PDA

View Full Version : Bill Bryson shirt question

attroll
04-27-2007, 12:31
I was going to have some shirts made up for Trail Days but I don't know if there is a copyright on the shirt. Does anyone know if there is a copyright on the "Bill Bryson is a Candy Ass" t-shirt?

Lone Wolf
04-27-2007, 12:54
I was going to have some shirts made up for Trail Days but I don't know if there is a copyright on the shirt. Does anyone know if there is a copyright on the "Bill Bryson is a Candy Ass" t-shirt?

why single out bryson? the shirt should read, "ANYBODY that didn't finish is a candy ass"

attroll
04-27-2007, 12:58
I figured it would be a good statement with the making of his movie on the AT this year from his book. Maybe if we all wore those T-shirts at Trails Days it would make a statement to the movie industry.

The Scribe
04-27-2007, 13:03
How about:

"Lone Wolf is the new lawman in town"

if the other is copyrighted.

Then copyright this one and make tons of money.

Alligator
04-27-2007, 13:09
How about
Front
"Lone Wolf thinks you're a candy ass."
Back
"Now Blue-blaze outta Damascus".

Jack Tarlin
04-27-2007, 13:22
There is only one of these shirts in existence that I know of.

And it WILL be at Trail Days. Assuming it still fits.

And no, the phrase isn't copyrighted.

Yet.

But 10% of all sales would be a classy gesture.

Your move! :D

spittinpigeon
04-27-2007, 14:02
There is only one of these shirts in existence that I know of.

And it WILL be at Trail Days. Assuming it still fits.

And no, the phrase isn't copyrighted.

Yet.

But 10% of all sales would be a classy gesture.

Your move! :D

Well, in music, a copyright exists as soon as the music is created/recorded. The same may hold true for your phrase. DEMAND ROYALTIES!

attroll
04-27-2007, 14:05
Well, in music, a copyright exists as soon as the music is created/recorded. The same may hold true for your phrase. DEMAND ROYALTIES!
I am corresponding with Jack about this right now since he was is the only one with one of these shirts.

jesse
04-27-2007, 14:14
Maybe if we all wore those T-shirts at Trails Days it would make a statement to the movie industry.
Bryson's books have sold into the millions. Hollywood is marketing to those people. I don't think they care what a few hundred people think.
Even if you were able to get noticed, the controversy would only increase book sales, and box office sales. Anyway thats my $.02.

chelko
04-27-2007, 14:33
Copyright is there upon creation for music, art, photography and literature but is enforceable and valid only after registration with the Library of Congress Copyright office for the small sum of $45.00.

RockStar
04-27-2007, 14:40
ersonally, if I was rich. I would still care if hundreds of ppl were wearing t-shirts proclaiming I am a candy ass. Maybe that's b/c Im a woman though. Sure I wouldn't lose sleep over it but, it would bug me.

Maybe in the fuss it will turn some heads towards whiteblaze and they would get the flip side of the Walk in the Woods coin. You can't keep the trail a secret. IMHO

Lilred
04-27-2007, 16:15
Copyright is there upon creation for music, art, photography and literature but is enforceable and valid only after registration with the Library of Congress Copyright office for the small sum of $45.00.

Copyright is not there upon creation of music. My husband is a musician. If he creates a song, and sings it publicly without copyright, anyone can steal it, copyright it, and the song is lost to him forever. He used to write the songs, then mail them to himself and the postage would prove the date he had written it. Now, not even that works. You must go through the Library of Congress before anything is considered copyrighted.

Nightwalker
04-27-2007, 16:47
personally, if I was rich. I would still care if hundreds of ppl were wearing t-shirts proclaiming I am a candy ass. Maybe that's b/c I'm a woman though. Sure I wouldn't lose sleep over it but, it would bug me.

Maybe in the fuss it will turn some heads towards whiteblaze and they would get the flip side of the Walk in the Woods coin. You can't keep the trail a secret. IMHO

It's easier for people to criticize those they don't know. Not right, but easier. I tend to let Max Patch really tick me off, and I can't really tell you why. I'll bet you that if I knew him in person, I'd really like the guy. When I first got here, LW and I argued a lot; for the last two years, he's been a true friend, though. This happened after we met in real life!

I've given Baltimore Jack a hard time online in the last year; I hope he still speaks to me in Damascus when we meet again at TDz. Even after I let the cat out of that bag that he's really Bono in disguise (http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_02/BonoHalfOffG_468x508.jpg).

