PDA

View Full Version : Safest Time for Katahdin

dblari
04-29-2007, 19:20
Anyone know what the safest time of year is to climb Katahdin?

trlhiker
04-29-2007, 20:34
When the weather is good. From opening day to closing day.

Nightwalker
04-30-2007, 02:23
I did it in mid-August. Highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s. That's hard to beat.

weary
04-30-2007, 09:14
Katahdin isn't a particularly dangerous mountain for people in reasonable health and physical condition. Thousands of virtually all ages climb it every year.

There are rock scrambles as you approach the summit plateau, but injuries are rare and usually minor. A handful of people have died over the decades -- mostly while climbing in winter conditions or when caught in freak storms in late autumn.

A few springs ago a climber was killed in June after being hit by a boulder that was loosened by heavy rains.

To answer your question, sunny, summer days are the safest times. But if you watch the weather predictions or listen to the advice of park rangers you are unlikely to have problems through early fall.

Weary

rafe
04-30-2007, 09:23
I think if Katahdin were as accessible as Mt. Washington it would have a similar reputation and record in terms of injuries/fatalities. But given that it's much less accessible, it tends to attract hikers/climbers that are more careful and knowledgeable. Part of that "access" involves active enforcement by park personnel -- much more so at K than at Mt. Washington.

I would not want to do the Knife Edge in bad weather.

Penne
04-30-2007, 09:30

What is the Knife Edge? I don't think I've heard of that before?

rafe
04-30-2007, 10:43
What is the Knife Edge? I don't think I've heard of that before?

It's a trail from Chimney Pond to Katahdin summit along a narrow, rough spine of rock with steep dropoffs on both sides. The AT takes an entirely different approach to the summit. Some photos of the Knife Edge here (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=katahdin+knife+edge&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2). (not mine)

DawnTreader
04-30-2007, 11:17
The knife edge is a wicked excellent hike.. Your best chance for good weather, besides plain good luck, is to leave Roaring Brook early, real early; I left at 4:00 a.m. summited via knife edge by 9:00 a.m. and was in Katahdin Stream Campground before the crazy afternoon thunderstorms rolled in. Don't miss this hike, if your starting or finishing a thru or long hike, do the old up and over, hike the knife edge...... I've got some good shots of the ridge in my gallery here at WB

rafe
04-30-2007, 11:19
FWIW, do not attempt the Knife Edge with a heavy pack or in anything less than perfect weather.

Penne
04-30-2007, 11:42
Thanks for the replies. It looks intense. So the Knife Edge isn't a part of the AT, right? I do hope, when I'm there on June 2, it's nice enough for me to give it a go.

DawnTreader
04-30-2007, 11:55
FYI
The baxter Rangers often talk people out of hiking the knife edge. Don't let them disuade you unless of course the weather is crappy.. Just use your judgement and leave early. The knife edge is not part of the A.T. it meets it at Baxter peak and continues down the Hunt Trail to KSC. The Helon Taylor trail accends the opposite side of the mountain around chimney pond.

Brrrb Oregon
04-30-2007, 12:05
FWIW, do not attempt the Knife Edge with a heavy pack or in anything less than perfect weather.

I have never been there, but just from the pictures on the web, that would be my take. That looks like a route that takes some serious old-fashioned paying attention, too. At least, I don't see any places to have a "little fall" on that thing.

weary
04-30-2007, 12:10
Though there are steep slopes on both sides of the Knife Edge, I've never heard of anyone falling off and getting hurt. The injuries come from falling into the trail from a couple of steep rock scrambles that mark the route.

These are caused by failure to understand basic rock safety. The scrambles have plenty of foot and hand holds. Many hikers, however, don't use them. They come down the steep parts facing outward, which is akin to climbing a ladder with your back to the rungs.

The safe way is to turn around and face the rock, not to look away from the rock, when even a minor slip leaves you with nothing to hold on to.

Weary

DawnTreader
04-30-2007, 12:13
I have never been there, but just from the pictures on the web, that would be my take. That looks like a route that takes some serious old-fashioned paying attention, too. At least, I don't see any places to have a "little fall" on that thing.

