA

View Full Version : Lowe Alpine Contour bottle pockets?

TomScanlan
04-26-2007, 17:45
Geeze... (that's the prep for heavy pack comments about to rain down) I've had this Lowe Alpine Contour 60+15 for a few months and have had it out for about 7 days. I like it even though it weighs a bit much in comparison to some of yall's packs.

My one complaint are these "tuck away bottle pockets". The are mesh pockets with an elastic cord around the neck. At the end of the cord is an open plastic clip that is supposed to keep the pocket upright and within reach while carrying the pack. Maybe I'm a slow-minded-lug, but these clips don't seem to hang on tight; the open clip allows them to jump off the hook point. They tend to release from what I think are the proper connection points, letting my water dangle just out of reach. When connected, the pockets are just reachable if you don't mind a cramp and a minute of fussing to get the bottle back in.

For anyone out there with a similar problem; am I doing something wrong, or was this just bad design?

1azarus
04-26-2007, 18:26
well, i just don't think those pockets are a good place to keep water, anyway... and i'm not too fond of the water bladder either, since you never know how much water you have left, and need to take your pack off to get more water. here's a thought i saw somewhere else on the internet, and has worked spectacularly well for me. i suggest you consider putting two elastic "band" loops through each of your shoulder straps, one above and one below each chest strap attachment point. knot them to make them the right size to hold a 3/4 liter gatorade bottle firmly-- try one of the plastic bottles with the horizontal ridges. this way you can carry 1 1/2 liters right where it's convenient, you always know how much water you have, and you can refill the bottles without taking your pack off. you can also keep an eye on your water to tell if it is freezing, and bottles that size are small and light enough for you to just tuck them in your jacket if they start to freeze. last advantage -- you move about three pounds of weight from your back to you front for better balance/wt distribution. by the way, i also have a lowe alpine (a different model, but...)-- if you leave the top home and cut off everything you don't use you'll be soooooo much happier with the weight, and it will still be a really comfortable pack. and good luck!!! NY NY? I'll be crossing your border going south into NJ next week or so.

TomScanlan
04-26-2007, 18:58
Maybe I'll snip off the existing pockets and move them to the shoulder straps. I like the pockets more than just a band like you suggest, as they can be a snack holder as well.

I actually like having the top. I have been known to actually use it as a fanny/day pack. I could see leaving it at home for short trips where I know I won't be ditching the big bag for a side trail.

yup... living in manhattan for the moment, though just sent out notice that I'm breaking my lease to start a MEGA trip on June 1. I'm headed out to Harriman park (between bear mountain and the jersey border) this weekend so maybe I'll see you. On the other hand, if you get in touch, I may be around and happy to hike a couple day stretch with you next week or so.