PDA

View Full Version : best place to get maps for Smokies

chknfngrs
09-12-2003, 12:43
I'm planning a trip and woud like to know the best place to find a topo map for the park ONLINE PURCHASE. Any suggestions or links to local hiking?

Don
09-12-2003, 13:13
Try the National Geographic Trails Illustratred maps of Great Smoky MOuntains....available on line here

http://www.trailsillustrated.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=15&Product_ID=1003&CATID=10

chris
09-12-2003, 14:08
That is the one I've used for quite a while. Some of the mileage markers are off, and there are a few errors on it, but for the most part it is accurate and all you need. A true, USGS topo isn't really necessary. If you want to hike off trail, I'd pick a different place to do it. But, you can get all the USGS topos at www.topozone.com. Printing them out works fairly well.

deeddawg
09-12-2003, 14:18
I still really like the good old USGS 1:24k topo maps. I've used the TOPO! software and the Nat'l Geographic maps and while each has its plusses, there's just something about setting my compass atop one of those old fashioned USGS maps and getting my bearings.

For the best price (AFAIK), order direct from the USGS:
http://edc.usgs.gov/Webglis/glisbin/finder_main.pl?dataset_name=MAPS_LARGE

Cost if $6 per map plus a $5 per order handling fee. Took about two weeks to receive my order last time I ordered a batch.

chknfngrs
09-12-2003, 15:37
are those the same kind of maps you'd get from a Trail Conference? the waterproof ones? where could I score those? Or at least price them. I think. Adios.

Peaks
09-12-2003, 16:55
Originally posted by chknfngrs
are those the same kind of maps you'd get from a Trail Conference? the waterproof ones? where could I score those? Or at least price them. I think. Adios.

The ATC Guidebook for Georgia and North Carolina and the Guidebook for North Carolina/Tennassee both include the National Geographic Trails Illustrated make of the Great Smoky Mountains. Order it from the ATC.

Stuart
09-13-2003, 16:23
As mentioned above the National Geographic map does have some outdated information. Some of the campsites indicated as 'unrationed' have since become 'rationed'. If you plan on going down and hitting unrationed campsites you could be in for a shock when you find out the site is rationed and full. I had to completely replan a trip at the spur of the moment as I stood in the permit office. Live and learn.

chris
09-15-2003, 09:35
This is good reason for self registering in the Smokys. People frequently make reservations that they never keep. I think I've shared three campsites with others in the Smokys. The backcountry off the AT (and a few other trails) is fairly deserted.

Rain Man
09-15-2003, 10:31
Originally posted by chris
This is good reason for self registering in the Smokys. People frequently make reservations that they never keep.

Chris, what is "self registering" and what difference does it make.. for us novice dummies?

I may be trying some fall color hiking this year in the GSMNP.

Thanks in advance! :)

Rain Man

chris
09-15-2003, 12:26
All overnight hikers in the Smokys need a permit. Permits are free and just list the camps where you will stay. You can get the permit at a variety of ranger stations and front country campgrounds in the park. At Sugarlands, the main visitor center, you go in and talk with a ranger, fill out the form, and hand it to them. If you try get in a shelter or rationed campsite without a reservation, they'll tell you to pick something else.

If you go, though, to a self registration site, like in Elkmont or Cosby or Big Creek, you just fill out the form and drop it in the box. However, some of these places close after the main hiking season. For certain, Sugarlands, Smokemont, and Cades Cove are open year round, but many front country sites, like Cosby and Big Creek, close in the fall. Elkmont is open until, I believe, December 1. See the GSMNP website (go to www.nps.gov) for when these places close.

Do try to get a reservation, particularly for shelters. Many of the rationed campsites see little traffic, some do. Rarely do they fill up, except on paper. Shelters will fill up with people that do not have reservations. You get a reservation by calling the park (number on the webpage) and you can reserve up to 30 days in advance. If you want a reservation from March through August, call the 30 days in advance. October is similar. Sept, Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb are months when you only have to call a day before.

tlbj6142
09-15-2003, 13:19
Even if you go through a self-registration site (we did this past Jan), you'll need add your "registration number" on the form. That number is given to you when you call in.

Rain Man
09-15-2003, 16:42
Originally posted by chris
...Sugarlands, the main visitor center, you go in and talk with a ranger, fill out the form, and hand it to them. If you try get in a shelter or rationed campsite without a reservation, they'll tell you to pick something else.

If you go, though, to a self registration site, like in Elkmont or Cosby or Big Creek, you just fill out the form and drop it in the box. ....

Thanks, Chris, for the explanation.

Rain Man

tphennig
04-01-2004, 23:26
I bought the AT guidbook that included the National Geographic Map of the Smokies, and I'm not really happy with it. The biggest problem is that it's in meters not feet and really doesn't show much topographic detail. The suggestion someone made about printing from topozone.com definitely gives you more detail but the trail marked looks like it's badly out of date. I'm still looking for a good one myself.

chris
04-02-2004, 09:16
Thinking in meters isn't super difficult: There are, roughly, three feet in one meter. So, if you see a 400 meter gain, think a 1200 ft. climb. The lack of topographic detrail isn't much of an issue, as you'll be staying on trail the entire time. Hiking cross country in the Smokys is not an enjoyable thing, as the bush can be very, very thick. The main point of the map is to show you where things are, rather than for navigation.

The central problem that I have with the NG/TI map is that it is hard to read off elevation gains and losses. I carry the little brown Smokys book, called something like "Hiking Trails of the Great Smoky Mountains", which has reasonably account elevation profiles and good trail descriptions, with actually useful historical and natural history notes. I think it cost me like $13 at the park. Don't believe the elevation profile on the NG/TI map. Also, some trails have been rerouted and there are a few mistakes on the map, but nothing that will get you lost.

deeddawg
04-02-2004, 09:36
Let me also add that for planning purposes, the Park trail map can be handy for mileages, routes, determining which campsites are rationed, etc. It won't tell you much (anything) about elevations and such, but it is a good resource considering the price. :)

It's available online as a PDF document at http://www.nps.gov/grsm/pphtml/maps.html

veteran
05-05-2004, 10:17
There is a (Clickable) GSMNP trail map with campsites,shelters and trails
that you can (pan/zoom).

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/gsmnp/mrsid.php?res=2&olds=2&oldx=4613&oldy=2250&image.x=162&image.y=208

Moon Monster
05-06-2004, 12:02
Nat'l Geo started putting out new Trails Illustrated maps in 2003. Make sure you get one of the new ones (I don't know if ATC stocks them yet). They have many more colors than the older ones (which had only black, brown, green, blue and white).

They are updated and have fixed errors (of course, no maps will be completely error free by the time they're printed).

And, they are done in feet and miles predominately.---At least, the maps for other regional areas (like the Mt Rogers area and Pisgah Nat'l Forest, both of which I own) have abandoned metric. I do not own the new version of the Smokeys Map. Perhaps it is still metric.

bigcat2
05-08-2004, 00:18
The latest GSMNP Map is also in feet as the PNF is. That was one thing I was happy to see on the latest version. I know it's not that hard to convert meters to ft, but on the trail I am lazy and don't want to think about conversions. :) Just an FYI for you.

blairspangler
05-09-2004, 09:04
Yeah, the new versions of the map are definitely prettier but most of the info is the same. The metric to feet change is a nice one but either will give you the most important information that you need. I should know. I have bigcat2's old map. :)