At times your correct. You could be one mistep away from certain doom. It got my heart pumping. Other times however, there is quite a bit of clearence on both sides. You do need to pay attention at all times. No serious climbing skills required in perfect weather, just a little mental toil....

rafe
04-30-2007, 12:15

The Knife Edge is as challenging as it gets without ropes and pitons. There is simply no room for error. There are places where the spine is only a foot or two wide, with steep, steep, dropoffs of several hundred feet on both sides. I love being "on high ground" but I think I must be acrophobic. I like terra firma under my feet. I've done the Knife Edge twice now, but the last time was about 20 years ago. I had the same queasy sensations climbing a few of the trails in Zion National Park. Too much...

peakbagger
04-30-2007, 12:44
The knifes edge is definitely something do do on a good day, preferably earlier in the day to avoid potential afternooon thundershowers. The part that most people have a tough time is called the Chimney which is quite close to the beginning of the trail near the pamola summit. Its a steep drop down into a low spot which requires a scramble down a rock face, plenty of handholes and footholds but both hands and feet are required. The climb out of the chimney requires some upper body strength as there is a section that requires pulling oneself up over a couple of interesting spots.

Nightwalker
04-30-2007, 12:50
I think if Katahdin were as accessible as Mt. Washington it would have a similar reputation and record in terms of injuries/fatalities. But given that it's much less accessible, it tends to attract hikers/climbers that are more careful and knowledgeable. Part of that "access" involves active enforcement by park personnel -- much more so at K than at Mt. Washington.

The next morning after I climbed, I saw a mother and two small kids heading up. Way too many people seem to think that it's just a normal day-hike. I doubt that they were in any trouble, but I didn't imagine that they would get much past the tree line.

Nightwalker
04-30-2007, 12:54
I would never, ever recommend that anyone try to descend via the Knife Edge Trail. Go up the Knife Edge, then down the Hunt Trail (AT).

mudhead
04-30-2007, 14:34
It is creepy going downhill on the Knifedge. Won't kill you, unless you get squiirrly from heights. I won't do it either way if the wind is big or it's wet. Just a sissy I guess.

Wet boglogs have probably caused more injuries. Just not as far a first step.

weary
04-30-2007, 14:49
...Wet boglogs have probably caused more injuries. Just not as far a first step.
I've long believed that bog bridges are the most danagerous device on the trail. Some trails in the south had hardware cloth or other covering to lessen the slipperiness. Fresh bridging is okay, but with age it develops a slippery fungus.

In my 1991 month long walk in Maine one of the participants slipped four miles from the Jo Mary Campground road and broke her wrist in two places. It was the first time that anyone in any of my hikes was seriously injured. Luckily I had arranged for a brother to meet us at the road crossing with some fresh steaks. He left the steaks with me and my grandson and drove his sister to the hospital.

As for the difficulty of climbing Katahdin. The injured met us at Katahdin Stream a few days later, preparing to climb the mountain. As it turned out it rained hard that day, so we rescheduled our ascent for a month later. We all made it to the summit without further problems -- injured wrist and all.

Weary

DavidNH
04-30-2007, 16:47
Dblari,

No the knife edge is not part of the AT. The AT goes over the Hunt Trail and ends at top of Baxter Peak.

Wait till June at least. But more than a time of year...wait till the weather is nice. I guess you could go up in clouds and rain but why on earth would you want to. Go up when it is sunny and enjoy the amazing views.

if it were me..i would go between mid June and Mid September to minimize chances of freezing temperatures.

i really want to get back there someday and do the Knife Edge. It looks amazing. I am sure there is a photo or two on white blaze here somewhere.

Also keep in mind, that you will be climbing up very steep rock and if that gets slippery from wet or ice..well that is at best no fun. The rangers wont close the mountain unless it is snowy or icy. so you could go up in an all out rain storm...but..as i said before..WHY would one?

David

ozt42
04-30-2007, 17:17
Statisticly speaking January is probably the safest...

The rangers only let you in the park if you are in a well equiped group and you know what you are doing.

Brrrb Oregon
04-30-2007, 18:22
The next morning after I climbed, I saw a mother and two small kids heading up. Way too many people seem to think that it's just a normal day-hike. I doubt that they were in any trouble, but I didn't imagine that they would get much past the tree line.

