PDA

View Full Version : Worried about weight loss on a 30 day hike

TwoForty
04-26-2007, 19:03
I'll be doing a 30 day hike this summer and I am worried about losing too much weight or even worse, eating all my food and running out of energy. This will be on the PCT and I'll have townstops every 10 days or so.

I'm extremely skinny as it is right now and I have quite an appetite when hiking. Have any other skinny people here had an semi long distance experiences? How much did you eat? Did you run out of energy a lot?

On a side note, are there any snack foods that can beat a snickers bar for calories to weight ratio while still tasting good?

Photofanatic
04-27-2007, 06:39
Add a diet shake to each meal. Something like slimfast or another brand. These come in powder form and have the calories of a meal so it is like eating two meals at one sitting.
You can carry NIDO it is dehydrated whole milk so your shake won't taste like watered down icecream.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-27-2007, 07:10
Oz for oz, fat has the most calories (9 per gram for 5, 4 for carbs or protein). Add oil to your meals.

Ender
04-27-2007, 13:23
I started the AT at 140 and ended the trail at 155. Just eat lots in town, and pack out high calorie foods (like mac'n'cheese) for the trail. You'll be fine. A great lunch food that supplies tons of energy is flour tortillas with peanut butter and honey spead on them liberally. I usually eat two of those for lunch. Great for short, medium and long term energy.

Rain Man
04-27-2007, 16:22
You can carry NIDO it is dehydrated whole milk so your shake won't taste like watered down icecream.

NIDO? How come American grocery stores don't carry it? All they carry is non-fat instant milk, so far as I can tell.

Rain:sunMan

Ewker
04-27-2007, 16:30
NIDO? How come American grocery stores don't carry it? All they carry is non-fat instant milk, so far as I can tell.

Krogers carries it but expect to pay almost $ 2.00 more than at Wal Mart for the same size can

Nightwalker
04-27-2007, 16:41

They Carry it, Ray. Look in the ethnic or Mexican aisle. It is REALLY good stuff, too.