PDA

View Full Version : Damascus to Troutville shuttle needed

Ezra
09-26-2002, 21:30
I am searching for help with a shuttle from Damascus to Troutville or at least to Pearisburg on October 26. I know that is a long drive so a ride from Damascus to Pearisburg would be a great help,I could use a different person to take me from Pearisburg to Troutville on the morning of Oct.27 My hike starts at US 220 and I'll hike south to Damascus.

The Weasel
09-27-2002, 00:49
Rich---

It will cost, but the price should be fairly reasonable, if you call Mt Rogers Outfitters in Damascus. They do shuttles, I know. Probably cost about $50 - they shuttled me to Erwin, TN in '00 from Damascus for $50 then. Nice people, and they'll try to help you out no matter what. Phone/email: (276) 475-5416, E-Mail [email protected]

The Weasel

dallan
09-30-2002, 13:34
HI! PLEASE EMAIL ME AT [email protected] WITH A REPLY IF YOU WOULD PLEASE! :)

I am going to try to do the AT with my friend, and our only concern (besides the hunters, bears, and freezing winds) is the way we FIND the trail in the snow? I know maps help, but is it next to impossible to know where you're going in the snow? I'm familiar with non-snowy conditions. Please help asap with advice, I can buy the maps up there in Maine, right? Any other advice appreciated. :) God bless....

"happy hiker"

Hikerhead
09-30-2002, 18:18
Most blazes are marked on the trees, not on the ground. If the snow is high enough to cover the tree blazes, I would try to get to town.

If you're lucky enough to be walking in virgin snow, the trail will still be easy to follow. It will be the path without any briars or sticker bushes poking out. Of couse there are balds that don't have trees or bushes. Most of them will have cairns (piles of rocks) or a post stuck in the ground. If you don't see any of these follow the ridge line to where it goes back into the trees and you should spot a Blaze.

I have a friend who hiked around Mt Rogers one winter and he said when they came to the Thomas Knob shelter, the snow was so high that they actually walked over the fence surrounding it and didn't know it.

There's something special about walking on the trail in the snow, especially when the only foot prints are your own.

BTW, I just hiked an 8 mile section of the southern SNP yesterday and was quite surprised by the lack of blazes around the road crossings. That may have been done on purpose.

Kerosene
09-30-2002, 19:58
I've done a number of extended day hikes through what turned out to be pretty deep snow in New York State (I'm afraid I post-holed, DebW, but I didn't think the snow would be that deep in April!). The trail was surprisingly easy to follow, even on the top of flat ridges where there was no obvious route. With older snow, the trailbed will be packed down with hikers who came before you. With a fresh snow, you'll have to keep an eye out for the blazes, but you shouldn't have a problem if the trail is blazed reasonably well. I do recommend that you carry lightweight snowshoes though. I'd hate to try to get through knee-deep snow with a 30-pound pack on my back.