PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Mountain Hike

theurbansuburban
04-27-2007, 23:41
I will soon be organizing a back packing trip for some of my university friends, most of whom have only been "car camping". We all go to Drexel University (Philadelpha, PA), and I figured the Hawk Mountain Area of the AT would be a nice choice (mainly because of "the pinicle" and other sweet views). If anyone has any good 2 day (camp near the cars Fri. night, hike and camp Sat, hike back on Sun.) hikes in the area I'd really like to hear them.

emerald
04-28-2007, 10:44
:-? If you have more than 1 vehicle, why go on a linear hike and retrace your steps to the point you began?:confused: You'd see twice the terrain on a linear hike of twice the length.

Stop at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary's visitor's center at some point during your visit to The Green Diamond. You shouldn't miss the opportunity. A day hike to the north lookout once you're done would provide a different perspective of the terrain you hiked. It might even be a better view than afforded by The Pinnacle.

My employer is calling me, I must obey! Be back later today.

emerald
04-28-2007, 15:49
I have in mind a hike that would fit your requirements. How many vehicles and how many individuals are involved? Those numbers would determine whether there would be sufficient space available to camp and to park your vehicles.;)

Give me your numbers and I'll give you a hike. The number of options are greater with a smaller group, but I can probably suggest something for a larger group too.

theurbansuburban
04-29-2007, 13:53
We will likely have between 4 and 8 people with atleast two cars.

Right now, my plan is to park one car somewere in Port Clinton (if anyone knows any good spots please tell) and park the other in the State Game Lands parking lot on Pine Swamp Rd. Hike Friday night the mile from the SGL parking lot to Eckville shelter, then the next morning head towards the Pinicle and stay at Windsor Furnace Shelter Saturday night. Then on Sunday hike to the car in Port Clinton.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make this trip better I'm still up for advice.

Thanks Folks

emerald
04-29-2007, 14:36
Initiated off-board correspondence with thread starter related to overnight accommodations and parking.