PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Bag Cooking

Grunt
04-29-2007, 12:48
Just got back from 10 days hiking from Dick's Creek to Fontana Dam and for the first time I utilizied "Freezer Bag Cooking." I cannot say enough for how effective and delightful it was to just boil water...wait 10 minutes or so and chow-down. Convenience, fast, less trash, less space, less mess; pure and simple; less hassle. Just thought I send along my thougts.
Grunt

toddhiker
04-29-2007, 13:56
Agreed!

I love it, too.

Smile
04-29-2007, 17:00
Glad it works for u :)

B Thrash
04-29-2007, 20:49
Just got back from 10 days hiking from Dick's Creek to Fontana Dam and for the first time I utilizied "Freezer Bag Cooking." I cannot say enough for how effective and delightful it was to just boil water...wait 10 minutes or so and chow-down. Convenience, fast, less trash, less space, less mess; pure and simple; less hassle. Just thought I send along my thougts.
Grunt

Please explain how you freezer bag cook.

ShakeyLeggs
04-30-2007, 08:24
removed by me

Grinder
04-30-2007, 11:02
Grunt,
What was the menu??

Inquiring minds, etc.

Tom

walkin' wally
04-30-2007, 11:04
Is using a cozy for breakfast freezer bag cooking neccessary? I mean on a cold morning. Will the food cook just as well without it?

RockStar
04-30-2007, 13:18
Grunt,
What was the menu??

Inquiring minds, etc.

Tom

Yes we do! :p

mudhead
04-30-2007, 14:17
Is using a cozy for breakfast freezer bag cooking neccessary? I mean on a cold morning. Will the food cook just as well without it?

Frosty morning. Instant or quick oats=no. Old fashioned=yes. I most always use something, as the bag is too hot to barehand. Rubbermaid bowl works for me. (Thanks S.)

sarbar
04-30-2007, 17:57
In most cases it will cook fine (if instant oatmeal), but if you are doing say couscous, it doesn't hurt. Or if you get busy and come back 20 minutes later to eat ;)
As for me, it depends on the weather if I use a cozy in the morning. But usually hot bag=cozy so I am not doing the cooling off dance in my hands.

Slosteppin
04-30-2007, 19:35
In most cases it will cook fine (if instant oatmeal), but if you are doing say couscous, it doesn't hurt. Or if you get busy and come back 20 minutes later to eat ;)
As for me, it depends on the weather if I use a cozy in the morning. But usually hot bag=cozy so I am not doing the cooling off dance in my hands.

I rehydrate/heat soups that I"ve dehydrated. I put the freezer bag in an empty plastic Gatoraid jar with a screw top. I made a blue foam cozy for the jar but it was difficult to pack. This last weekend I just took the jar without the cozy. After 15 minutes it was rehydrated and still almost too hot to eat. Temperature was 45 F when i did my supper.

Slosteppin

Rhino-lfl
05-03-2007, 10:03
Please explain how you freezer bag cook.

1. Cook food at home.
2. Dehydrate it.
3. Stick in a freezer bag.
4. Pack in your backpack.
5. Hike.
6. Get hungry.
7. Take out a freezer bag.
8. Boil water.
9. Pour boiling water in freezer bag.
10. Wait 10 minutes.
11. Eat contents of freezer fag.

jimtanker
05-13-2007, 13:17
I made my FBC cozy so that when it's done coooking I open the bag and fold it back over the opening of my cozy. It holds the bag open and is perfect to hold and eat out of. No muss, no fuss.

I'll have to find pictures of it somewhere and put one up for you. I think that Blackbishop might have one of it too.

RiverWarriorPJ
05-13-2007, 13:34
1. Cook food at home.
2. Dehydrate it.
3. Stick in a freezer bag.
4. Pack in your backpack.
5. Hike.
6. Get hungry.
7. Take out a freezer bag.
8. Boil water.
9. Pour boiling water in freezer bag.
10. Wait 10 minutes.
11. Eat contents of freezer fag.

