PDA

View Full Version : Bug netting

HaddenLo
04-27-2007, 10:42
I just bought a Hut 1 Shelter from golite. How should i buy bug netting for it? Should i buy it by the yard and cut/sew it to the demensions I need or should I buy a premade one. Any good companies to purchase this stuff from?

superman
05-02-2007, 07:53
I wouldn't make it. There are plenty of nets pre-made on the market. We use a tarp and when the bugs are out we add a two person bug net that I tie to the high side poles. I don't bother tying the low side up unless it's hot and will be sleeping on top of the sleeping bag. Mostly, we hike in the spring and fall now so we don't bother with the netting too much.

fiddlehead
05-02-2007, 08:36
OWF out of Idaho or Quest out of FL i believe or Campmor sells no see um netting.
It's fairly easy to sew yourself or take it to a seamstress/tailor or upholstory shop or grandma?

Alligator
05-02-2007, 09:16
You can save weight by doing it yourself, especially if you only want the netting in certain places. I added a border to my Megalite (pyramid tent) using this netting (http://www.thru-hiker.com/MaterialDetail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MG151&subcat=ripstop).

hammock engineer
05-02-2007, 09:20
I made a couple small bugnet bivy's for my hammock. It wasn't hard at all to sew. OWF has the cheapest noseeum that I have found so far. You could either add a border to the shelter as gator suggests or make a tube with a drawstring that you lay inside. If you go that route I would make a way to hang it. That would make it more efficint and less clasterphobic.