PDA

View Full Version : Bear Bag Question

campbell
04-28-2007, 16:08
What would be a common sized bear bag for a single hiker with an average appetite? Also, would a common stuff sack, REI for example, be strong enough? I plan to re supply every three to five days at the common stops between Springer and Hot Springs. I am planning to bring about 50' of light rope to hang the bag.

Thanks

Lumber
04-28-2007, 17:13
A size large, stuff sack will do,,, but instead of carrying 50ft of rope, sleep with your food and carry a handfull of m-80's...

digger51
04-28-2007, 18:22
There really is no "average" appetite. Some bring everything but the refrigerator, while others bring minimal amounts. The best thing is to determine what meals you are likely to carry and buy a bag that will hold at least 50% more. Ensure that your bag is waterproof as it tends to rain on the trail and I have seen many get saturated. A rope is overkill. I use a piece of nylon parachute cord available in any hiking store or some walmarts. Enjoy your walk.

mudhead
04-29-2007, 10:15
Make a three day pile of grub. Put it in one of your bags.

Test it in your pack. Some size bags work better with some packs. No law says you can't use two smaller bags for food.

Besides, that would annoy the gram-counters.

white rabbit
04-29-2007, 10:24
I use a sleeping bag stuff sack. I have several sleeping bags for various temperatures so I always have extra stuff sacks available. Waterproff isn't important to me since my meals are in individual zip lock bags.

Footslogger
04-29-2007, 11:19
What would be a common sized bear bag for a single hiker with an average appetite? Also, would a common stuff sack, REI for example, be strong enough? I plan to re supply every three to five days at the common stops between Springer and Hot Springs. I am planning to bring about 50' of light rope to hang the bag.

Thanks

====================================

I used one on my 2003 thru (and still use it) that is 7" x 17" silnylon (Equinox). Found it to be just the right size for up to 6 days of resupply. Has a nylon strap on the bottom that allows me to hang it upside down from the throw line.

'Slogger