..lOl.....Great reply...:D

Just made sum burger, F-dried it in my toaster oven & pureed it in the blender (yes, i still have teeth) .. & i'm gonna try it as a snack mixed w/instant taters & powered gravy .. sounds good .. (2 me)...

RiverWarriorPJ
05-13-2007, 13:38
x
ooopz....."Dehydrated" vice Freeze Dried in the Toaster Oven..
z

Sparky06
05-19-2007, 22:57
I've only tried freezer bag cooking a few times, but it seems my food always either turns out pasty, or clumps up and doesn't mix well...I'm guessing I just haven't figured out exactly how much water to add yet, but is there something else I'm missing here? Seems like a great idea, maybe I just tried bad recipes. hmm...

sarbar
05-20-2007, 00:26
Stirring very well when the water is added, and measuring your water are the two biggest thing syou can do ;)

Sparky06
05-20-2007, 13:26
Hmm, maybe I need a better water-measuring method, then...seems a shame to bring a seperate cup just for that, though. Has anyone tried putting measuring lines on their pot? What could I use that would stay on? Maybe I should try this again... =)

Topcat
05-20-2007, 14:21
At home you can scroll measuring lines in your pot. makes life easy

Chache
05-20-2007, 16:52
Hmm, maybe I need a better water-measuring method, then...seems a shame to bring a seperate cup just for that, though. Has anyone tried putting measuring lines on their pot? What could I use that would stay on? Maybe I should try this again... =)
Put a mark on your spoon or fork to measure depth.

gold bond
05-21-2007, 14:33
I have been hesitant on dehydrating beef / HB meat. Am I just being paranoid or what?

I have been doing the FB cooking thing for awhile now and love it...ready for some new and"exciting" meals! I've about done the "chicken" thing to death.

Need advice!

Creek Dancer
05-21-2007, 14:43
Just start with the leanest ground beef you can find, like 97/3. (Wal-mart is the only place around here that I can find this, but I am sure other places sell it as well.) Anyway, just cook it up in a non-stick pan without adding any fat. Cook the beef all the way down. Some people put the cooked beef in a strainer and rinse it with hot water to get all the fat out, but I just roll mine up in a paper towel, one after the other, and press out any remaining fat. Then dehydrate on parchment paper or on a tray. I add my spices later, depending on what I plan to fix later.

Now if I could just figure out how to dehydrate bananas without ending up with a sticky mess.

Good luck!

gold bond
05-21-2007, 15:31
Thank you Creek Dancer!!

Old Grouse
05-21-2007, 15:34
Both dehydrated and freeze-dried bananas are comparatively cheap and easily found in stores. How many do you need that would make dehydrating them yourself worthwhile?

Creek Dancer
05-21-2007, 15:40
Both dehydrated and freeze-dried bananas are comparatively cheap and easily found in stores. How many do you need that would make dehydrating them yourself worthwhile?

Yup, that was my conclusion as well! Not worth the bother in my opinion. At first I had trouble finding dehydrated or freeze-dried bananas :banana made without coconut oil, but recently found some organic ones that are pretty good and don't have the added oil.

Toothless
05-22-2007, 17:16
I've been an advocate for freezerbag cooking since I heard about it. Several AT trips later, I'm never going to cook any other way.

Check out this website for full detail... even a caveman can do it!

http://freezerbagcooking.com/

Toothless

Swass
09-09-2007, 11:23
I'd like to hear more about cozies, especially homemade ones. What are they made out of? I looked at the ones on Antigravitygear and they seem to be mostly pot cozies, with one envelope looking one. Is that the best kind for freezerbag cooking?