This is the picture that made me wonder if it is any kind of place for fools or little children.
http://www.billcurtsingerphoto.com/*Resources/*homeimages/People/owenkatahdin.jpg

Maybe the kid wouldn't get hurt, but a parent with a child active enough to consider going up that thing could wind up with a permanent coronary condition just thinking about it.

As the engineers might say, that pile of rocks would not appear to have reached its angle of repose. That, in and of itself, asks for some caution when climbing on it.

And man, oh man, if you bounced more than once, that second bounce would be a doozy. :eek:

Nightwalker
04-30-2007, 21:32
This is the picture that made me wonder if it is any kind of place for fools or little children.
http://www.billcurtsingerphoto.com/*Resources/*homeimages/People/owenkatahdin.jpg

If you haven't been there, you have no idea how alien a place can look. I mean like another planet kind of alien. I'll never see anything like it again. I can't imagine a cooler place for the end of the trail! :sun

weary
04-30-2007, 21:56
If you haven't been there, you have no idea how alien a place can look. I mean like another planet kind of alien. I'll never see anything like it again. I can't imagine a cooler place for the end of the trail! :sun
Nor can I. But if the goAL IS SIMPLY THE SUMMIT, there are many ways to get there. None are easy, But several are easier. I like to backpack into Chimney Pond, spend the night, do the 4-5 mile round trip back to Chimney Pond, and then, finally, to exit the next morning. When my youngest was five and I had promised that he could "climb the mountain this summer," we went up Hamlin Ridge from Chimney Pond, an easy, but long trail, and down the Saddle Trail.

The Saddle is easier than the AT (Hunt TRail) but not much. Of course hiking with a five-year-old companion is relatively easy, as compared with adult companions. You can just lift youngsters over the difficult spots.

In good conditions, Katahdin is a fun mountain -- especially for hikers with some experience. Because I'm not into peak bagging, I tend to take all mountains slow and easy. I like to identify the rare flowers and other plants, ponder the lichens, and spend time on all the views, and whatever wildlife I can see.

Weary

moxie
04-30-2007, 22:27
I honestly don't know how many times I have climbed Katahdin. One friend had done it more than 100 times and a neighabor has climbed it every year since she was six or seven years old. I climb it at least once a year now but missed deveral years when I worked away. Last August we hit the table land in a pouring rain but from Thoreau Spring to the summit it was white out snow conditions. There was a couple with an infant in a carier and a two and five year old hiking along with their parents. With the rock scrambles and hand over hand climbing they all made it. Katahdin weather is day to day but bear in mind, we did find snow in August last summer.

TJ aka Teej
04-30-2007, 22:39
Anyone know what the safest time of year is to climb Katahdin?
Anytime between June and September, if the weather is fair, if you start early, if you're in reasonable good health, and if you have good footwear and carry a small pack with food, water, and warm clothes. As Weary noted several posts back, thousands climb Katahdin safely every year. The safest of all trails up and back is probably the Hunt Trail aka the AT.
have fun!

weary
05-01-2007, 07:47
....The safest of all trails up and back is probably the Hunt Trail aka the AT. ....
My vote is for the Hamlin Ridge Trail or the Saddle Trail. Partly because they enable me to spend three days getting up and down the mountain -- a great advantage for some reason as the years linger on.

Both trails leave from Chimney Pond, a lean-to camping area half way up the mountain. The Saddle is quick and direct -- four miles up and back -- but steep. Hamlin ridge is longer but prettier and has only a couple of very short steep sections.

But choose a good day to do the Hamlin Ridge. The views are spectacular for the route includes several miles above timberline -- providing you don't run into Moxie's August snow white out!

Weary

mudhead
05-01-2007, 09:42
All persons should be advised that the blackflies are the worst on the Hamlin trail. When the blackflies are done the deerflies appear. The mooseflies then eat the deerflies. Suggest going up the Hunt trail only.

Brrrb Oregon
05-01-2007, 13:04
I don't think that anyone other than the acrophobic would dispute that the Knife Edge is cool. Awesome would be more like it. I hope I have a chance to hike that trail some day. The question is relative safety, not whether it is cool.

