PDA

View Full Version : MSR Miniworks filter

rjridgely
04-27-2007, 10:13
Why don't i see the miniworks filter mentioned much on any of the threads? Extreemly durably, completly field maintainable without tools and impossible to clog to the 'can't use' state like paper filters.

and...

I use a dragonfly stove because it has been very very good to me. I see where some complain about it's 'noise factor'. I don't believe it is any louder than the trusted svea 123. I find most backcountry people louder and much more annoying sometimes.

and...

When i use a canister stove, it's a peak1 extreme. Very lightweight and uses an aluminum canister, which when empty & puctured with the provided key, can be recycled.

Footslogger
04-27-2007, 10:21
They've been mentioned ...along with many others.

Personally, I quit using mine years ago. Yes, they are "field cleanable" but they are relatively hard to pump and the ceramic filter clogs rapidly in turbid water.

Just my experience ...

'Slogger

DrewNC2005
04-29-2007, 11:01
I think they have been mentioned but maybe not much because of their weight. I have a gravity filter that works better than the miniworks (yes, I've had one) and it requires no pumping. It is also field maintainable with no tools required.

Additionally, I also carried the dragonfly. The noise didn't bother me but the weight did. If I remember correctly, it weighed over a pound. Then add another half pound or so for the fuel container and then the weight of the fuel. You're looking at almost 2 lbs. when it's all said and done. Is it durable? Yes. Are my homemade alcohol stoves durable? Yes. Do they do the same thing? Yes. Does one weigh a pound lighter? Yes. That is why I switched.