Sorry if there is a thread on this elsewhere... if there is, guide me to it please. :)

aaroniguana
09-09-2007, 11:39
I'm making one out of two layers of space pak. It's a form of insulation sold at Home Depot and Lowe's, it's basically bubble wrap made out of mylar. I have a couple rolls lying around which I was going to use as winter insulation in a yurt I made a few years ago. I cut pieces to fit loosely around my KMart greast pot in two layers icluding a lid, connected them together with gorrilla tape and then will sew an inner and outer liner of poly-fleece and a velcro tab to hold it closed. I'll post pics when it's done but I can't test it until we get some cold weather (which I can't wait much longer for...). The whole thing will cost maybe $5 and take a few hours to put together.

aaroniguana
09-09-2007, 12:03
I should have mentioned that this is a pot cozy, but the same priniciple can be used for a bag cozy, and much faster construction I'd assume.

JimM
09-09-2007, 14:13
I should have mentioned that this is a pot cozy, but the same priniciple can be used for a bag cozy, and much faster construction I'd assume.
I made a template using heavy paper first. I tinkered with it until the fit for my pot was close enough to allow for easy removal, and then cut the material. I used some aluminized duct tape I had laying around, but I think regular duct tape may work just as well (and be cheaper).
Jim

gumball
09-09-2007, 15:14
I bought a couple of insulated "lunch bags" at Walmart several years ago for 99 cents each. They look like a paper bag in their shape, but they are made of cooler material. Very light--but I don't know if they still sell them. I stuck a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil in the bottom of mine to hold the heat a little better. Packs small, works fine.

I also introduced a friend to freezer bag cooking and made a cozy very simply out of fleece. I also stuck a piece of heavy duty foil in the bottom. Works just fine.

Simple is best for me. Gum

sarbar
09-09-2007, 17:34
The envelope style is what you want for freezer bags. You can make them quite easily (or for easy cheezy..buy one).
The ones I make look like this:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Cozies2.jpg
I make ours out of Insul Bright and a second layer of fabric of choice. They are sewn though.

mudhead
09-09-2007, 17:42
You sellin them fancy rigs?

sarbar
09-09-2007, 19:31
You sellin them fancy rigs?
Yes, I do :)
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/fbcstore.htm
In the next couple weeks I will have two new colors as well: Blue Paisley (just like the brown one) and a Blue Camo (it is just like the Desert Camo print).

Nearly Normal
09-09-2007, 20:19
I made one from 3 foam rubber beer cozies and duct tape. It's a little heavier than I'd like. May try again with a lite weight mouse pad.

Nearly Normal

Froggy
09-09-2007, 21:16
I used a cardboard cookie box as a cozy - worked much better than I'd hoped. So if you restock on the trail, and your cookies come in a cardboard box, you've just found yourself a brand new cozy, once the new box is properly prepared.

Ah, you say, and tell me how one "prepares" a cardboard box to become a cozy?

Well, glad you asked. It's easy. It's simple. Merely eat up all them cookies. Then the box is ready.

oops56
09-09-2007, 21:43
Here how i made mine a sun windscreen cheap 1.00 cut two circle put one in bottom of hat rap one round pot put in the the other round one close hat. And it all folds flat in the hat after

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/th_potcozy.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/potcozy.jpg)

jlb2012
09-10-2007, 09:05
The envelope style is what you want for freezer bags. You can make them quite easily.......

well Sarbar I have to disagree to some extent - I like a cozy to stand up by itself and to hold the bag open by itself so as to keep both hands available to pour the boiling water and to keep the hands away from where the boiling water is going to be poured

ATSeamstress
09-10-2007, 09:52
I made my cozy out of the leftover liner that went under the laminate flooring I recently installed. I taped it up with the heat-resistant tape that I used for my Pepsi-can stove.

gold bond
09-10-2007, 11:35
I purchased a set of pot holders at the dollar store...two for a dollar! Sewed them together all except about two-three inces from the top and presto....you have a lightweight, small, compactable cozie. It won't stand up by itself but what the hey it works!

deadhorsejoe
09-10-2007, 14:10
I have made many freezer bag cozies from the shiny dashboard protectors that you can buy at Walmart, car parts places, etc. The fold out ones that go behind the windsheld to block the sunlight. The whole dashboard protector costs anywhere from 3 to 6 dollars and you can make many cozies from each protector. The shiny ones that look like padded aluminium foil work great. Use some aluminium duct tape to put them together.

headchange4u
10-16-2007, 17:03
The envelope style is what you want for freezer bags. You can make them quite easily (or for easy cheezy..buy one).
The ones I make look like this:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Cozies2.jpg
I make ours out of Insul Bright and a second layer of fabric of choice. They are sewn though.