I did mention not having been on that trail because I know looks can be deceiving. I've taken my own kids on the east moraine of Eliot Glacier on Mt. Hood at the age of four or five. It is a steep drop onto some nasty rocks the glacier side, but there is a trail and we kept them on it. There is such a thing as being over-protective.

I am still concerned, though, because of my experience of having a then-twenty-something friend taken on a hike on Mt. Shasta, on an "easy" route, by an "experienced" friends of hers. They took her out on a glacier without crampons, rope, or ice ax, something that people do quite often, only she slipped. When she came to a halt four hundred feet down the mountain, half the skin on her forearm was gone. My husband has done mountain rescues on Mt. Hood, and he says that too often "experienced" translates as "not dead yet." That you have survived doing something without incident does not make it safe.

Ice aside, we have had an accident taking our own kids across a field of rocks like that shown on Katahdin (only not at the top of a ridge), where one of us slipped and fell onto one of them. Where there are rocks like that, and especially where there are rocks like that going through freeze-thaw cycles all winter, there is going to be movement underfoot. You really have to pay attention, you really don't want a huge weight on your back to contend with, and even then, the chances of an ankle turn or something like that is heightened.

IOW, simply assuring yourself that it is unlikely that anyone is going to die isn't necessarily the best way to choose a hiking route, particularly if you are a person who is going to need all of your ligaments and tendons to be in good shape for another hundred miles.

I guess my take would be to take the hikes that might leave you limping home when you either have a car to limp to or you can afford a few zero or single digit days. If not, I'd go for a route with better footing. After all, one would hope that AT thru-hikers spend a lot of time taking notes about all the places they're coming back to during the summers when they only get a few days off to hike, and not a few months.

dblari
05-01-2007, 14:10
Thanks for the advice. I'll hope for a sunny day and heed the advice of the rangers.

etrimboli
05-04-2007, 21:40
I have 2 children who would love to climb Katahdin with me. (10 and 15) Anyone have an opinion on the safety of the trails for children? It would be a great trip but I wouldn't want to put them in a situation where if they trip or make a mistake they would be gravely injured or worse.

TJ aka Teej
05-04-2007, 22:21
I have 2 children who would love to climb Katahdin with me. (10 and 15) Anyone have an opinion on the safety of the trails for children? It would be a great trip but I wouldn't want to put them in a situation where if they trip or make a mistake they would be gravely injured or worse.
:welcome to WhiteBlaze, etrimboli!
My 3 kids all went up the Abol Slide and the Hunt trails before they were ten. My oldest, Billygoat, went up Abol and down via knife edge at 13 with a group of other 13-14 year olds. By my lights, Katahdin isn't that dangerous a mountain - if you know what you're doing and pick your days carefully. Other than skinned knees and sunburns they'd been up 4 or 5 times each by 16 without trouble. Me, I once fell face first down Abol about 10 feet and broke my wrist, nose, cheekbone, and the obital floor under my left eye. And I was 35! :D
Get a rez at Katahdin Stream for three nights, watch the weather and the mooses, rent a canoe, get an early early early start up the Hunt Trail and be prepared to come back down if the kids aren't having fun or the weather rolls in. They, and you, will do just fine.

weary
05-04-2007, 23:25
All the popular Katahdin trails are safe for healthy and reasonably active kids of 10 and 15 Thousands hike the mountain annually. There are a couple of rock scrambles on most of the trails. But they are no more dangerous than climbing a 12 foot ladder.

Frankly I've never heard of a kid being seriously injured on the mountain. No mountain Trail is a sidewalk. On all trails careless people can trip and fall, skinning a knee, occasionally breaking a bone. But I've always considered that a part of growing up.

Weary

mudhead
05-05-2007, 06:16
However, it is prudent to use due caution.

I see alot of young people that need to be on a shorter leash on trails.

I have not fallen from a 12 foot ladder, but I imagine it would not feel good.

People underestimate things all the time.

After several trips accross the Knifedge, it is much calmer. One should still use common sense. And respect for the feel of granite. (Watch, I'll dump later today while gawking around. Find some wood to knock!)