PDA

View Full Version : Week and a half, where to go?

summitnh
04-27-2007, 10:36
I have 11 days to hike somewhere great along the AT. Planning on the end of May or first of June. I would like to do a section of the AT. Where should I go? I have hiking most of NH already.

Thanks,
summitnh

Photofanatic
04-27-2007, 11:13
Do the Smokies

DawnTreader
04-27-2007, 11:59
hike the hundred miles from katahdin to Monson.. Hit up the Gulf Hagas Loop if you've got time..

Kerosene
04-27-2007, 12:42
You might also look at southern Virginia, perhaps centering around Roanoke (Tarjacket Hill, Cole Mountain, Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob), or covering Grayson Highlands north of Damascus. Easy access, high scenic concentration, nice smooth trail, re-supply options.

Moxie00
04-27-2007, 17:19
hike the hundred miles from katahdin to Monson.. Hit up the Gulf Hagas Loop if you've got time..
Exactly what my suggestion would be but not for May or even early June. Many maintainers are not able to get to their section until early June because of high water, dangerous water crossings, and usually major blow downs. By July 1, should be no problem except for water crossings which will still be high but at least not ice water. If you want to hike in Maine Andover to the Bigelows or even the Kennebec might be possible and beautiful and should take about 11 days. Some good side trips are available. You are taking a chance though in Maine before mid-June. That early, the Smokies are good. My choice would be Springer to Franklin, North Carolina in the late spring. Cold and wet in April when I hiked it, must be georgous by late May.

BlackCloud
04-30-2007, 08:43
You might also look at southern Virginia, perhaps centering around Roanoke (Tarjacket Hill, Cole Mountain, Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob), or covering Grayson Highlands north of Damascus. Easy access, high scenic concentration, nice smooth trail, re-supply options.

Roanoke is Central VA, and I 2nd the recommendation. You can put together a great 10 day hike anywhere from Pearisburg to Waynesboro and you couldn't go wrong....

canoehead
04-30-2007, 17:59
in 11 days you could hike all of MA/CT.

canoehead