What's Insul Bright?

sarbar
10-16-2007, 17:53
What's Insul Bright?
It is a fabric that is infused with mylar. It is made here in the US by the Warm Company (one of their factories is over on the Olympic Pennisula here, near Olympic National Park!). I love the stuff: machine washable, dryable, breathable, sewable, etc.

headchange4u
10-17-2007, 09:19
It is a fabric that is infused with mylar. It is made here in the US by the Warm Company (one of their factories is over on the Olympic Pennisula here, near Olympic National Park!). I love the stuff: machine washable, dryable, breathable, sewable, etc.

I did a search after my post last night and found out a little more about the Insul Bright fabric. Sounds ccol. Best of all my local Jo Ann's Fabric sell it (or so the internet says) so I may have to pick some up.

headchange4u
10-17-2007, 10:15

I did a search after my post last night and found out a little more about the Insul Bright fabric. Sounds ccol. Best of all my local Jo Ann's Fabric sell it (or so the internet says) so I may have to pick some up.

sarbar
10-17-2007, 11:05
Yes, most JoAnn's do! Look for it in the section near the cutting area, with insulations and intefacings.

walkinfool
10-18-2007, 10:41
What size freezer bags do you typically use for freezer bag cooking? Quart?

sarbar
10-18-2007, 10:42
What size freezer bags do you typically use for freezer bag cooking? Quart?
Usually quart, though I love the pint sized ones for lunches and smaller things like sauces.

walkinfool
10-18-2007, 10:43
sarbar, are the pouches you sell made specifically for quart-sized bags?

sarbar
10-18-2007, 14:45
sarbar, are the pouches you sell made specifically for quart-sized bags?
Yes they are, but you can use them for pint bags and Enrtia bags as well.

I have made special order cozies for hikers from England that have wide freezer bags.

ScubaDooba
11-09-2007, 14:40
Sarbar- I just read about your cookbook in Backpacker Mag. Congrats on the coverage.

I came to WB to do more reading about FBC and didn't know this was someone actually on WB.

Do you have any plans on making a free standing cozy?

sarbar
11-09-2007, 22:54
Sarbar- I just read about your cookbook in Backpacker Mag. Congrats on the coverage.

I came to WB to do more reading about FBC and didn't know this was someone actually on WB.

Do you have any plans on making a free standing cozy?

My husband keeps asking if I am going to start wearing large sunglasses and a scarf and driving over people now that I am famous :D Ok, just kidding!

Anyhoo, yes, that is something I am working on though. The first generation cozies though have kept me busy! I have some thoughts I am working on to keep it UL and not drive up the price.

Christopher Robin
11-14-2007, 19:05
I'd like to hear more about cozies, especially homemade ones. What are they made out of? I looked at the ones on Antigravitygear and they seem to be mostly pot cozies, with one envelope looking one. Is that the best kind for freezerbag cooking?

Sorry if there is a thread on this elsewhere... if there is, guide me to it please. :)
check out zenbackpack.net about cozes

lonehiker
11-14-2007, 19:23
I use a coleman stove bag as my free-standing cozy. It has adequate insulation to keep the food hot and only weighs 1.2 oz. It holds a quart freezer bag easily. But, I have been using the Glad storage bags. They come in boxes of 100 and only cost a few dollars. I put them in the cozy and can pull the excess bag to the outside of the cozy and then eat right out of the cozy. Have yet to have a problem with the bags leaking.

honeyhiker
11-14-2007, 19:28
I made our cozies out of reflectix, aluminum tape and velcro to close the top. I made them a little bigger than a filled quart sized freeezer bag. They're lightweight and work great. Stirring when you add the water is definitely the key. Stuffing, oatmeal, refried bean/rice mixture for tacos or nachos, instant potatoes are all easy favorites amd lightweight.

rpenczek
11-15-2007, 08:40
Two ways to make/create a great freezer bag cozy.

