PDA

View Full Version : Airport travel w pack & poles?

BobbyNoel
04-27-2007, 20:41
I need to travel to Springer by airplane. Do we just throw the loaded ultra light bag on the conveyor and hope for the best? What about the trekking poles? Can't imagine we're carrying the pointy things inside the plane.

Rob

Pokey2006
04-28-2007, 02:48
Ah, I just went through this recently. Can't have hiking poles or tent stakes or the like in carry-ons. You have to check the bag. A lot of people get a duffel bag to put the pack in, then check it.

Or, you could do what I did: mail a separate package with the poles and other no-no items, and bring the pack on the plane as a carry-on. I liked being able to avoid the whole bag checking thing, though it did cost me a couple extra bucks.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-28-2007, 08:02
A reminder that stove fuels are mostly no-no's and some will set off the explosive detectors (making your trip more of a hassle than you ever dreamed possible). Buy stove fuel after you arrive.

I live near the Knoxville TN airport and go to church with one of the supervisors for the TSA. I asked him about the best way to do this a while back since a lot of people fly here with packs to hike in the GSMNP.

He suggested three ways:
1. Carry the pack on as a bag if it is small enough (being sure the hiking poles, tent stakes and stove are in a checked bag)
2. Put the contents of your pack and the pack itself in a large duffle bag. They are going to have to search it because the X-ray will show all sorts of metal and unidentifiable stuff so having it all loose in a duffle makes that easier / faster.
3. Label anything that is not easily identified. Sometimes people get held up just because the guard searching has no idea what in the heck he / she has found in luggage. Some backpacking gear isn't something that non-backpackers will easily recognize (especially some of the homemade alcohol stoves with pot supports and windscreens - "Is this part of a bomb or what?")

buckowens
04-28-2007, 08:19
Depending on your pack size, you might be able to use the old "Aviators Kit Bag" which can be found at most surplus stores. Really heavy duty with a large zipper top. For the poles, I would suggest a strong cardboard shipping tube. Have fun and good luck :D

SteveJ
04-28-2007, 10:16
A reminder that stove fuels are mostly no-no's and some will set off the explosive detectors (making your trip more of a hassle than you ever dreamed possible). Buy stove fuel after you arrive.

glad they have explosive detectors now! was travelling in 2002 and put my alcohol for my stove in a water bottle, which I put in the water bottle pocket on my pack - went through without a question......told my buddy that works in homeland security about it and he wasn't happy.....

I
live near the Knoxville TN airport and go to church with one of the supervisors for the TSA. I asked him about the best way to do this a while back since a lot of people fly here with packs to hike in the GSMNP.

He suggested three ways:
<clip>
2. Put the contents of your pack and the pack itself in a large duffle bag. They are going to have to search it because the X-ray will show all sorts of metal and unidentifiable stuff so having it all loose in a duffle makes that easier / faster.
<clip>

This is sort of what I do - but instead of a duffel bag, I use a plastic foot locker - my wife found some cheap ones on sale a couple years ago for the boys to take to Boy Scout camp. kind of like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Terence-Thompson-Lockable-Storage-2820-1B/dp/B000I5GYKC

I like the fact that the hard sides will offer some protection to gear that a soft-sided duffel bag won't...

EWS
04-28-2007, 10:36
Wal Mart sell plastic footlockers for about $20, that'll hold more than enough stuff. They're in the automotive department.

EWS
04-28-2007, 10:38
The picture finally loaded, they have the same ones at Wal-Mart.

Footslogger
04-28-2007, 10:45
I need to travel to Springer by airplane. Do we just throw the loaded ultra light bag on the conveyor and hope for the best? What about the trekking poles? Can't imagine we're carrying the pointy things inside the plane.

Rob

=====================================

Have travelled a lot with packs/poles and never had any problems. First off, I carry the poles onto the plane. TSA regs recognize "walking/hiking assist poles" as legal carry-on items. Just collapse them and cover the tips. Don't let TSA identify them as "ski poles" however, which are NOT allowed onboard.