GlazeDog
04-27-2007, 19:12
I swear I've seen a photo of Jack wearing that thing on this sight. Can anyone link me to it quicker than I can find the thing? I'd love one of those shirts. Another one I'd like that I haven't seen is the shirt with the white blaze on front with the words "Blaze This!" written nearby. Does anyone remember that one?

GlazeDog

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-27-2007, 19:21
You mean this shirt (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/CandyA.jpg)?

Outlaw
04-27-2007, 20:53
or this one http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/4/7/7/tj18715F0609045F213331_thumb.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=8936&c=663)

WalkinHome
04-28-2007, 10:16

The way I interpret copyright law regarding literature is that the copyright exists as soon as you create the document. Publishing helps also but the fee in the quote is a registration fee that allows you to recover legal fees easier than if you don't. The copyright protections are valid with or without the fee. That is how I read it anyways.

spittinpigeon
04-28-2007, 10:42
Copyright is not there upon creation of music. My husband is a musician. If he creates a song, and sings it publicly without copyright, anyone can steal it, copyright it, and the song is lost to him forever. He used to write the songs, then mail them to himself and the postage would prove the date he had written it. Now, not even that works. You must go through the Library of Congress before anything is considered copyrighted.

Actually, I think it was on the library of congress website that I read about copyright existing at the moment of creation. However, to establish eternal proof, you need to cough up the cash. $45? It's gone up. Last time I sent something in was after 9/11, everything was backed up, and it took almost a year for me to receive the documents, back then it was only $30.
That mailing to yourself thing is what John Fogerty used to do.

Rain Man
04-28-2007, 12:18

For one person to wear such a shirt is sort of a lame joke, or expression of personal opinion that can be taken or left. For WhiteBlaze to "officially" endorse such a controversial, negative, NOT-unanimous attitude would diminish WhiteBlaze's "class." I wouldn't want to see WhiteBlaze sink to that level. Why profit from negativity?

Rain:sunMan

attroll
04-28-2007, 12:33
I agree with you Rain Man. Just before you posted the above message I had decided to step back from this. There are better things I can put my time and efforts towards.

Mr. Clean
04-28-2007, 12:49
When are you ever going to print some of those "Two paths diverged in a wood..." shirts? Now those are really great shirts. Sign me up for several.

neighbor dave
04-28-2007, 13:15
why single out bryson? the shirt should read, "ANYBODY that didn't finish is a candy ass"
:-? i agree wif lone wolf.:-?

i think everyone knows the ol' sayin'.........
"white trash always needs someone lower than them to pick on to help themselves feel better."

i think the final decision to put the kaibosh on this idea was a good one. attroll is a class act!:sun

trlhiker
04-28-2007, 13:31
No one has mentioned that printing up a bunch of shirts like that could opem yourself up for defamation lawsuit. Do you have the money to fight it, Bryson sure does.

jesse
04-28-2007, 14:01
Byrson is a public figure. Almost impossible to win a defamation lawsuit.

Moon Monster
04-28-2007, 14:15
As said above, copyright can be claimed upon creation of a work but it is not generally enforceable under federal law without registration.

However, slogans and quips are not generally registrable. They can become trademarks, but that's a different matter.

Jester2000
04-28-2007, 14:22
No one has mentioned that printing up a bunch of shirts like that could opem yourself up for defamation lawsuit. Do you have the money to fight it, Bryson sure does.

In order to win such a suit he would have to prove that he is not, in fact, a candy ass.

And he would have to prove that he's not a public figure.

Regardless, it's a bad idea.

attroll
04-28-2007, 14:36
When are you ever going to print some of those "Two paths diverged in a wood..." shirts? Now those are really great shirts. Sign me up for several.
I believe the the ATC or ALDHA sells though shirts.

Jester2000
04-28-2007, 14:38
ALDHA definitely does not sell those shirts. B. Jack sells them. I don't know if they are available through ATC or not, but I don't think so.

Jerm
04-30-2007, 23:08
last i checked the outfitter at harpers ferry sold the "Two paths diverged in a wood..." shirts

Mad Hatter
05-01-2007, 08:45
It's a humorous piece of fiction, why do some people get so worked up about it? It has gotten a lot of people out hiking and I think that is a good thing. If it only showed them how unprepared they were for the trip. If it weren't for "A Walk in the Woods" I know two folks who probably would not have thru-hiked.