PDA

View Full Version : Weekend hike in Maine

attroll
04-30-2007, 03:19
I am trying to decide on where I want to hike this coming weekend here in Maine. The reason I am writing is not for inputs from anyone. I am looking to see if we could get a few WhiteBlaze user together for a weekend trip on the AT here in Maine.

The section I do depends on who else wants to join me. I can work with anyone.

Do I have any taker on this?

warraghiyagey
04-30-2007, 03:23
I am trying to decide on where I want to hike this coming weekend here in Maine. The reason I am writing is not for inputs from anyone. I am looking to see if we could get a few WhiteBlaze user together for a weekend trip on the AT here in Maine.

The section I do depends on who else wants to join me. I can work with anyone.

Do I ahve any taker on this?

Hey Troll,
I'm certainly interested depending on what area of Maine you're talking. I'm in the Lawrence, Mass, area now right on the NH border. Let me know where you're thinking and I do know of another WB guy from Maine who wanted to get a couple days in before he starts in June.
PM me if you like.
Peace:)

attroll
04-30-2007, 03:43
warraghiyagey

Like I said I am willing to work with anyone that wants to get out. I love hiking any part of the AT here in Maine. I have done 95% of Maine's AT.

If you don't want to travel far we could do something in the Grafton Notch are or the Andover area. We can go further north if you want also. Here are some close options.

Grafton Notch Parking area to East B Hill Road = 10.3 miles
East b Hill Road to South Arm Road = 10.1 miles
Me Highway 17 to South Arm Road = 13.3 miles

Like I said if you want we could go further north. I think we should stay away from the very high elevation still though. There is bound to be some snow still up there.

warraghiyagey
04-30-2007, 04:57
That sounds like a good possibility, the farther south for me the closer the drive which is also good. I just have to see if I can squeeze out a couple of days to come join you, any of your three suggestions sound great. I'll be in touch, Do you know if the Andover House is open yet?:)

rafe
04-30-2007, 08:40
If you make it the southwest corner -- near Gorham or Andover -- I'll make a special effort to be there. Keep in touch.

walkin' wally
04-30-2007, 10:47
I would like to go if I can match the time off. I have the weeks of May 14 and may 21st off. Unless that is too soon. I would like go before the bugs are too bad. :sun

WW

attroll
04-30-2007, 13:01
I would like to go if I can match the time off. I have the weeks of May 14 and may 21st off. Unless that is too soon. I would like go before the bugs are too bad. :sun

WW
Wally, I am talking about this coming weekend May 5 - 6.

hobbit
04-30-2007, 14:50
where you planning on going? as in mountains

walkin' wally
04-30-2007, 19:56
Wally, I am talking about this coming weekend May 5 - 6.

Oops, sorry about that, I read it too fast.

TJ aka Teej
04-30-2007, 21:47
I am trying to decide on where I want to hike this coming weekend here in Maine.
Have fun Rick! I'll be up Baxter the 14th > 16th, doing more wading than hiking if what I hear about trail conditions are true!

warraghiyagey
05-01-2007, 01:40
Hey Troll, looks like I'm a little too booked to take the weekend off for a hike. Headed SOBO though June 1st. Hope to get to meet you some day.:)

attroll
05-01-2007, 02:14
where you planning on going? as in mountains
I am open to anything. If you have any ideas or suggestions let me know. It looks like warraghiyagey canceled on me so I have nothing planned yet.

walkin' wally
05-01-2007, 06:40
If you read the Maine Conditions thread you will see there is still a lot of snow at the lower elevations.

rafe
05-01-2007, 07:53
If you read the Maine Conditions thread you will see there is still a lot of snow at the lower elevations.

That's my concern also, reinforced by some reports from ViewsFromTheTop (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/index-vftt.html). It's been a while since I hiked through deep snow.

attroll
05-01-2007, 09:18
I just got off the phone with The Cabin in Andover and there is still snow in that are and Bear said the trails are not hike able yet. So it looks like i will have to postpone this for this coming weekend. Those thinking about going southbound this weekend may want to hold off some.

rafe
05-01-2007, 10:06
I just got off the phone with The Cabin in Andover and there is still snow in that are and Bear said the trails are not hike able yet. So it looks like i will have to postpone this for this coming weekend. Those thinking about going southbound this weekend may want to hold off some.

How about a hike in lower mountains, near southern NH - say, for example, in the Monadnock-Ossipee area? I'd be up for that.