In terms of the pack ...just stow everything inside the pack and tighten down all straps. Consider putting the entire pack in a large plastic leaf bag. Snug down the excess plastic with duct tape and write your name/address on the duct tape with a marker pen. When you get to the destination just rip off the bag and throw it away. Don your pack and hike on ...

'Slogger

LostInSpace
04-28-2007, 11:13
In terms of the pack ...just stow everything inside the pack and tighten down all straps. Consider putting the entire pack in a large plastic leaf bag. Snug down the excess plastic with duct tape and write your name/address on the duct tape with a marker pen. When you get to the destination just rip off the bag and throw it away. Don your pack and hike on ...

'Slogger

Isn't that going to cause a problem if TSA decides they want to inspect your baggage?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-28-2007, 12:24
In terms of the pack ...just stow everything inside the pack and tighten down all straps. Consider putting the entire pack in a large plastic leaf bag. Snug down the excess plastic with duct tape and write your name/address on the duct tape with a marker pen. When you get to the destination just rip off the bag and throw it away. Don your pack and hike on ...The TSA guys will rip the trash bag right off and go thru your pack -- and they likely won't have a clue how to repack it. :eek:

Seriously, the bags are x-rayed before they are put on the planes. Those that have unidentifiable objects are opened and inspected. The chances that your pack is going to have something a TSA guard can't id on an x-ray are excellent - metal stays, stoves & cooking pots are all pretty suspicious looking on x-rays.....

Patrickjd9
04-29-2007, 11:41
When I flew to California on United last week, I noticed backpacks on the conveyor placed in heavy clear plastic bags provided by the airline. Strollers checked at the gate were placed in the same type of bag.

superman
04-29-2007, 11:58
I've dealt with it both ways. I used to carry my pack on what ever mode of transit I used. When I flew down to New Mexico to hike part of the CDT I sent it via UPS in advance. I found it much easier to travel without the bag plus I didn't have to worry about some bone head messing it up on me.
I just put my pack and poles in a cardboard box and filled the box with styrofoam peanuts. It cost about $35. It was worth the money to me.

The Solemates
04-30-2007, 10:06
Just flew this weekend. We always put our pack in a larger, more sturdy duffel and check it. Havent had any problems, and they have ALWAYS inspected our bags since we have hiking poles, stoves, etc.

Footslogger
04-30-2007, 11:06
Isn't that going to cause a problem if TSA decides they want to inspect your baggage?
============================

Guess it could ...but that hasn't been my experience. I mail ahead anything that would arouse suspicion. And after all, I am checking the pack ...not carrying it on.

Not a big deal if they rip the plastic bag off anyway, as long as everything is stowed inside the pack.

'Slogger

LostInSpace
04-30-2007, 14:16
============================

Guess it could ...but that hasn't been my experience. I mail ahead anything that would arouse suspicion. And after all, I am checking the pack ...not carrying it on.

Not a big deal if they rip the plastic bag off anyway, as long as everything is stowed inside the pack.

'Slogger
I use gregory Long Haul Duffle. It is bigger than my pack, but the dimensions are not proportional, so I take a few things out of the pack when packing the duffle. TSA has opened the duffle on every trip I have made, but they have never opened the pack to look inside. I usually leave a couple of teasers in the end pocket or readily visible when they open the duffle ... things like matches and a disposable lighter. I guess when they confiscate those, they probably figure they have everything worth worrying about.

The duffle is nice if I have a place to store it during the trip ... rental car, etc. If I didn't have a place to store it, then your idea with the plastic bag and tape is probably the way I would go.

eugene
05-02-2007, 14:38
I always throw my pack in a larger duffel bag and check it. The first few times I flew, I packed my pack, then put that inside my duffel bag. Lately, I have just been throwing all my gear loose into the duffel bag. That way, if I really have to get to something, I don't have to dig through a packed backpack.

Also, I don't even try to bother with stove fuel. I just make arrangements to buy it at my destination. Airlines are also starting to crack down on cigarette lighters.