1. Use an old watch cap (you know a knit cap for winter) and put your bag inside (don't use this cap to sleep in while in bear country lol).
2. Use foil backed insulated bubble wrap (you can get it and aluminum tape to put it together at the Home Depot or Lowes). Make an envelope out of the material just big enough for a full qt size zip lock. This cozy will also pack flat when not in use.

oops56
11-15-2007, 09:38
Yep there is all kinds of ways to make a cozy. Here is mine a sunscreen two circle a flat to wrap a round pot put one circle in hat then wrap pot put in hat then the other circle on top pull draw string to close cost at the dollar store 2.00 and it all folds flat in hat.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/th_potcozy.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/stoves%202/potcozy.jpg)
this sucks on other forums it comes out bigger

Blue Wolf
11-15-2007, 10:10
IMO is Outdoor Research water bottle cozy and it holds a sno-peak pot, cup,spork,lighter,babdana for pot holder & stove of choice even a small canistor of butane when I cary my Giga Power stove.

It has a zipup top very durable and works the best I have found for freezer bag cooking my mac& chesse tastes as good as at home and I use no milk or butter just the chese:D add some tuna it's gourmet

Blue Wolf
11-15-2007, 10:12
http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/19132/ Here is the link to one thought this may help ya get an idea.

envirodiver
11-29-2007, 13:32
I used freezer bag cooking for the first time on an extended trip recently. I'm a big fan. I actually vacuum sealed my meals, cut the top off, then poured the boiling water into that bag, rolled it down and sealed it with a small binder clip (Sarbar shared this little trick w/ me), slipped it into my cozy.

I was travelling in a dry area and making dry camps much of the time. This Freezer bag method is perfect for this type of camp. Most of the recipes that I used took less than 1-1/2 cups of water with none for clean-up. Left water available for tea.

Also, used Sarbar's cookbook for many of my meals. Outstanding. My favorite was the spinach cheese potato recipe that she posted on here.

Critterman
11-30-2007, 11:02
I made our cozies out of reflectix,

What is reflectix and where do you get it. Thanks

Ewker
11-30-2007, 11:25
it is foil insulation and you can get it at Lowe's

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=13353-56291-ST16025&lpage=none

Farr Away
12-01-2007, 11:31
What is reflectix and where do you get it. Thanks
The first two cozies I made out of reflectix. After the second one got 'contaminated' by failure to tightly seal the freezer bag, I sewed one out of silnylon and some extra batting from making my Ray Jardine quilt. If this cozy gets spilled on, I just throw it in the washing machine.

YMMV, but I couldn't get the tuna smell off the reflectix...

beeman
12-01-2007, 12:36
Put a mark on your spoon or fork to measure depth.

The things I mark tent to wear off. I like the spoon idea though. I would either cut a slight notch or drill a TINY hole in the spoon handle at the right depth.

Christopher Robin
12-01-2007, 15:29
I find at Stop @ Shop a (ahoit@cold) hot,cold@frozen aluminam thermal bag for $1.99 15x12" w/snaps across the top W/a handel and folds flat. I also thought of 4 way to use it, 1.pull a small cut on thr side so my plataps can stay cold or insulated. 2.I can up 4 freezer bags of meals in at once, 3.use it to bring water in it, 4.use it for geting surpiles.

greentick
12-02-2007, 00:52
I made a cozy on a whim out of a piece of nylon, bubble wrap and a section from a mylar birthday balloon. Took about 20 minutes, weighs less than an ounce and I won't cry if I have to toss it.

Thirsty_River
12-21-2007, 17:46
what stove do you use?

Maple
12-21-2007, 17:56
If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG?

Probably