PDA

View Full Version : Saddleback has been sold

TJ aka Teej
09-11-2003, 16:03
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/trailnews/index.html
Saddleback Ski Area Sold
The Saddleback ski area adjacent to the Appalachian Trail in western Maine — focus of one of the most prolonged and rancorous Trail-protection battles of the past quarter-century — has been sold to a retired University of Maine geology professor from Farmington and his family, according to newspapers in Maine. Archie "Bill" Perry, who owns several condominiums at the resort, closed this spring, said he bought about 8,000 acres of the state's second-highest mountain with one of the most striking panoramic views along the A.T. He said that he plans to restore the resort as an affordable family ski area, developing the bowl of the Horn, which is directly in the view of northbound hikers coming off the Saddleback summit. National Park Service officials and other A.T. management partners hope to develop healthy working relationships with the new neighbors.
background:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/protect/issues/saddleback.html

brian
09-11-2003, 16:45
Wow...i was there for a 12 day trip in early august...Saddleback and the horn (Saddleback Junior too!) Offer fantastic views. I hope this is not comprimised for future hikers (hopefully me)

Brian
Hopefully THru Hiker in 2013

Moon Monster
09-11-2003, 22:44
It would be an absolute shame if any development substantially alters views there. I had one of the best days of my thru-hike going north over Saddleback and the Horn. The views are incredible, akin to Franconia Range only without the dozens of dayhikers.

Weren't the Bigelows once at risk of ski resort development? How did that wind up not happening?

Peaks
09-12-2003, 08:05
Originally posted by Moon Monster

Weren't the Bigelows once at risk of ski resort development? How did that wind up not happening?

Big time. The plan was to "develop" them into a winter olympic complex. However, I believe that it may have been a ballot question that established the Bigelow Preserve. In any event, they are now protected for ever.

brian
09-12-2003, 23:29
The bigelows were added to the Maine State list of protected lands via a statewide vote, in which a margin of only 4000 people stopped the Bigelow range from being a major (possliby?!?) ski resort. Now, they will never be touched by developers:)

Brian
Hopefully Thru Hiker 2013

SGT Rock
09-13-2003, 09:49
How much trail is there left to protect now?

Mr. Clean
09-15-2003, 07:09
Not sure how much trail exactly needs to be protected, but there are some pieces left in Maine that need preservation. As far as Saddleback, the fellow says that he is only building one condo/hotel complex and that he wants to keep the area as is for the most part, for families to come and stay. He sounds like a good guy...I guess we'll find out.