PDA

View Full Version : Maine AT trivia

woodsy
04-29-2007, 15:31
It is raining here today and for lack of nothing better to do decided to post this picture to see who here could name this road crossing on the Maine AT. (http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/scan0013-1.jpg)
Hint: somewhere between Katahdin and NH :)

rafe
04-29-2007, 16:02
The road to Rangely or to Stratton. I'm gonna guess Stratton.

woodsy
04-29-2007, 16:35
Bingo! The road to Stratton it is. Dang it all, I hate it when the first guesser gets it right. Way to go TT!

rafe
04-29-2007, 16:51
Bingo! The road to Stratton it is. Dang it all, I hate it when the first guesser gets it right. Way to go TT!

By coincidence, I've spent most of this weekend scanning films of my section hike from that trailhead to Caratunk. But none of my photos were of the trailhead itself. Honest.

woodsy
04-29-2007, 17:17
Well this trailhead is special to me cause I lived within a mile of here for two years in a rustic camp just down the hill, and gave many a hiker a ride to and from Stratton while there. Maine, The Way Life Should BE. May post a picture or two of overwintering there.

spittinpigeon
04-29-2007, 17:35
Before I looked down at the answer, I guessed Stratton too. That part on the right side of the road, down where it levels off is where I hitched from. It took a while, and I was being attacked by the moose flies, killed six of them before I finally got a hitch from an older woman with a little doggie.

rafe
04-29-2007, 17:43
One of my section hikes with my nephew ended at this trailhead, and another one, the following year, started here.

After that second hike, we drove home by way of the Wildcat ski area and took the chairlift up the mountain. I was keen to show my nephew the white blazes on top of that mountain... I think it made an impression.

I do love the AT in Maine...:sun

woodsy
04-29-2007, 18:19
Before I looked down at the answer, I guessed Stratton too. That part on the right side of the road, down where it levels off is where I hitched from. It took a while, and I was being attacked by the moose flies, killed six of them before I finally got a hitch from an older woman with a little doggie.

It's no wonder you were being attacked by Moose Flies, this is a well known Moose Crossing.;)