PDA

View Full Version : Tent Material

fennlod
09-12-2003, 20:08
I have taken a basic design of the "Pyramiddle" tent described in one of my ancient Boy Scout manuals, which is 10' x 12' in dimension and I added a thing or two to my preference.

I've been looking around at various fabric websites, and I've come to a roadblock: which fabric will I use? I've heard silnylon, but I have also heard that silnylon is not the most durable thing out there. In light of this, I am not necessarily willing to sacrifice durability for weight.

I want a fabric that is primarily durable and water-resistant, I'm not *too* terribly concerned with weight (although a light fabric would be nice). Anyone have any suggestions?

Lugnut
09-12-2003, 21:05
I made a tent using silnylon and liked it. But, if you don't mind a little more weight then check out ripstop nylon. It's a lot cheaper and should be available at any good fabric store. It's not bomb proof, but tougher than you would think by just feeling it.

JimSproul
09-13-2003, 00:29
I have about 150 yds of Forest Green 60" coated ripstop nylon that I sell on Ebay for about $3.50/yd. It runs about 2 oz per yard. I have used it to make light trail items such as a hiking kilt / Mini-tarp. Let me know if you want to give it a try and I will make you a heck of a deal!

Light weight polyesters make much better tents because you don't get as much strectch when wet.

I have a light weight trail tent (REI Roadster about 3.5 lbs ) that I have used with good sucess in the Rockies. I plan to do a GA-NC section of the AT next spring and will do it with a Hennessy Sil-nylon covered hammock to save a pound and a half.

fennlod
09-13-2003, 03:07
I'm interested in seeing what you've got. Do you have an ad already on eBay?

Peaks
09-13-2003, 08:30
I think that Sil Nylon would be durable enought for a tent. The downside of sil nylon is that it punctures fairly easily. Think in terms of a sheet of plastic. Strong enough to string up, but easily to put a stick through it. Obviously sil nylon is stronger than that, but hope you get the analogy.

Want a cheap material? try using a blue plastic tarp.

JimSproul
09-13-2003, 08:51
No, I don't have a sale on Ebay at the moment. This is you basic light weight ripstop in Forest Green, 60". I paid $2.50 per yard but bids usualy run it up over $3.50 on Ebay. <b>I will sell it to anyone that uses this forum at cost plus shipping.</b> Only ship USPS priority, shipping costs usually run about $4 for 3 - 5 yards, it gets cheaper per yard after that. It all depends on your zip code.

Email me with you mailing address and I will mail you a sample.

[email protected]

I don't do it as a business, just to make a few pesos to buy camping gear.

Which brings up a question, do any of you have to go to those meetings? You know the kind. You walk to the front of the room, stand in front of a bunch of people that suffer from the same thing you suffer from and say "Hi, My name is Jim and I buy camping gear". The whole room responds with "Hi Jim" and you tell your tale of woe about how camping gear as effected you life. This is Saturday morning and I hope I can get through the weekend without ANOTHER trip to REI! :D

Saluki Dave
09-13-2003, 21:32
Oh yeah Jim, major gear addict here. Of course, at least part of that is attributable to my engineering background. Hey, by the way, I looked at the Roadster tent for a friend, but was scared off by the little pulley contraptions for end staking. I had mental images of one of those babies going FUBAR during a pitch some dark and rainy night. What's your take?

JimSproul
09-13-2003, 22:18
I used that Roadster at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico this year, 11 trail days over 7000 ft. It rained 6 out of 11 days. The little cleat gadgets you talked about worked fine even with campsites that were seldom flat. Because it has an all mesh top I found it was best to leave the fly attached to keep the rain out when setting up. I also kept the footprint attached too. The design handled moisture very well even though we had lots of wind, rain and temp changes. The standing corners really give you a sense that you have a lot more space than tents that taper down to the ground.

I talked with two other people out there that were using the Raodster, both women and shorter than me, and they were very satisfied. There is not much space if you are tall. I am 5'8" and could sit up in the middle. I had a Crazy Creek like backrest (doubled as sleeping mat) and spent more than a few quiet hours reading away from rain, bugs and scouts! Changing clothes required a good bit of wriggling. The vestible is very small but fine for boots and rain gear.

I had another advisor with me last year that was 6'2", I think it would have been a problem for him. He used an Canyonlands and was very pleased. That plus shaving a few pounds was my excuse for buying a solo tent.

I am experimenting with a Hennessy Hammock right now. Current plans call for a 25 day section hike next spring. The Hennessy saves a pound and a half but I will take the Roadster if I am not thrilled with a tent off the ground. Sorry to ramble, never ask a gear freak how he likes his tent!

:rolleyes:

Bill Strickland
12-10-2003, 21:20
If you will go to royrobinson.homestead.com/ you will find a plan for a tarp/tent, and a company that sells tent materiel. I ordered some, and it was great!

Rain Man
12-10-2003, 23:34
I used that Roadster at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico this year, 11 trail days over 7000 ft. It rained 6 out of 11 days. ... The Hennessy saves a pound and a half but I will take the Roadster if I am not thrilled with a tent off the ground. Sorry to ramble, never ask a gear freak how he likes his tent!

Jim, am very glad to hear you ramble about the REI Roadster. I had an REI Clipper, but swapped it for the Roadster. Have only slept in the Roadster in my backyard a couple of rainy nights. I thought it was just great.

And thanks for the tip about leaving the fly and footprint attached.

Rain Man