PDA

View Full Version : Best Stove for 4 week trip?

kdhoward83
04-28-2007, 15:30
Ive been looking at various stoves to take on a month long trip next month. This is my first real hiking trip and Ive never bought any equipment before, right now Im looking at stoves.

1. What type of stove would be ideal for a month hiking trip?
2. How much fuel would I need to bring?
3. Can I refuel along thy way or would I have to bring enough for the whole trip?

Thanks

rafe
04-28-2007, 15:50
Ive been looking at various stoves to take on a month long trip next month. This is my first real hiking trip and Ive never bought any equipment before, right now Im looking at stoves.

1. What type of stove would be ideal for a month hiking trip?
2. How much fuel would I need to bring?
3. Can I refuel along thy way or would I have to bring enough for the whole trip?

Thanks

If you want to avoid fuel resupply, there are a number of wood-burning stoves, eg. the Sierra Zip stove. If you're frugal with gas usage, a Whisperlite with an extra fuel bottle might suffice.

If resupply is an option, consider either a canister stove or an alcohol stove. These last two are the most common choices for current AT thru-hikers.

There's a nice stove "roundup" somewhere in the archives here at Whiteblaze, comparing the various options for stoves.

Skidsteer
04-29-2007, 06:57
There's a nice stove "roundup" somewhere in the archives here at Whiteblaze, comparing the various options for stoves.

Here's the article (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20055).

SGT Rock
04-29-2007, 07:45
Depends on where you are going and what you are doing. Is it a trip on the AT? If so, then you can use any type of stove you want and re-supply on the way. I prefer alcohol stoves myself - but there is no "best" stove.

Kerosene
04-29-2007, 10:04
As this is your first "real backpacking trip", I'd keep things simple.

You're going to want to resupply if you're out for a month, at least once, and perhaps 3-5 times. Basically, the more you resupply, the less weight in consummables you have to carry. Given that you may not be used to your equipment, resupplies might also allow you to test different options and configurations without having to commit to them for a month.

I rely on an isobutane canister stove (Snow Peak GigaPower (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/stovedetail.cfm/SN1000)) for my 7-10 day section hikes as it is convenient and simple, and I can stretch one small canister for the entire trip if I'm just heating water for dinner and most breakfasts. However, if I was going to be out for more than a few weeks then I would start to lean toward a fuel-efficient alcohol stove, as it is easier to resupply denatured alcohol than canisters (which are also harder to dispose of).

Regardless of which choice you make, spend a bunch of time testing the stove before you get into the woods. Oh, and make sure you have a windscreen of some sort.

Weldman
04-29-2007, 13:23
Depending what you will be cooking and for how many. If its just simple boiling water for meals, then yes a Alcohol stove would work.
Cannister stoves can work too, depends where you are going that they sell them or if you can mail a resupply package besides carrying enough for the whole trip. Gas Stoves about the same as a Cannister but more weight, advantage Multi -fuel burner as mention below.

If you decide on a gas stove, check out the Brunton/Optimus Nova stove besides White gas(coleman) it burns Gasoline, Kerosene/Paraffin, Diesel and Jet fuel with no changes to the burner jet. This may help narrow your choice if you are traveling outside of the U.S.

Good luck on your choice of stoves and have a safe/fun time on your trip.

Mike

Pirate
04-29-2007, 20:16
Try dry fire wood or sticks. Cheap and available.

Fiddler
04-30-2007, 10:29
I always have 2 or 3 Esbit tabs among my 'useless junk'. Another cubic inch of space, another half ounce of weight, and have never needed them. But they are there 'just in case'.

Rambler
05-04-2007, 14:51
Since this is your first trip, alcohol, wood, and esbit stoves do take practice to get used to. They work best if all you have to do is boil a couple cups of water. Esbit with the small tablets is probaly the lightest combo of stove and fuel. One tablet per meal. Alcohol stoves are about 1 oz. of fuel per meal (boil), but when you add the total fuel, the gas canisters with the GigaPower will be about the same. (see Kerosene's post) If you go with the snowPeak or MSR model, the self lighting feature makes them even easier. For wood burners, check out the Littlebug (note, no "e" in little), or the Bushbuddy. Both require firestarting skills, and patience for fuel gathering. Also, they need to be tended as you cook. The easiest for you would be the Cannister stoves. Of course, with a month in the field, you will get plenty of practice, so if you have time try making an alcohol stove. Sgt. Rock will help! If you do not want to make your own, try the Etowah stove. Wow,it is a good one!